Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 02:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
As of now, I bought the car with just a tic under 60K on it 4 years ago, and it now has 97K. I drive it as it was intended to be driven, but I take exceptional care of it too. It simply does not use any oil. I rarely have to add any, maybe after a track weekend I'll be down a 1/2 quart, but that's it. I get a Blackstone report at each oil change, and it reads near perfect - within each spec. No lights, no power loss. So right now, I'd say no scoring. Now's the time to sell it I think. These threads are starting to freak me out!
Why not get the Bore Scope Inspection?? Peace of mind and also a must for resale these days. Any seasoned buyer will want to do the BS Inspection if he's smart.
Now I should explain I don't drive my Porsche's much anymore. I probably drive 2-3K miles a year. Used mainly as a date night/Sunday driver/short overnight trip car. I also drive it regularly to keep everything exercised. My Bore Scoring Fears are ended once I get it Scoped since my added on miles are so few.

*When I locate the Silver/Black 991 w/manual Transmission and metal sunroof(not glass) in a year or 2 I'll most likely be selling my 997 but until then it will be thoroughly enjoyed!

Linder get the Inspection dude.

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-30-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:39 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dubsiren
I got a 21k quote from a local shop for a 4.0L build. An 18k quote for a used engine. LN is my next stop and they are close to me, so hopefully they can help.
"Ticket XXXX has been replied to.
Jake Raby wrote:
Sir,
Thank you for the message.
Unfortunately we will not be able to meet your needs. A huge chunk of our purchasers have the same time frame as you, and the slots of time for those completions are taken first.
Currently I am backlogged till Q3 2023 for completions, with no opportunities for anything before these dates. At the present only 4 slots in Q3 remain, after our last webinar filled 21 slots in less than 4 hours. That was held last Thursday."

(I think Im going to use the LN ENG. RND MOTOR If and or needed, when the time may come.)

Last edited by BNB911; 01-30-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Q answered in another thread
The following users liked this post:
dubsiren (01-30-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 03:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by BNB911
"Ticket XXXX has been replied to.
Jake Raby wrote:
Sir,
Thank you for the message.
Unfortunately we will not be able to meet your needs. A huge chunk of our purchasers have the same time frame as you, and the slots of time for those completions are taken first.
Currently I am backlogged till Q3 2023 for completions, with no opportunities for anything before these dates. At the present only 4 slots in Q3 remain, after our last webinar filled 21 slots in less than 4 hours. That was held last Thursday."

(I think Im going to use the LN ENG. RND MOTOR If and or needed, when the time may come.)
Kind of disturbing....
Old 01-31-2022, 11:22 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 609 Posts

Being in Chicago, I see a trip to Momence in my future.
Anyone is welcome to stop in and see what we do and how we do it. We do all our machining in house. All we ask is that you call and let us know before coming so we can have a heads up.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:44 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Anyone is welcome to stop in and see what we do and how we do it. We do all our machining in house. All we ask is that you call and let us know before coming so we can have a heads up.
Mr. Navarro,
I called in today and had truly the pleasure of speaking with George. He was very informative, and had many great ideas and additional information that I didn't know about. In addition great product knowledge in Re: To my year 2006 S IMS.
With getting back into the "Porsche" world again a lot has changed. Your web page has some really good information on it and all of the videos are a great resource for any Porsche owner.

Last edited by BNB911; 01-31-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:25 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

I got a 21k quote from a local shop for a 4.0L build. An 18k quote for a used engine. LN is my next stop and they are close to me, so hopefully they can help.
Call LN first, they no longer even offer RND Engine. But they gave me a few places that are somewhat close that can handle the build.

Ex: Kelly Moss Motor sports Madison Wi., Olsen Motor Sports Downers Grove, IL., Andy Speed and Suspension, Next door to LN ENG.

Anyone on reenlist spend 25-30K + with any of the above shops?
Old 01-31-2022, 02:00 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 609 Posts

Call LN first, they no longer even offer RND Engine. But they gave me a few places that are somewhat close that can handle the build.

Ex: Kelly Moss Motor sports Madison Wi., Olsen Motor Sports Downers Grove, IL., Andy Speed and Suspension, Next door to LN ENG.

Anyone on reenlist spend 25-30K + with any of the above shops?
Our builder is too backed up so we're not booking any more RND builds at this time until we get caught up. Sorry about that.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:26 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

WOW me 2!

I also see us spending a boat load of cash.

What do you think the Flat 6 Innovations stage II. Engine goes for ?

I have a September completion date for a stage II and am at $26,500. I am pulling the motor and installing the rebuilt. When you look at what all you get plus the reputation that FSI has I really think it is a good value. I have a thread going and will update with my final cost.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:57 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I have a September completion date for a stage II and am at $26,500. I am pulling the motor and installing the rebuilt. When you look at what all you get plus the reputation that FSI has I really think it is a good value. I have a thread going and will update with my final cost.
People who purchased when you did do not know how lucky they were.I tried to tell them, but they just thought it was a sales ploy.
The Q2 2023 proposal completions we sent out after last week's webinar are up 9K over what your engine is proposed at. No one seems to care. Some Q3 slots were filled at these same prices, based on the stage and engine designation, since we filled Q2 in less than one hour following the webinar. I had some component allocations that got us 1/3 through Q3, but those are all filled now. I expect that the remaining Q3 and all Q4 slots will be an additional 4-5K over the prices that were gone over in last week's webinar for Q3. We won't know till I hold the Webinars for those in April, and September 2022.
We just proposed a 9A1 GTS @ 4.2L for over 50K, which is up 15K over what that engine sold for in 2019.

Put simply, if anyone had prices from us at an earlier date, those are wiped away completely. That said, no proposed engines are having their prices changed, since we have component allocations, and costs in place at the time of the proposal for all those jobs. Once in stone- it will not change here.
I don't see these dropping, and I don't think that I'll be able to work from a "made to order" perspective after Q4 2023, or maybe even Q3. If that happens we will shut all sales down, work away the backlog completely, and then change to another ordering format, only selling engines as they are completed, with a known cost, and end result.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 01-31-2022 at 03:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
sburke91 (01-31-2022), Scalp_em (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 03:15 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
People who purchased when you did do not know how lucky they were.I tried to tell them, but they just thought it was a sales ploy.
The Q2 2023 proposal completions we sent out after last week's webinar are up 9K over what your engine is proposed at. No one seems to care. Some Q3 slots were filled at these same prices, based on the stage and engine designation, since we filled Q2 in less than one hour following the webinar. I had some component allocations that got us 1/3 through Q3, but those are all filled now. I expect that the remaining Q3 and all Q4 slots will be an additional 4-5K over the prices that were gone over in last week's webinar for Q3. We won't know till I hold the Webinars for those in April, and September 2022.
We just proposed a 9A1 GTS @ 4.2L for over 50K, which is up 15K over what that engine sold for in 2019.

Put simply, if anyone had prices from us at an earlier date, those are wiped away completely. That said, no proposed engines are having their prices changed, since we have component allocations, and costs in place at the time of the proposal for all those jobs. Once in stone- it will not change here.
I don't see these dropping, and I don't think that I'll be able to work from a "made to order" perspective after Q4 2023, or maybe even Q3. If that happens we will shut all sales down, work away the backlog completely, and then change to another ordering format, only selling engines as they are completed, with a known cost, and end result.
Jake, For the sake Of ALL PORSCHE MANKIND I hope you are 24 or 25 years old!

Last edited by BNB911; 01-31-2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:22 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Jake, For the sake Of ALL PORSCHE MANKIND I hope you are 24 or 25 years old!
46, going on 66.
BNB911 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 03:34 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I am definitely excited to be part of this process! So far I can’t say enough how good it has been and we really haven’t even gotten started on the “fun” stuff. I will be sure to show this to my wife to help support the spend 😂
Old 01-31-2022, 03:45 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow, thats unbelievable! Glad I have a completion date for my Stage II this October.
I have been very impressed with the process so far and the lengths you and FSI have gone through to ensure that my and other engines will have everything needed to be completed on time. Oh and I do realize how lucky I am and am very thankful to have pulled the trigger when I did.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Jake---> Also Aircooled parts prices and rebuild costs have hit the roof. At Aker's Porsche my Indy, they are currently rebuilding top end of 993 motor with the familiar/common clogged head SAI passages
Cost 5-6 yrs ago was about 11K. Now closer to $20K

Old 01-31-2022, 04:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Jake---> Also Aircooled parts prices and rebuild costs have hit the roof. At Aker's Porsche my Indy, they are currently rebuilding top end of 993 motor with the familiar/common clogged head SAI passages
Cost 5-6 yrs ago was about 11K. Now closer to $20K
The last 993 @ 4.1L I proposed went from 70K, to 88K in 11 weeks, and that was with me doing the labor and not including any increases from that perspective.
Due to my advanced way of doing things it took 22 months for the inflation to hit us cost wise. That forethought is the only thing that kept shortages from hitting us, because I took the parts from everyone else, plus I became my own importer of components. I used C19 to my advantage when it came to the rest of the market, and I continue to.

I'm trying to make lemonade from lemons, and use this as a way to change the program around, and make it simpler. It means that every engine will be built with every option, and sold when completed for the 2024 and beyond season. The down side to that is we will have hundreds of people on the list waiting to buy one when I finally complete the first ones. I have stopped taking orders at this point. I've sent the same canned reply out 11 times so far today. So many people waited too long, and they didn't even know it.
groovzilla (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?