Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 06:29 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Andy runs the show.. He seemed disinterested to me, but that was a year or so ago.
idk, Have you ever heard of Kevin Singleton Exotic Engine Development Reno Nv. ? He did my last Ilmor build, waiting to hear back from him. Im sure he can do Porsche, he does Air planes. Motor new was more than my car with mods.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:10 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Haven't heard of him, but I don't get out much.
Anyone can bolt an engine together, and get mixed results. The biggest issue I see if people that treat the M9X like any other engine they have built. These engines have idiosyncrasies that will bite you hard. I've seen people act like Superman on their first build, and they make every classic mistake in the book. This is especially true if they follow the factory workshop manual, which has many wrong practices, and doesn't outline any of the most important areas of concern. Even some of the illustrations are wrong.

That's why I used to hold my classes, but Covid killed that.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Male Chimp in Northern California only charging $9999 for complete rebuild. No Core charge & no waiting list.

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-01-2022 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:22 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Let me know how he works out.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:35 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Male Chimp in Northern California only charging $9999 for complete rebuild. No Core charge & no waiting list.

$9500.00 On Ebay, what a deal Look out Jake.

This auction is NOT for an engine assembly but rather to have YOUR 3.8L ,3.6L or 3.4L M97, M96 etc: Porsche engine assembly rebuilt professionally All of our engine rebuilds are done in-house by factory trained Porsche technicians from Porsche Germany.

Don't Buy used engine rebuild your same engine and start with Zero Mile

What does our engine rebuild ?
  • Complete dismantling of engine down to crankshaft
  • Hot tank cleaning all engine components to remove sludge, oil, carbon deposits & other contaminants.
  • Crankshaft magnaflux
  • New engine main & connecting rod bearings
  • Hardware upgrade on crankcase & connecting rods
  • Cylinder heads pressure checked, cleaned & complete valve job
  • All new gaskets & seals from bottom to top
  • IMS Upgrade with new Ceramic Plane bearing 1000 times better then any regulator bearing in the Market
  • New timing guide rails & paddles
  • New timing tensioners if Need it additional cost applies
  • Oil pump checked
  • New air oil separator
  • New water pump & low temperature thermostat (160 deg)
  • New engine drive belt
  • New engine idler pulleys if need it additional cost applies
  • New fuel injectors if need it additional cost applies
  • Pistons are checked & cleaned and piston rings replaced additional cost applies
  • Cylinders are checked for cracks or scoring. If they need to be replaced, additional cost applies.
  • Any hard components such as camshafts, crankshaft, cylinder heads, cylinder block halves that are not usable and need to be replaced will incur additional cost.
  • Engine is shipped back DRY, no fluids, you will need to add the proper fluids.

Does not include labor to R&R engine assembly if you plan to ship the vehicle to our location. Please contact us for further information if you plan to send the vehicle. We work with shipping brokers that can transport vehicles all over the country to our location for fair rates.

Last edited by BNB911; 02-01-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

So... They take it apart, clean it up, and put it back together again.
Classic.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:21 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Haven't heard of him, but I don't get out much.
Anyone can bolt an engine together, and get mixed results. The biggest issue I see if people that treat the M9X like any other engine they have built. These engines have idiosyncrasies that will bite you hard. I've seen people act like Superman on their first build, and they make every classic mistake in the book. This is especially true if they follow the factory workshop manual, which has many wrong practices, and doesn't outline any of the most important areas of concern. Even some of the illustrations are wrong.

That's why I used to hold my classes, but Covid killed that.
With a Rottler H80 CNC Diamond Cyl. Hone In house, I wouldn't say that Exotic Engine Development just bolts them together. I know he has done some Porsche engines just waiting my turn in line for a call back!
But hopefully, all this Covid crap, and shortages gets behind us soon.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:28 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

So... They take it apart, clean it up, and put it back together again.
Classic.
Clear example of why anyone looking for any service from PPI to a rebuild needs to understand exactly what the possibilities are and what they are getting.
This applies to buyers too; one must do more than take a seller’s claim of “rebuilt engine” at face value.
Wow.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BNB911
With a Rottler H80 CNC Diamond Cyl. Hone In house, I wouldn't say that Exotic Engine Development just bolts them together. I know he has done some Porsche engines just waiting my turn in line for a call back!
But hopefully, all this Covid crap, and shortages gets behind us soon.
Hopefully not.
The issue that builders have with these engines is they don't know what they don't know. Its the little things that get them, right down to oil leaks because of sealant choice, and surface preparation.

I build other engines too, and the rule I have is to never treat any engine like it is simple, and never think that that every engine is the same. These engines put people in their places that have been building aircooled Porsche engines for 40 years, too. I used to have whole classes filled just with those builders, because they got tired of making mistakes that cost them everything they could have made. Why? Because they treated it like something it wasn't
Guess what, so did I in the beginning. I made 3 critical mistakes on my first one, because I treated it like something it wasn't.

I build engines for dirt bikes, bulldozers, British armored vehicles and Ferraris. Each time I try something new I learn what I didn't know very vividly. That's why from a professional stand point I do one thing, and do it well. I won't do anything else, or venture outside my area of specialty.
The following users liked this post:
sda (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 02:13 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BNB911
Im talking to Kelly Moss about this fall. Please keep me in the loop. Are there any other options out there? No one responded to me when I asked if anyone out there has actually spent 20K+ on a build. So I have to ask, Is a steel sleeve an option?
I wish My fishing boat engine would fit.
Check out this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-sleeves.html
Old 02-02-2022, 02:40 PM
BNB911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by southbay
Thanks! A Ton of Info, I couldn't do all that. I have to do what I do and let them do what they do.

Quick Reply: Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?