Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
I've met several Porsche owners who complained about this 1st gear problem. They all downshift into 1st and treat it much differently than I do.
The puzzling thing is, if I shift into 1st when the car has just come to a stop it will go in smoothly every time. The balkiness happens only if I'm sitting at a light and then step on the clutch and immediately try to put it in 1st. Years ago I was told that sitting at a stop with the car in gear and the clutch disengaged is bad for the throwout bearing (not to mention the knee!) so it's not something I do.

And I never downshift into 1st if the car is rolling (I've been in a car with people who did that and you could hear the synchros spinning their little hearts out). There's enough torque in one of these puppies to pick it up in 2nd as long as the car isn't at a dead stop. Even if it is, but again, not something I would do. Been driving sticks since '75 (Plymouth Valiant 3-on-the-tree).
Old 10-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced gear/tranny oil couple days back to mobilube PTX and NO JAM on 1st gear so far.. ! BINGO!.... I also feel PTX made shift more smoother.

Bruce- Thank you!!

1st gear jam was pain for me in traffic lights, I was looking for solutions and read posts here, sixspeedonline etc.

Here are the thinks I tried so far for 1st gear jam issue:

* Last year I replaced tranny oil to Shell/Porsche 75W90 (bought from Suncoast), Which made my shifting smother but 1st gear jam was there. May be little less frequent.

* Adjusted the cable under center console (DIY), Which reduced 1st gear jamming by 50% I guess.

* Replaced tranny oil to Mobilube PTX, No more jamming. :-). Magic oil?

My opinion is every one who has this issue should try changing the oil to PTX and see. It's not expensive ($110 shipped) and easy DIY.

I will post the results after a week.

Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

So far we have 2 cars fixed with PTX and 1 not fixed, this is strange.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
So far we have 2 cars fixed with PTX and 1 not fixed, this is strange.
Yes it is.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My 977.2 owners manual specifies the Mobilube PTX for the manual transmission. I used it in my 2008 and it really made a dramatic difference. Good stuff!
Old 10-14-2015, 12:28 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting my tranny repaired and the repair shop recommended a different oil for my tranny. I will see what it is. I'm getting my syncro in second fixed. I feel a thicker oil makes it tougher to put into gear. I have felt it before the syncro failure.

Hope to have it back by Saturday.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been a week after changing gear oil to PTX and No 1st gear Jam so far.

Bruce- How's yours?

Thx.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pors968
It's been a week after changing gear oil to PTX and No 1st gear Jam so far.

Bruce- How's yours?

Thx.
Perfect. No jamming. I have developed a pretty consistent shift method of defined moves that lessened the jamming before the oil change so I am sure that helps, but still, no jams.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-21-2015, 05:21 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PTX and first gear balk - some missing data

OK - my recently acquired 2010 S has 37k miles. Shifts fine, but there is a (normal?) balkiness others have noted when going into 1st from neutral. I can push thru it, but usually snick into 2nd, then 1st when this occurs. May not occur all the time. This did not occur on my 993 cab, which had 67k miles when sold.
Now, before I go changing 5 yr old PTX for new PTX in a cab that has not to my knowledge been tracked, some questions:
1. did PTX not come standard on 997.1s? If it did not, I get it. Those folks should replace with PTX. If it did come standard, why did some responders to this thread "change" to PTX?
2. Is there any evidence supporting a tranny oil change for 997.2s with modest mileage and no track use?

Thanks.
Charlie
Old 11-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the advice in this thread!

I tried to get the PTX oil to do it myself but it is developed ONLY for Porsche transmissions and other transmissions with notchy shifting so it is not easy to get hold of.

Contacted Porsche Center Warszawa since they have been helpful before and they have ordered the oil since they did not have it. I guess I have to do the change there but price was relatively OK so I will go for it.

I will report as soon as I have it done.

Edit: I read that Mobilube SHC 75w-90 also exist. It is used in GT2 and GT3 transmissions but the PTX should be Specifically developed to perform better syncing when shifting. It should be extremely stable regardless of temperature. I could actually get The Mobilube SHC oil for 10 dollars per litre but I will definitely go for the More expensive PTX.

Last edited by Racetwin2; 06-24-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
Thanks for the advice in this thread!

I tried to get the PTX oil to do it myself but it is developed ONLY for Porsche transmissions and other transmissions with notchy shifting so it is not easy to get hold of.

Contacted Porsche Center Warszawa since they have been helpful before and they have ordered the oil since they did not have it. I guess I have to do the change there but price was relatively OK so I will go for it.

I will report as soon as I have it done.

Edit: I read that Mobilube SHC 75w-90 also exist. It is used in GT2 and GT3 transmissions but the PRX should be Specifically developed to perform better syncing when shifting. It should be extremely stable regardless of temperature. I could actually get The Mobilube SHC oil for 10 dollars per litre but I will definitely go for the More expensive PTX.
Good luck. I am still jam free to date and do not have a good explanation of what happened to the oil that was in my car nor why this works.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

OK - the precious PTX oil I ordered has finally arrived. Porsche Center Warszawa were kind to order the full 20 litre can and the allowed me to buy 4 litres. I came with my own 5 L canister. That's service for ya!

They didn't have the aluminium washers in stock but I think it will be OK. Transmission oil is much thicker than normal oil so I don't foresee any leaks. I make an update as soon as I have replaced the oil.

4 litre PTX was around 130 dollars.

In the picture is also the engine oil filter+filter housing and the engine oil plug+washer I bought. Will do the engine oil while Im at it. Mobile 1 New Life is almost dirt cheap at 65 dollars for 9 litres here.
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2015, 10:59 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

I have noticed that as temperatures gotten cooler (Chicago) my first gear issue seems to have gotten much better. It has some resistance but goes in fine where i dont have to pop it in to 2nd then first.
But before it got cooler i noticed that all of my gears started to be a little notchy and not as smooth as used to be. (06 C4 50K)
I ordered PTX from Suncoast and it was just shipped yesterday, so we'll see.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:34 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I experienced the first gear catch occasionally in my "new" 2009. I had my gear oil changed to PTX and it hasn't happened since. The shifter feels better in all gears, smooth. Very pleased.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

I just changed oil to the PTX and took her for a drive 30 minutes ago. Big difference vs before! Actually on all gears! I only had difficulties with first gear when the engine was cold but after the change I also feel the other gears are more slick.

The old oil actually looked OK and no metal particles on the plug either. Level was also OK. Only the black grit filling half the cavity in the plug.

I try to explain the difference in feel: When engaging some gears before it was sometimes a shearing feeling. Almost as if it was lack of lubrication or the oil was too thin if you know what I mean? Like a shearing nut. Now it is smoother in all gears. You still feel the mechanical feel of the gearbox but with a more "lubricated feel".

Thanks Bruce for sharing your experience.

P.s I changed the oil myself with just 4 jack stands. It is possible to reach but kind of tricky to work the oil pump while stretching the arms under the car.

Also, most manuals on the web are for the 996 and I noted that the filler plug is on the opposite side of the tranny vs the 996. I was looking on the left side for at least 10 minutes thinking I was stupid. It was on the right side. I also had to loosen the battery cable that runs just past the filling plug. Fairly easy job all in all I would say. But working on a real lift makes it much easier.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil