Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nope they are selling for this... a 997 gts at my local dealer just sold for 69k Was cpo and lower miles (under 20k) but was just a gts. No factory aero.

Originally Posted by realq86
This car is not SOLD at this money. Listing prices are useless, if they can be sold at that price, it would be sold already.
This listing shows the owner is not serious about selling, and probably posting a unicorn price to test the water. No vin, no milage, 3 photos that screams "I'm not taking the selling effort seriously." I wouldn't use this as a data point.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Tiptronic vs. PDK, no question... .2 non-S
Manual vs. Manual or Manual vs. PDK .2 is debatable. PDK makes up for the 10 HP difference.

Off-topic here but is anyone even buying used Tiptronic cars? Assume so but they must take a big hit.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Hmmmm what does the .2 have for brakes? Same as the 997.1s? 19' Wheels better on a 997.1s, ride height I believe lower on a 997.1s vs base .2., more power even by 10hp is more power and we all know the cost to add power to these cars .... lastly knowing you didn't buy the lowest and cheapest 911 model available is something...
Comparing 6sp to 6sp.....pdk way better then triptonic that's for sue.

QUOTE=MaddMike;13893789]I bought my .2 Carrera CPO for $43k. Sold it a year later in better condition than when I bought it but only a year of warranty for $41.5.

Besides 10hp, what does a .1S have over a .2 base? I can give you a long list the other way.
[/QUOTE]

You lost me on "knowing you didn't buy the lowest". IMO the lowest 997s are the 997.1. The .2 list includes:
No IMS doubts or issues
Better lighting front and rear
An entertainment interface that doesn't look like a Nokia phone
Better aftermarket support
Better MPG
Better retail
Better apps
More modern navigation
Oh, and at that pricepoint you can get it with a two year CPO warranty.

The list goes on but the IMS doubt itself is enough for most people and that is why the .1 retail values have suffered.

The whole point of my post is that you can get a more modern .2 for at or around $40k. Yes, I test drive both and bought a .2 Carrera. I even tried timing the .1s vs the .2 base and neither 0-60 or braking distances could be discerned. Granted I did not have proper timing equipment to notice .01 of a second.

I now have a .24S as an upgrade but will stand by my original point that a .1S is an downgrade to a base .2 Carrera in most meaningful ways.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Ummmm maybe hard to hear but is what it is...but on average base owners want an S, while S owners would likely prefer a GTS...gt3 owners want an RS, turbo owners would prefer a gt2 etc.
A base .2 sitting next to a 997.1s well looks like a base 911 and simply doesn't look as good.....
Haven't we read many 997.2 trannys grenading? So ims or tranny grenade both not great... but some solid solutions for the IMS. (I have the ims solution, is there a fix for the bad trannys on the pdk cars?)
You asked the question which is better? I listed some items...and if the brakes on the base 997.2 are not as good as the 997.1s then that's another solid point. Would take better stopping power over MPG any day.... Will note I am not aware about which has the better brakes thus posed the question. Better aftermarket support? Not really...better tech apps? Don't really care about that... 997.1s comes with xenons are the 997.2 base lights all that much better? More updated PCM in the .2 agreed...
That said better mpg and pcm vs better stopping power, more HP, better ride stance, better 19 wheels with the 997.1s etc. (not minor things) OK and the tiny small things, silver gauges stock on an S, dual exhaust tips also standard on the S...
Hey base 997.2 great car (as is 997.1 base car) but kidding yourself if you think 997.2 is a much better option then a 997.1s...both have pros over the other.

Based on the above I would take a well equipped and the right 997.1s over a base 997.2 any day.... many 997.1s cars
come with some neat options added where most base cars are well more commonly base with less options...more often the not. (not always)

A base 997 is a base 997. The model line .1 has a base car and the .2 has a base car...

Prior 997.1 base owner here and amazing car so lets get past that.......after a few water cooled Porsches (964, 993TT) I now back in a 997.1s and for what I paid for the car and for what I got I believe the car is much better then a 997.2 base car to me at least.

My car was bought all with the following - 05 997.1s factory aero, 20 champion monolite wheels, champion f77 power kit (tubi headers, tubi exhaust, giac tune etc) terra-cotta full leather, sport chrono, sport hard back seats, one owner, 22k miles, 6sp, recent ims solution (ims solution from jack raby shop so they did new clutch, water pump, AOS, low temp thermostat etc), gt3tb, idp plenum, techart side skirts, pasm etc...paid same (maybe less) as what a base 997.2 with 20K miles would cost. - paid 42.5.

997.2 base is a great car but to suggest far superior over a 997.1s not the case... better in some ways sure. But again 997.1s has advantages....better brakes (need to triple check this), more power/HP, better stance, better 19' wheels, sport chrono, sport suspension, likely better optioned car (S cars on average higher optioned cars) ...

------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You lost me on "knowing you didn't buy the lowest". IMO the lowest 997s are the 997.1. The .2 list includes:
No IMS doubts or issues
Better MPG
Better retail
Better apps
More modern navigation

The list goes on but the IMS doubt itself is enough for most people and that is why the .1 retail values have suffered.

The whole point of my post is that you can get a more modern .2 for at or around $40k. Yes, I test drive both and bought a .2 Carrera. I even tried timing the .1s vs the .2 base and neither 0-60 or braking distances could be discerned. Granted I did not have proper timing equipment to notice .01 of a second.

I now have a .24S as an upgrade but will stand by my original point that a .1S is an downgrade to a base .2 Carrera in most meaningful ways.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 01-19-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:00 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl Glynn
Good catch.

Porsche of North Houston were advertising this car in December. They were asking $39,997 at the time (see attached PDFs for their original ad).

This new seller is asking $42,888

Karl.
Not a good deal when you can get a 997.2S with half the miles for about 50k (8k more than he is asking) - half the miles twice the value I say.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:55 AM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

As someone entering the market for my first 911/997.2 C4S (or 4GTS but I've given up hope as those seem to be very rare and the ones for sale are $65K+) I can tell you a 997.1 isn't even a consideration but that's subjective as I like LEDs/dynamic lighting and PDK. On top of that the PTM (AWD) system of the .2 is far superior to the .1's. Many base .2s have 19s as an upgrade. The engine note is nicer on a .1 as well.

While we are on the topic of dead horse debates, which is better: PDK or manual?

Jk...back to the topic of 997s for sale online!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Ummmm maybe hard to hear but is what it is...but on average base owners want an S, while S owners would likely prefer a GTS...gt3 owners want an RS, turbo owners would prefer a gt2 etc.
A base .2 sitting next to a 997.1s well looks like a base 911 and simply doesn't look as good.....
Haven't we read many 997.2 trannys grenading? So ims or tranny grenade both not great... but some solid solutions for the IMS. (I have the ims solution, is there a fix for the bad trannys on the pdk cars?)
You asked the question which is better? I listed some items...and if the brakes on the base 997.2 are not as good as the 997.1s then that's another solid point. Would take better stopping power over MPG any day.... Will note I am not aware about which has the better brakes thus posed the question. Better aftermarket support? Not really...better tech apps? Don't really care about that... 997.1s comes with xenons are the 997.2 base lights all that much better? More updated PCM in the .2 agreed...
That said better mpg and pcm vs better stopping power, more HP, better ride stance, better 19 wheels with the 997.1s etc. (not minor things) OK and the tiny small things, silver gauges stock on an S, dual exhaust tips also standard on the S...
Hey base 997.2 great car (as is 997.1 base car) but kidding yourself if you think 997.2 is a much better option then a 997.1s...both have pros over the other.

Based on the above I would take a well equipped and the right 997.1s over a base 997.2 any day.... many 997.1s cars
come with some neat options added where most base cars are well more commonly base with less options...more often the not. (not always)

A base 997 is a base 997. The model line .1 has a base car and the .2 has a base car...

Prior 997.1 base owner here and amazing car so lets get past that.......after a few water cooled Porsches (964, 993TT) I now back in a 997.1s and for what I paid for the car and for what I got I believe the car is much better then a 997.2 base car to me at least.

My car was bought all with the following - 05 997.1s factory aero, 20 champion monolite wheels, champion f77 power kit (tubi headers, tubi exhaust, giac tune etc) terra-cotta full leather, sport chrono, sport hard back seats, one owner, 22k miles, 6sp, recent ims solution (ims solution from jack raby shop so they did new clutch, water pump, AOS, low temp thermostat etc), gt3tb, idp plenum, techart side skirts, pasm etc...paid same (maybe less) as what a base 997.2 with 20K miles would cost. - paid 42.5.

997.2 base is a great car but to suggest far superior over a 997.1s not the case... better in some ways sure. But again 997.1s has advantages....better brakes (need to triple check this), more power/HP, better stance, better 19' wheels, sport chrono, sport suspension, likely better optioned car (S cars on average higher optioned cars) ...

------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No IMS doubts or issues
Better MPG
Better retail
Better apps
More modern navigation

I now have a .24S as an upgrade but will stand by my original point that a .1S is an downgrade to a base .2 Carrera in most meaningful ways.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess we have to agree to disagree.

I have neither a base .2 nor a .1S but I would take a .2 any day over a point .1 and I have done so. I also prefer brunettes while others prefer blonds. To each their own. If they are hot, I would not kick either one out of bed.

996 guys also tend to think that their car is the best, air cooled guys...

Either way, as you said, they are all great cars and I have no horse in this race. The market and where people are willing to put their money will ultimately decide.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I salute both of you for the interesting discussion and detailed analysis. I have had an initial expectation that the base model is a no-go for me just to reduce the opportunity for buyers remorse - but I really appreciate the perspective. Aesthetically, I much prefer the .2 front bumper, so apples to apples the .2 base may be a great compromise (compared to the .2S).

On the GTS, I have come to think of it as a half-step below the base GT3, with rear seats. I also expect it to hold value in the near future (anyone's guess here of course). From that point of view, 70K-ish aint that bad when GT3's are holding around 110 or so...

Thanks huge for the thoughts.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

to clear the air = Both are great cars....
that said...

I had the same situation and went with the 997.1s vs a base 997.2 for reasons outlined. For me I found (what I feel) is a well modded 997.1s aero which made the decision even easier...... really all about the car you find IMO as the pro's and cons on each can go back and forth. I love the aerokit cars and can find a 997.1s with the aerokit vs same price as 997.2 base and the cars to me are night and day regards to styling- presence.

some pics
base 997.2
997.1s

May start a new thread as good topic IMO.... OK back on track.

I have neither a base .2 nor a .1S but I would take a .2 any day over a point .1 and I have done so. I also prefer brunettes while others prefer blonds. To each their own. If they are hot, I would not kick either one out of bed.

Either way, as you said, they are all great cars and I have no horse in this race. The market and where people are willing to put their money will ultimately decide.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images       
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

I did find a good deal on this thread for a .2 4S Aero with CPO so I jumped on it as it was a better car than my .2 base.

I too am a fan of the aero package (see my Avatar).
Old 01-19-2017, 11:11 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I did find a good deal on this thread for a .2 4S Aero with CPO so I jumped on it as it was a better car than my .2 base.

I too am a fan of the aero package (see my Avatar).
Hey. Very nice. I think you are the first Alumni (Alumnus?) for this thread.

Got any pics yet?

Congratulations!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughts on this one?

http://www.lamborghinicarolinas.com/...nc-id-15912908
Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

If someone wants to step up the $ into the 80K range I would say hands down easily a 997.2TTs is the best all around car....for 80K range IMO your getting a legit super car in the TTs... just said last week I cant believe these are now in the 80ks price bracket.... another year or two will be mid low 70s maybe and thats a no brainer. Would love ma a TTs....

Originally Posted by zechunique
Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
Very nice esp with the 2 tone black/tan full leather. Too bad no manual....
Old 01-19-2017, 02:46 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

to clear the air = Both are great cars....
that said...

I had the same situation and went with the 997.1s vs a base 997.2 for reasons outlined. For me I found (what I feel) is a well modded 997.1s aero which made the decision even easier...... really all about the car you find IMO as the pro's and cons on each can go back and forth. I love the aerokit cars and can find a 997.1s with the aerokit vs same price as 997.2 base and the cars to me are night and day regards to styling- presence.

some pics
base 997.2
997.1s

May start a new thread as good topic IMO.... OK back on track.

Either way, as you said, they are all great cars and I have no horse in this race. The market and where people are willing to put their money will ultimately decide.
[/QUOTE]

Last pic is gorgeous with the aerokit

997.1S > 997.2 base - 10 more HP wins hands down, you lose, drop the mic

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)