Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:41 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?

2006 Carrera S, 48K miles, original owner.
Car has had light left side darkening issue since new.
Recently worse, warm idle rough, some unidentified noises upon startup.

This while not a daily driver is my go to car. A year for rebuild is not doable and cost is a real issue.

Has anyone in NY area had a rebuild done by indie shop?

Petza has kindly mentioned RND Europarts which has a long block option, not sure how core return works.

Car is at tech shop for borescoping.

Cut it loose as is, rebuild oem or replace block. And where?

Horror stories about cars sitting in shops and promises.

Any feedback from you folks would be a help.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Petza has kindly mentioned RND Europarts which has a long block option, not sure how core return works.
Best thing to do is contact them direct.

Telephone: 770-766-1200 E-mail: support@rndeuroparts.com

LNE and FSI have an involvement so you would be in good hands.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

If cost is an issue then only you can decide whats going to work. How much do you have to spend?

Cheapest is to just sell it and let someone else deal with it. If you want to keep it then you can find a used engine to drop in, get an RND or go the LN route. They get more expensive in that order.

Having the LN/Raby rebuild gives you a more powerful engine with nikasil liners etc. Pete and I went that way but it takes time and $$$. You can find Pete and my threads on here re the process.

If you find a used or RND, then your indie can probably drop it in in a few weeks.

Mine was a bit of a hybrid. LN did the bore/liner and IMS work and my mechanic in Toronto did the R&R. Was less time but still 5 months in total.

Sorry to hear
Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpjli2
2006 Carrera S, 48K miles, original owner.
Car has had light left side darkening issue since new.
Recently worse, warm idle rough, some unidentified noises upon startup.

This while not a daily driver is my go to car. A year for rebuild is not doable and cost is a real issue.

Has anyone in NY area had a rebuild done by indie shop?

Car is at tech shop for borescoping.

Cut it loose as is, rebuild oem or replace block. And where?

Horror stories about cars sitting in shops and promises.

Any feedback from you folks would be a help.
Seems bore scoring is another big issue on 997.1 cars after IMS. I think it's time to sue/Lawsuit Porsche. $100k plus for car price and bore scoring in 48k miles.. IMHO it is too much to take. Other brand cars are running fine for multi thousands miles, no engine/bore issues. This is clearly porsche design issue and they should address it and do something about scoring.

I would try contact Porsche and a good lawyer before anything.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:21 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Pors968
Seems bore scoring is another big issue on 997.1 cars after IMS. I think it's time to sue/Lawsuit Porsche. $100k plus for car price and bore scoring in 48k miles.. IMHO it is too much to take. Other brand cars are running fine for multi thousands miles, no engine/bore issues. This is clearly porsche design issue and they should address it and do something about scoring.

And when you get the door slammed in your face, go back to looking at your options

Bore scoring may turn in to the next IMS class action suit and I guess someone has to start the process. I will keep my documentation for when someone wins the case

I talked to Porsche and they said you are SOL but I didn't push it hard or far
Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's see what the guy's tech says.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know there are several shops in Florida successfully rebuilding M96/97 motors using all of the LN components. Successfully defined as work having been done 4 - 5 years ago and the cars still running strong on road and track today. One guy had his done at Vortex in Tampa and he tracks the pee out of it be but he's not on RL. There is another guy who had his done at Tune RS in Coral Springs and I think he has close to 70k road and track miles on it since the rebuild. I believe his screen name is Hardback and is on the 996 Forum. You might contact him. There is nothing unique about Florida shops so there must be qualified shops in NY has well. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:54 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Best thing to do is contact them direct.

Telephone: 770-766-1200 E-mail: support@rndeuroparts.com

LNE and FSI have an involvement so you would be in good hands.
I have a call in.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:58 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vern1
If cost is an issue then only you can decide whats going to work. How much do you have to spend?

Cheapest is to just sell it and let someone else deal with it. If you want to keep it then you can find a used engine to drop in, get an RND or go the LN route. They get more expensive in that order.

Having the LN/Raby rebuild gives you a more powerful engine with nikasil liners etc. Pete and I went that way but it takes time and $$$. You can find Pete and my threads on here re the process.

If you find a used or RND, then your indie can probably drop it in in a few weeks.

Mine was a bit of a hybrid. LN did the bore/liner and IMS work and my mechanic in Toronto did the R&R. Was less time but still 5 months in total.

Sorry to hear
I need a car regardless. nothing is cheap that goes nice. I am happy with the power delivery as is. Have intake exhaust chip mods which is also the answer to getting help/lawyering up for me Thank you, big loss
Old 12-08-2016, 04:06 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pors968

I think Ims is a non issue for 2006+ .1 cars. The killer is bore scoring. If ever a car was going to thrive on maintenance and TLC it would have been mine. I cannot push Porsche due to issue I mentioned in my response to Vern. Great idea though. They screwed the pooch with this motor.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Let's see what the guy's tech says.
Waiting. Not sure what I want to hear. Where's the emo with the guy pouring a drink? Or two

I bought it off off lease on low balloon payment and have always worried about left tail pipe lightly sooted. The only way I could get in to ownership. In hind sight...well you know about the things you do for love. A$$ bitten pretty well describes it. I will say, and my wife (bless her) agrees, the car has been a great source on enjoyment for over 10 years.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:21 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Worth noting that PNA did a scoping, compression and leakdown test at 3000 miles and pronounced "no fault with motor, not even broken in yet" Go figure
Old 12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
I know there are several shops in Florida successfully rebuilding M96/97 motors using all of the LN components. Successfully defined as work having been done 4 - 5 years ago and the cars still running strong on road and track today. One guy had his done at Vortex in Tampa and he tracks the pee out of it be but he's not on RL. There is another guy who had his done at Tune RS in Coral Springs and I think he has close to 70k road and track miles on it since the rebuild. I believe his screen name is Hardback and is on the 996 Forum. You might contact him. There is nothing unique about Florida shops so there must be qualified shops in NY has well. Good luck!
I'll check over there after I hear from tech. You would think so. Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rick DeMan could be, can I say, da man up that way.

http://demanmotorsport.com/
Old 12-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about the bad news OP, where are you located?

Quick Reply: Damn! Car in for #6 cyl scoring. Which way to go?