I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,600 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
I'd not disagree with that, but there's a couple of intense discussions in the archives from some people who know far too much about oil and the analysis. All I could do was make mental notes about sheer characteristics.

There seemed to be enough of a difference between Mobile 0W-40 vs 5W-40 to convince many to lean towards 5W-40, and then jumping to another brand (e.g. Motul) in 5W-40 made an even greater improvement.

... and jumping from the Motul to the Driven DT-40 an even further improvement, though DT40 is not currently Porsche A40 approved so if you're under a factory or CPO warranty, you may want to stay with the Motul until that expires.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

This unlikely thread has a good diagram of the differences between forces (side pressure on skirt and rotation) from pin offsets.

One way side loads the skirt against the wall, the opposite offset wants to rotate the piston more in the bore (all power stroke considerations)

http://onecamonly.com/threads/piston-pin-offset.2789/
Old 05-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

DT40 will never be Porsche approved... The 200k it costs to start the procedures can be better spent on development of other oils.

The piston offset matters more with some engines than others, as a variable lies in the centerline of the crankshaft main tunnel, to that of the cylinder bores. This is the biggest difference between the Mezger and M96/97 engines.

Again, the pin offset is not THE issue. There is no THE issue, it's the equation of all the issues added together, along with environmental conditions, and fuel that aggrevate things, leading to this.

When recreating these engines, we have to identify, understand, and work around all these issues. This is the reason why the pin height, and rod length of my engines do not remain as factory, along with Nickies cylinders, Total Seal rings, and the list goes on. This is why it takes years for an engine to evolve, and in my case, that's 8 generations of development.
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Cameron Gardner
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I'd be interested to know if someone's done a Poll similar to that of the IMS issue to see how many of these Bore Scoring issues have occurred?
purchased a 2006 Cayman S with very low 27,000 Mi, moton adjustable suspension. Thought I was getting a great deal. Clearly I was an idiot. Dealer brought the car out to me running so I didn't hear the initial ticking. When I drove away I did hear it, and I noticed the tailpipes were black but wasn't too worried. That's because I'm a rookie. Oil consumption, et al cats fouled, rebuild likely... sigh. Love the car, gonna ask my indy if he is able to do nickies rebuild...
Old 09-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron Gardner
purchased a 2006 Cayman S with very low 27,000 Mi, moton adjustable suspension. Thought I was getting a great deal. Clearly I was an idiot. Dealer brought the car out to me running so I didn't hear the initial ticking. When I drove away I did hear it, and I noticed the tailpipes were black but wasn't too worried. That's because I'm a rookie. Oil consumption, et al cats fouled, rebuild likely... sigh. Love the car, gonna ask my indy if he is able to do nickies rebuild...
What state did you purchase this from. I would be inclined to tee the dealer up with litigation.

Quick Reply: I am the lucky owner of a bore scored engine