Sponsored by:

I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:53 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
I wonder if this is why synthetic has to be used in these engines, as conventional dino consumed at this rate (only 3.6 or 3.8 liter) would foul the cats, no ?

If this small an engine can consume 1 quart every 700 miles or so, imagine an old 7 liter Ford 427 or 428 going through a quart every 350 miles ? Twice the displacement, only 6-7 quart pan, ouch.

Smokeee.
This is interesting in CA if you fail smog for excessive oil consumption isn't the manufacturer obligated to fix it if it is a 'normal' design result if it's under a coo?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:54 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosanchez
This is interesting in CA if you fail smog for excessive oil consumption isn't the manufacturer obligated to fix it if it is a 'normal' design result if it's under a coo?
I meant cpo
Old 04-27-2016, 11:23 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

I've just created a Poll on this issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68774
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Vern. Hope things work out as best as possible.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Sorry to hear about this Vern. Hope things work out as best as possible.
Thanks. Looking at a few options. Now if I could just get any shops in Toronto to return my calls....

Cant even give my money away
Old 04-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Any more updates to share? I've been following closely, as I'm also Canadian and really dislike how the dollar has tanked in the last 1.5 years. It seems to me that there may just not be the expertise in Canada for a rebuild - that's a bad way of putting it. I'm sure someone in our country has the ability and expertise to rebuild an M96/97, but they just aren't well known, or do enough volume, and there would be a longish wait. The RND off the shelf solution sounds like the best bet to me, but obviously the dollar has an impact. Any idea how much one of their motors costs?

A quick search of car-part.com only shows three salvage motors available, and the wreckers want US$15k for one. While that price may be negotiable, I think for that price you might as well do a rebuild. That said, I don't think LA Dismantlers is on car-part.com, you could try calling them direct, they seem to be the largest Porsche sports car dismantler around.

If you do go the salvage route, dealing with a yard in the LKQ network has benefits. I once got a salvage Benz engine through an LKQ yard in Ontario. The engine actually came from California (the yard I dealt with was on Ontario, Canada, not California, to erase any confusion). I paid the yard in Ontario after we negotiated a price, and the engine arrived at my engine builder's shop a few weeks later. No need to mess with customs or shipping, their network did it all. It was maybe kind of backwards, I think the engine actually physically went from California to Ontario, the finally to me in Alberta.

Best of luck.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Cpiendl
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw your thread, sorry to hear about that. On the Hershey drive your car was moving really good. Tomorrow I'll call my buddies shop in Oakville who does all the work on my Porsches. I know they are just doing a 05 C4S engine rebuild right now that the IMS took a crap(big bearing style so you have to split block). I know he has someone he swears by for fitting the block back together because they are tricky as hell to do right. I'll let you know...
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Info

PM sent.
Cheers
=L=
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The Canadian dollar taking a dump really hammered 1/2 dozen of my buyers.. They were in my queue and had made their initial and intermediate payments, but the final payment was the one that hurt...

We are still selling engines to Canadians, just as many this year as last year.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

for sure 05 c4s 997.1? i thought the wide bodies AWD models did not come out until 06. it's not a 996 is it?

Originally Posted by Cpiendl
Just saw your thread, sorry to hear about that. On the Hershey drive your car was moving really good. Tomorrow I'll call my buddies shop in Oakville who does all the work on my Porsches. I know they are just doing a 05 C4S engine rebuild right now that the IMS took a crap(big bearing style so you have to split block). I know he has someone he swears by for fitting the block back together because they are tricky as hell to do right. I'll let you know...
Old 04-29-2016, 12:21 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The Canadian dollar taking a dump really hammered 1/2 dozen of my buyers.. They were in my queue and had made their initial and intermediate payments, but the final payment was the one that hurt...

We are still selling engines to Canadians, just as many this year as last year.
People seem to be happy that the CAD$ is going back up...but they shouldn't be as it's expected to go back down again Canada's economy had a huge boom for that short period and the Bank of Canada is prepared to lower interest rates if needed to bring it back down so people should buy their parts now.

Jake what are the rpm limitations on a 997.1 C2S engine? I was suprised to see a 997 gt3 case and it looked nothing like a regular 997 case....it looked like a 964/993 case! Mind Blown!

My cylinders seem to alright for now, no smoke or huge oil burn but the seed is planted so I'm thinking long term.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Thanks. Looking at a few options. Now if I could just get any shops in Toronto to return my calls....

Cant even give my money away
I asked a Porsche aficionado friend of mine who happens to live in Toronto. Big Porsche guy... He uses Downtown Fine Cars – which is an authorized Porsche Dealership I'm told.

He also sent me a pdf list of techs in the area, pm me your email address and I'd be happy to fwd it to you if you like.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaboteur
The RND off the shelf solution sounds like the best bet to me, but obviously the dollar has an impact. Any idea how much one of their motors costs?
According to the receipt it was $17,500 (3.6L M96.05) but that's what my indie shop charged me (excluding the r/r labor of course), so I don't know what they paid SSF. It also included the IMS Solution. RND didn't have a motor for me pre-built on the shelf, so they agreed to install The Solution for just the upcharge parts difference between it and the LN ceramic retrofit, as they were still in the process of building it. I'm not sure how much it would cost, or even if they would do the upgrade, to an already-finished engine. I didn't have to pay any core charge, as mine was deemed fine. I also didn't have to pre-pay the core charge and get refunded, as they had my old engine to evaluate long before the new one was completed. My old one was shipped to them in November, the new one wasn't completed and shipped until the beginning of March, so my case is the exception. As I have said previously, SSK and RND are fantastic to work with, the same kind of straight-up over-the-top ethical philosophy as Jake. Which comes as no surprise, as one would not expect him to let his name get tangled up with anyone of a lesser attitude.

Last edited by Ben Z; 04-29-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm shocked by some of the oil consumption figures you folks are reporting and the P company limits. I had cars when I was a kid that would use more than 1 qt/1000 miles and I knew that meant something wasn't right. How a modern high end sports car can use that much and be "ok" just doesn't compute. Especially when others report little if any consumption. I feel for the OP and some of you other posters and wish you good luck.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake what are the rpm limitations on a 997.1 C2S engine? I was suprised to see a 997 gt3 case and it looked nothing like a regular 997 case....it looked like a 964/993 case! Mind Blown!
7,400 RPM at absolute max. Hydraulic lifters and tensioners limit this, along with junk rod bolts. I have one combo that can spin 9k, nothing inside of it has a Porsche part number.

Yes, the GT3 and Turbo used the Mezger block, based from an M64 engine, with some mods.

As for the RND engine, those guys have really ran with that program.... Very happy to see them putting to use what we developed so well. SSF is a great company to work with, most of the parts you guys buy are imported by SSF, you just don't know them, as they do not sell to individuals.

Quick Reply: I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine