How are the 991 compared to the 997?
Would you trade if you could and why?
Are there some who had com?e from a 991
Old 12-14-2016, 09:25 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

To my mind, the main trade offs are cost, tech and convenience. Obviously you can get 997 gen cars cheaper, but many (most?) have exhausted factory warranty. I opted for a 997.2S largely for cost reasons, and I didn't like the larger size and more cluttered cockpit of the 991. And, in the end, I found the exact color combo and options I wanted in a 997.2S. Drive them all, enjoy the hunt, and see which speaks to you. This is a beauty contest with all 10s!
T
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Spent a bunch of time in a MT 991S, yes it is better faster more refined blah blah but for me the 997 GTS was the perfect combo of raw + civilized. Maybe down the road I may trade it for a 991 GTS but it would have to be really compelling economically...

You just have to drive them both and decide for yourself. Everybody values different things.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

You should definitely drive both and decide what you like. I have owned a 996, a 997, and a 991. All of them were excellent. The 991 is my favorite so far, and as much as I loved my 997, I wouldn't go back.

Think about what you want in a 911 and the choice will become clear.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 PM
starvational
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a very informative article on the topic:

https://www.total911.com/997-vs-991/

Personally, I went with the 997.2S since I liked the look a bit better and I could also get a lot more bang for my buck (sports chrono/full leather/PDK/CPO etc...) than I would with a 991 in the same price range. So it was basically either a 997.2S with a lot of nice options or a base 991 with little options and probably no CPO. Still a win win, but my heart was already set on the 997 and I found the right one. :-)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Hmmm. I don't think that's ever been asked before on the 997 board. I'll search and get back to you....
Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Hmmm. I don't think that's ever been asked before on the 997 board. I'll search and get back to you....
Seriously. this had only been discussed 12 dozen times. all you have to do is Google 997 vs 991, rennlist and you'll get all the threads. I don't understand why this is so hard for people.

Before anyone says it I know I didn't have to read it or comment, it just mystifies me that people repeat the same questions over and over again
Old 12-14-2016, 11:22 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Seriously. this had only been discussed 12 dozen times. all you have to do is Google 997 vs 991, rennlist and you'll get all the threads. I don't understand why this is so hard for people.

Before anyone says it I know I didn't have to read it or comment, it just mystifies me that people repeat the same questions over and over again
I get what you're saying but that's not really helpful. Old threads are old, based on old information and based on input from a set group of users in the past. There is more mileage now for both cars, new experiences, new people and perspectives that could provide additional benefit and more complete knowledge. For instance I got myself back into a 997 very recently despite having the funds for a new 991. My reasons are personal, unique from others and maybe they will resonate with the OP so I'll offer my perspective:

In my view, the 991 is a better looking car from 2 angles: the back, and the front. I love the wider stance and the curvier rear and headlamp angles. However, the 997 to me looks better from the side due to its smaller size.

When the 991 first came out, I thought "wow that's a great looking car." As time went on, my views started changing. Part of this had to do with the fact that I started seeing Panameras everywhere. I wasn't sure if the Panamera was the 4-door version of the 991, or if the 991 was the 2-door version of the Panamera. It wasn't just the looks, it was the interior. Yes, the 991 interior is "nice", but it all felt very Panamera to me. And I don't think the 991 interior even comes close to offerings from Mercedes BMW or Audi, so it started feeling a bit like a half-arsed effort at luxury. If you want to be blown away, step inside a new E class or S class, OMG those are nice cars.

And why is the 991 so large? I mean who is the market for these things? I think the answer is obvious - middle aged men who want to "feel" fast but don't want to commit to actually being "fast." Make no mistake, the 991 is faster. In the S trim or Turbo, it is very quick. But it is NOT faster because of the "nicer" interior or the larger body. It is due to drivetrain/engine improvements and lighter weight. If Porsche had made similar improvements on a smaller chassis, I believe the car would be even quicker than it is now. But being quick and being an actual sports car are no longer the priority (and probably have not been for quite some time for Porsche). There is now equal importance on comfort and luxury and having things like heated seats and quiet fuel efficient engines.

So the problem is, the 991 has a worse interior than a MUCH CHEAPER E-class, and is slower than other similar cars. It's become a "jack of all trades but master of none", so hey, if it's going to go down that road, it'd better have some significant emotional appeal. Yes, it is fun to drive, but is a PDK 991 truly more fun than a manual Boxster or even a Miata or S2000 or a 3 series? Honestly, is it?

Obviously the 997 is also a "compromise" car, with navigation, heated seats and leather interiors and those back seats. But to me the 991 was just a step too far. The 996 has the IMS issues and the 993 is a bit too old for me.

Porsche's flagship will NEVER again be a 2-seat sports car. The market has spoken and it is too small. Porsche cars will only continue to get longer and larger and more "luxed" out. We are going to see hybrid engines and more electronic assists than ever. This is not because it makes the car better. It is because it is what more people want to buy and because regulations demand it.

The 997 for me was an emotional decision, based on my love of the brand and love for sports cars. I also bought a Cayman because I have a thing for 2-seaters. I don't care about "nice" leather and I would prefer having manual roll-down windows if they still made those. Those days are long gone now.
The following users liked this post:
MightyHawk (07-12-2020)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Just make sure the 991 has sports exhaust
Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it's a complete waste of time.
Now, let's get to some new topics. I'll start. What does anyone think about IMS issues with the 996? Any second hand stories about failures to share?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:47 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Get what you like.. I want A 991 4s but can't find one in my price range with options I want. 997.2 is just fine and reliable

Btw that is under 75k with less than 30k miles options pdk sport chrono plus and spasm... nope they are like 80k
Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc

And why is the 991 so large? I mean who is the market for these things? I think the answer is obvious - middle aged men who want to "feel" fast but don't want to commit to actually being "fast." Make no mistake, the 991 is faster. In the S trim or Turbo, it is very quick. But it is NOT faster because of the "nicer" interior or the larger body. It is due to drivetrain/engine improvements and lighter weight. If Porsche had made similar improvements on a smaller chassis, I believe the car would be even quicker than it is now. But being quick and being an actual sports car are no longer the priority (and probably have not been for quite some time for Porsche). There is now equal importance on comfort and luxury and having things like heated seats and quiet fuel efficient engines.
I'd like to add a little more to this debate....

Is the 991 really that much "bigger"? I hear this as a complaint about the 991 on a regular basis. But how much bigger is it, really? I went from a 997 turbo cabriolet to a 991 turbo s cabriolet. The 991 is 1.1" longer than the 997, 1.1" wider, 0.2" lower and weighs 133 lbs. less. Is that really bigger? Not by much....

My 997 was just as comfortable and luxurious as my 991. It had heated seats. It had a quiet, fuel efficient engine. This "softening" of the original 911 concept isn't new to the 991 series cars.

I don't bring this up to bash the 997 or to praise the 991. I only bring it up to point out that many of the things that we criticize in the 991 are also present in the 997, and even the 996. The 997 isn't as far from the 996 as many people assume, and the 991 isn't as far from the 997 as many people assume.

Porsche has done a masterful job over the years of making incremental improvements to the best sports car the money can buy.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Yes, it's a complete waste of time.
Now, let's get to some new topics. I'll start. What does anyone think about IMS issues with the 996? Any second hand stories about failures to share?
I believe 5CHN3LL can share a few stories with you.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:58 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

13 posts and no word about electric steering yet? tsk tsk
Old 12-15-2016, 05:09 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'd like to add a little more to this debate....

Is the 991 really that much "bigger"? I hear this as a complaint about the 991 on a regular basis. But how much bigger is it, really? I went from a 997 turbo cabriolet to a 991 turbo s cabriolet. The 991 is 1.1" longer than the 997, 1.1" wider, 0.2" lower and weighs 133 lbs. less. Is that really bigger? Not by much....

My 997 was just as comfortable and luxurious as my 991. It had heated seats. It had a quiet, fuel efficient engine. This "softening" of the original 911 concept isn't new to the 991 series cars.

I don't bring this up to bash the 997 or to praise the 991. I only bring it up to point out that many of the things that we criticize in the 991 are also present in the 997, and even the 996. The 997 isn't as far from the 996 as many people assume, and the 991 isn't as far from the 997 as many people assume.

Porsche has done a masterful job over the years of making incremental improvements to the best sports car the money can buy.
To be honest the 997 feels large to me. When I go from my Cayman to the 997 it always surprises me how big the car is. I almost always drive the Porsches alone and it is disconcerting having vast empty spaces to my right and a cavernous void behind me. 1" wider and longer is a significant difference to a car, both performance wise and looks wise. Make the current 991 1" wider and it will have trouble fitting into certain parking spots. But besides all that, you just got to ask, why exactly is the car bigger? Why is BMW butchering their brand by making the 5 and 3 series so dam large? Who is it appealing to? Am I part of that demographic? I am not, and the direction of the 991 does not appeal to me at all, which is why I bought the 981 generation of the Cayman as opposed to a 991 and a 997 iteration of the 911.

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997?