Sponsored by:

I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
yes, they rebuild the engine.....at your cost.....due to their sheety engineering

Even though the car is still under CPO Warranty???
Old 04-26-2016, 06:27 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Under warranty you will pay a deductible at best, maybe nothing. But you will likely be in for an uphill battle before they agree to rebuild the engine. Let's see what they say about your oil consumption first. The fact that you have a well documented consumption history helps your case.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
I am curious if I should be worried or consider bore scoping before my CPO runs out. I have a 2009 Base C2 Cab that came from Philly/NJ with 20K miles and now has 25K miles.

Since I have had it, it does consume about 3/4 quart of oil every 400-500 miles and I do have sooty tail pipes. The soot is evenly distributed and there is no smoke at all.

When I drive it, I always insure it gets to 200 in oil temp and I leave the garage immediately after it starts and down revs to 800 RPMs. I also keep it under 4K RPMs until oil temp gets to about 175-200. However I'm not sure what the POs did and not sure if my oil consumption could be because the POs did not follow these guidelines...
I wouldn't be too worried about sooty tail pipes with DFI engines as long as it is roughly the same on both sides. My Cayenne has nearly 120k miles and both tail pipes have soot, and the engine still runs seriously strong. Oil analyses always show very good results after each change.

My 09 997 C2 with 71k miles also has soot in both tail pipes and I burn on average 0.5 qt per 622 miles (driving is almost exclusively spirited in nature as this is my weekend car) and I do an oil analyses after each change and these have shown very good results.

Also I think the amount of soot you see can be a function of the exhaust setup you have (bypass installed, side muffler delete etc) can all contribute to the distance the gasses and particles have to travel and how much of them get deposited in the system vs being ejected.

Hope all goes well with your testing. Please update us with results.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 PM
gopirates
Racer

Originally Posted by EMC2
I wouldn't be too worried about sooty tail pipes with DFI engines as long as it is roughly the same on both sides. My Cayenne has nearly 120k miles and both tail pipes have soot, and the engine still runs seriously strong. Oil analyses always show very good results after each change.

My 09 997 C2 with 71k miles also has soot in both tail pipes and I burn on average 0.5 qt per 622 miles (driving is almost exclusively spirited in nature as this is my weekend car) and I do an oil analyses after each change and these have shown very good results.

Also I think the amount of soot you see can be a function of the exhaust setup you have (bypass installed, side muffler delete etc) can all contribute to the distance the gasses and particles have to travel and how much of them get deposited in the system vs being ejected.

Hope all goes well with your testing. Please update us with results.
Thanks for the input EMC2. It is good to hear from another owner of a '09 Base C2. My soot is pretty even on both pipes. AFAIK the exhaust setup is all stock with exception of changing out my tips. Also your oil consumption is very similar to mine.

I'll keep you all posted. This will most likely be a long process as they want me to drive 1000 miles before I report back. That is typically about 2.5 months for me. I was also looking at info on AOS failures last week, though since I have no smoke I was leaning away from that.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input EMC2. It is good to hear from another owner of a '09 Base C2. My soot is pretty even on both pipes. AFAIK the exhaust setup is all stock with exception of changing out my tips. Also your oil consumption is very similar to mine.

I'll keep you all posted. This will most likely be a long process as they want me to drive 1000 miles before I report back. That is typically about 2.5 months for me. I was also looking at info on AOS failures last week, though since I have no smoke I was leaning away from that.
Yes with the suggested max consumption being 1.6qt's per 622 miles (997.2) I figure being at 1/3 or even 1/2 that value should not be too much of a concern if you regularly drive in such a way that you burn off condensates.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
I wonder if this is why synthetic has to be used in these engines, as conventional dino consumed at this rate (only 3.6 or 3.8 liter) would foul the cats, no ?

If this small an engine can consume 1 quart every 700 miles or so, imagine an old 7 liter Ford 427 or 428 going through a quart every 350 miles ? Twice the displacement, only 6-7 quart pan, ouch.

Smokeee.
Reminds me of my 1948 Ford "woody" - I used to carry a 5 gallon container of reclaimed oil and added oil whenever I filled up with gas - good old flathead.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 PM
MBMotorsports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raby and California don't make much sense for me here in Toronto paying in C$

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

I can help you out, $13k for fully rebuilt engine with 1 year warranty. Picked up by UPS freight from your door and delivered the same way once finished. Includes resleeved cylinders and you don't have to wait a year or pay 20k. Timeframe is around 1.5-2 months, we also have ready engines available. We work with a lot of customers from Canada, just sold 4 engines this past week, one of them is going to Canada.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh boy... as long as all you engine rebuilders play nice, this thread is proving to be very helpful.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MBMotorsports
Raby and California don't make much sense for me here in Toronto paying in C$

Thanks
I can help you out, $13k for fully rebuilt engine with 1 year warranty. Picked up by UPS freight from your door and delivered the same way once finished. Includes resleeved cylinders and you don't have to wait a year or pay 20k. Timeframe is around 1.5-2 months, we also have ready engines available. We work with a lot of customers from Canada, just sold 4 engines this past week, one of them is going to Canada.[/QUOTE]

I am curious as to how what you offer is different from RNB's product? I assume you use the nikasil sleeves but do you do the isms retrofit? Long block?

And what is the price if you get an engine already built? Do you provide a credit if the engine is sent to you after the other is installed? Not keen on a 2 month wait. And I assume that's US$. Can PM me if that works better for you
Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 10:42 PM
MBMotorsports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can help you out, $13k for fully rebuilt engine with 1 year warranty. Picked up by UPS freight from your door and delivered the same way once finished. Includes resleeved cylinders and you don't have to wait a year or pay 20k. Timeframe is around 1.5-2 months, we also have ready engines available. We work with a lot of customers from Canada, just sold 4 engines this past week, one of them is going to Canada.
I am curious as to how what you offer is different from RNB's product? I assume you use the nikasil sleeves but do you do the isms retrofit? Long block?

And what is the price if you get an engine already built? Do you provide a credit if the engine is sent to you after the other is installed? Not keen on a 2 month wait. And I assume that's US$. Can PM me if that works better for you
Thanks
[/QUOTE]

Will send you pm with all details.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Just a thought, but if you get a chance before taking the car to the dealer, you could pull the airbox (10 min job) to check if you have any oil in the throttle body. That could also be a sign of an issue with the AOS, and another possible cause of increased oil consumption, although I'm not familiar enough with this issue to comment on how much extra consumption could be caused by this.

Vern - apologies - don't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by EMC2
Just a thought, but if you get a chance before taking the car to the dealer, you could pull the airbox (10 min job) to check if you have any oil in the throttle body. That could also be a sign of an issue with the AOS, and another possible cause of increased oil consumption, although I'm not familiar enough with this issue to comment on how much extra consumption could be caused by this.

Vern - apologies - don't mean to hijack your thread.
No worries, gopirates already did that
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

Vern, not sure if this is an option but a guy has a 997.1 turbo engine in classified for $16,500 US
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 PM
gopirates
Racer

No worries, gopirates already did that
My apologies, never intended to do that. These passions get the best of us...
Old 04-27-2016, 12:36 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Vern, not sure if this is an option but a guy has a 997.1 turbo engine in classified for $16,500 US
Well that would be interesting but I also have no idea if that would work. I suspect not but will see if I can find out

My apologies, never intended to do that. These passions get the best of us...
No sweat

Quick Reply: I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine