Sponsored by:

I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The "R" in RND stands for Raby, as I was the developer of the RND program; for a company called SSF Auto Parts. Yes, this is a solid option for those who want a stock replacement engine immediately installed. The RND program has exploded in the past few months, and several engines have made their way into Canada. If you are looking for an RND engine, as it has LN Nikisil cylinders, then we can easily export it to Canada. It could leave the Atlanta SSF warehouse tomorrow.

My backlog here at Flat 6 is 14 months at the present, and we only build engines here that are Street, or Track Performers, all of which are larger displacement and feature characteristics that make them higher performance in every way, while retaining mannerisms that make them great daily drivers, too. These are not race engines, they are designed from a different perspective.

The RND program was born because of the demand for a high quality, stock displacement engine, with technology that was not available in factory long block or turn key engine.
Thanks. I will contact RND for pricing
Old 04-26-2016, 01:57 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I start the car and immediately run it to redline so it warms up real fast
LMFAO
Old 04-26-2016, 02:58 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
gopirates - you are about 1 quart every 530-665 miles or so. That's a lot. If you are under warranty I'd take it in for excessive oil consumption. It might be a leak, bad AOS or symptoms of bore scoring. Let the dealer figure it out.
I just made an appointment to take it to the dealership in the morning to start an oil consumption test. They want to top it off and for me to drive it 1000 miles and let them know where the oil level is...
Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I start the car and immediately run it to redline so it warms up real fast ...
While everyone laughs, this isn't very far off from how I watch a lot of 'enthusiasts' start their cars.

I start it, usually wait for the revs to drop and get on my way. Keep it under 3.5k till oil is above 180 but wont really run it harder till oil around 200. I do this whether it -20 or +20 (Celsius of course)...

Thanks for sharing. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:05 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Having read this whole thread and some of the others about this issue, now I'm terrified this could be a lurking issue for me... My car did have a PPI, but I doubt very much it included bore scoping. I've no current reason to suspect I have a problem, but I'm concerned I wouldn't recognize it at first if I did... Typical uncalled for paranoia i guess?
Any way to check this out for a non-wrencher like me, short of taking it in for a more than likely unnecessary scoping...?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
I just made an appointment to take it to the dealership in the morning to start an oil consumption test. They want to top it off and for me to drive it 1000 miles and let them know where the oil level is...
You may be hearing about these ATDIs soon, considering that you are taking it there..
Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM
gopirates
Racer

You may be hearing about these ATDIs soon, considering that you are taking it there..
Hi Jake, thanks for the response. Mine is an '09 DFI engine. Will that still be applicable?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
Hi Jake, thanks for the response. Mine is an '09 DFI engine. Will that still be applicable?
There's a similar directive for these engines, but its not the same.

We'll see if they give you the same "auto response" that most of my customers get.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Wow. Roughly 1.5 qts every 600 miles is OK per the guidelines? If one of my cars was going through oil like that, my engine would be sitting at Jake's in GA and the rest of my car covered up on the lift in my garage while he built me a proper engine. Both of mine use about 0.5-1 qt every 4,000-5,000 miles which I find acceptable, but 10-12x that - no way. That would make oil changes unnecessary since you're perpetually changing it at 8.5 qts every 3,600 miles (kidding of course and you still need to do the filter!).
Old 04-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Is it possible that the Teflon flakes off first, and this essential coating (if it is essential to engines making it to 150K miles or whatever, under normal use) once compromised, allows scuffing and metal transfer to begin post haste ?

If so, can the Teflon remain firmly attached to the skirt under temperature ranges of -30 C to 250 C ?

What if it's (Teflon with whatever other additives are used for this application...not a cooktop) temp coefs of expansion and contraction doesn't match the piston skirt material under very cold conditions, meaning that it looses it's molecular grip as the piston reduces area dimensions right under it, and tiny wrinkles form in the coating, which then flake off prematurely?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Philster
While everyone laughs, this isn't very far off from how I watch a lot of 'enthusiasts' start their cars.

Yes, sadly I see this quite often.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petza914
Wow. Roughly 1.5 qts every 600 miles is OK per the guidelines? If one of my cars was going through oil like that, my engine would be sitting at Jake's in GA and the rest of my car covered up on the lift in my garage while he built me a proper engine. Both of mine use about 0.5-1 qt every 4,000-5,000 miles which I find acceptable, but 10-12x that - no way. That would make oil changes unnecessary since you're perpetually changing it at 8.5 qts every 3,600 miles (kidding of course and you still need to do the filter!).
When I took mine in they did not quote me the guidelines. It was apparent that it was the change in consumption that signaled a problem ie I went from roughly what you consume normally to about 8x that
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

I wonder if this is why synthetic has to be used in these engines, as conventional dino consumed at this rate (only 3.6 or 3.8 liter) would foul the cats, no ?

If this small an engine can consume 1 quart every 700 miles or so, imagine an old 7 liter Ford 427 or 428 going through a quart every 350 miles ? Twice the displacement, only 6-7 quart pan, ouch.

Smokeee.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:50 PM
gopirates
Racer

When I took mine in they did not quote me the guidelines. It was apparent that it was the change in consumption that signaled a problem ie I went from roughly what you consume normally to about 8x that
When I spoke to my SA on the phone I mentioned I have had the car for over a year and have kept records of every addition of oil since it was in my possession.

I did ask on possible solutions and whether this would warrant a new engine if they had to scope it and found scoring and he said they did not drop new engines rather replace components or rebuild the existing engine.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM
vern1
Drifting

yes, they rebuild the engine.....at your cost.....due to their sheety engineering

Quick Reply: I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine