Sponsored by:

New steering wheel - 997.1 to 997.2 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 11:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Thanks gents, appreciate it... and the pictures don't even do it justice - the look is just waaayyyy better in every respect, and obviously the 'feel' is night and day too. Very happy with the result.
don't tempt me
Old 03-14-2016, 12:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

I tried this and it worked for me too - insist that the Porsche tech activates multi-function (for those with non-multifunction wheels). I have a 2009 C2 and went from the old wheel to new, pictured below.

The installation was easy - did it myself with help from a couple YouTube videos but the horn would not work.. $129 charge from the dealer to activate multi-function and I was done...No new control module required.
Exactly what happened with my self install too. No horn. Can't be sure but I bet you had the same issue which had nothing to do with activation of anything but with a wire harness out of place. There's a little "channel" at the bottom of the steering wheel hub where the wiring harness needs to rest. If it doesn't get tucked in there it has a tendency to jam the horn function.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Exactly what happened with my self install too. No horn. Can't be sure but I bet you had the same issue which had nothing to do with activation of anything but with a wire harness out of place. There's a little "channel" at the bottom of the steering wheel hub where the wiring harness needs to rest. If it doesn't get tucked in there it has a tendency to jam the horn function.
No that was not my issue and I was careful about that when sliding the air bag back in. The horn would push in and out freely with no rubbing at all - (mechanically it is exactly the same feel now as before taking it in to the dealer) - just no noise.

I took it the the dealership for service and the horn fix and at the end of the day, they called and told me all the work was complete except the horn was still not working. Even after I told them about what I'd found on the web re: multi-function with PIWIS, they told me "nope won't work and please bring in your old steering wheel because you must have not transferred a part from the old to the new wheel". Seemed stupid to me but I did as they asked as it would give me the oppty to talk to the mechanic not just the service desk.

So I took my old wheel in the next day and I went out back to the shop and the mechanic proceeded to show me how the wiring harnesses on the old and new wheels were different and that this would never work. I've had a little experience working at dealerships and know how stubborn these guys can be so I was extremely self-deprecating as I told him I wanted him to turn on multi-function. He finally agreed.

I had to leave the shop for "insurance reasons" but watched through the window as my car came back in, the tech used the PIWIS and, voila, the horn worked first time. He was very gracious/humbled and repeated a couple times "I learned something new". The power of the information in these forums is awesome so I wanted to share my first-hand confirmation of this working on my 2009.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

He was very gracious/humbled and repeated a couple times "I learned something new". The power of the information in these forums is awesome so I wanted to share my first-hand confirmation of this working on my 2009.
Glad my post helped but what I don't understand is that they charged you so much for a few minutes of work. Even more so because they "learned something new''. Charge them for the lesson
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-911
Glad my post helped but what I don't understand is that they charged you so much for a few minutes of work. Even more so because they "learned something new''. Charge them for the lesson
Yeah I'm a softie.... :-)
Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks great.... neat project.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried this and it worked for me too - insist that the Porsche tech activates multi-function (for those with non-multifunction wheels). I have a 2009 C2 and went from the old wheel to new, pictured below.

The installation was easy - did it myself with help from a couple YouTube videos but the horn would not work.. $129 charge from the dealer to activate multi-function and I was done...No new control module required.
WOOOOO!

Alright, that's two confirmed. I have a slow week at work, so once I get my car running again, I'll take it over to the dealer for them to code.

$129 is a little exorbitant for 5-10 minutes of work though. Are you sure it was a dealership and not a bordello?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

while at it have them code the comfort windows to work (remote fob giving window access). when i help the local guys here in toronto for their coding needs i always to make sure i turn that function on as well.

shouldnt cost you anything as it takes a few seconds.

Originally Posted by Carmichael
WOOOOO!

Alright, that's two confirmed. I have a slow week at work, so once I get my car running again, I'll take it over to the dealer for them to code.

$129 is a little exorbitant for 5-10 minutes of work though. Are you sure it was a dealership and not a bordello?
Old 03-14-2016, 01:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

no clue why they didnt just at least try, and instead insinuated you botched your install.

very glad everything worked out!

No that was not my issue and I was careful about that when sliding the air bag back in. The horn would push in and out freely with no rubbing at all - (mechanically it is exactly the same feel now as before taking it in to the dealer) - just no noise.

I took it the the dealership for service and the horn fix and at the end of the day, they called and told me all the work was complete except the horn was still not working. Even after I told them about what I'd found on the web re: multi-function with PIWIS, they told me "nope won't work and please bring in your old steering wheel because you must have not transferred a part from the old to the new wheel". Seemed stupid to me but I did as they asked as it would give me the oppty to talk to the mechanic not just the service desk.

So I took my old wheel in the next day and I went out back to the shop and the mechanic proceeded to show me how the wiring harnesses on the old and new wheels were different and that this would never work. I've had a little experience working at dealerships and know how stubborn these guys can be so I was extremely self-deprecating as I told him I wanted him to turn on multi-function. He finally agreed.

I had to leave the shop for "insurance reasons" but watched through the window as my car came back in, the tech used the PIWIS and, voila, the horn worked first time. He was very gracious/humbled and repeated a couple times "I learned something new". The power of the information in these forums is awesome so I wanted to share my first-hand confirmation of this working on my 2009.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:52 PM
jetfuelonly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled on this. Thanks for all the info because this has been in the back of my mind for a long time. Going to do it!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myw
while at it have them code the comfort windows to work (remote fob giving window access). when i help the local guys here in toronto for their coding needs i always to make sure i turn that function on as well.

shouldnt cost you anything as it takes a few seconds.
I've had good experiences so far with my local dealer's parts department. I hope it continues with their service department. Hopefully they will prorate their services!

Coding comfort access windows is a great idea. I had a Jet Black '06 Cooper S before my 997, and being able to open the windows from my office with the key fob on a hot summer day before leaving was a godsend.

Honestly, I'm just thrilled I can get my "f*** you" button back, as I've had way too many close calls the past few times I've driven the 997 lately.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i'm glad to hear that carmichael!

i just pm'd jim with this but if you are going to pay for dealer piwis time here are things you guys should consider getting done since you are paying for the full hour of PIWIS time anyways

- service fuse resets
- DMS/overrev readout (useful when selling the car)
- comfort windows access via remote control
- CEL or any sort of - code readouts for all modules
- 997.1 side marker to be set as blinker (i believe this is already enabled on 997.2)
- get them to go through all modules (and even take cell phone photos of all module part numbers and settings)... thereby giving yourself a full backup of the electronic system in your car (could come in handy one day)

as mentioned, other things i've done/can be done
- spoiler disable (for spoiler conversions)
- multi-function steering wheel enable
- one VERY stupid thing - "oil level warning" is disabled on some cars... NO IDEA why that is but i had enabled mine (instrument cluster module). some of the simple things make the biggest differences imo.
- etc etc

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I've had good experiences so far with my local dealer's parts department. I hope it continues with their service department. Hopefully they will prorate their services!

Coding comfort access windows is a great idea. I had a Jet Black '06 Cooper S before my 997, and being able to open the windows from my office with the key fob on a hot summer day before leaving was a godsend.

Honestly, I'm just thrilled I can get my "f*** you" button back, as I've had way too many close calls the past few times I've driven the 997 lately.

Last edited by myw; 03-14-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myw
i just pm'd jim with this but if you are going to pay for dealer piwis time here are things you guys should consider getting done since you are paying for the full hour of PIWIS time anyways

- service fuse resets
- DMS/overrev readout (useful when selling the car)
- comfort windows access via remote control
- CEL or any sort of - code readouts for all modules
- 997.1 side marker to be set as blinker (i believe this is already enabled on 997.2)
- get them to go through all modules (and even take cell phone photos of all module part numbers and settings)... thereby giving yourself a full backup of the electronic system in your car (could come in handy one day)

as mentioned, other things i've done/can be done
- spoiler disable (for spoiler conversions)
- multi-function steering wheel enable
- one VERY stupid thing - "oil level warning" is disabled on some cars... NO IDEA why that is but i had enabled mine (instrument cluster module). some of the simple things make the biggest differences imo.
- etc etc
This is a great "while you're in there" list. If you're paying for an hour of service, it would be wise to get your money's worth! Thanks!
Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
i'm glad to hear that carmichael! i just pm'd jim with this but if you are going to pay for dealer piwis time here are things you guys should consider getting done since you are paying for the full hour of PIWIS time anyways - service fuse resets - DMS/overrev readout (useful when selling the car) - comfort windows access via remote control - CEL or any sort of - code readouts for all modules - 997.1 side marker to be set as blinker (i believe this is already enabled on 997.2) - get them to go through all modules (and even take cell phone photos of all module part numbers and settings)... thereby giving yourself a full backup of the electronic system in your car (could come in handy one day) as mentioned, other things i've done/can be done - spoiler disable (for spoiler conversions) - multi-function steering wheel enable - one VERY stupid thing - "oil level warning" is disabled on some cars... NO IDEA why that is but i had enabled mine (instrument cluster module). some of the simple things make the biggest differences imo. - etc etc
Have you manage to successfully code the steering wheel with Durametric Pro or is that PIWIS only?
Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 PM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the same swap on my 08 c2s but was too busy to buy the new module. I had read you had to download info from old module then upload it to the newer airbag module.

On the turbo 997.1 its much easier apparently.

Let me know if the MF function worked on the 997.1 please

I had forgotten and on my wedding day last summer had no horn. The wife wasn't impressed lol

Quick Reply: New steering wheel - 997.1 to 997.2 retrofit