Sponsored by:

Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:36 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awrryan and all...

OK...Car is going in Thursday for Eibachs and spacers. Will post pics Friday.

Excited....
Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BradS71
awrryan and all...

Excited....
Nice! Can't wait to see it! You'll love it.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:43 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

awrryan and all...

Excited....
Looking forward for the pics!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:59 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Well, things never quite go as planned. The surprise bonus on this little mod trip was that I found a good deal on a set of red 997 brake calipers from a guy in TN. So along with the springs and spacers, I was having the calipers swapped too.

So got the car to the shop and was all excited. Mid way through the day the shop calls and says hey, we have a problem. The red calipers for the rears are wrong. Turns out I got sent 991 rears instead of 997. Of course the fronts are the same, so it wouldn't have mattered there, but its the rears. At this point the car is up on the lift with the whole brake system torn down. Arrrrg...

So with some phone calls and some good-natured willingness to help on the part of the shop, I have a plan. The shop put the wheels back on and will roll the car out of the way for a few days. We overnighted my rears to the brake guy and he is refinishing my existing rears (he did beautiful work on the fronts he sent me) and then overnighting them back. Lucky for me, I am flying to Europe tonight and will be gone for 6 days, so don't need the car until next Friday anyway. Also lucky the local shop is being so cool about dealing with the hassle.

So there's my painful update. Another week before I get to see my baby all fixed up!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:42 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Well, things never quite go as planned. The surprise bonus on this little mod trip was that I found a good deal on a set of red 997 brake calipers from a guy in TN. So along with the springs and spacers, I was having the calipers swapped too.

So got the car to the shop and was all excited. Mid way through the day the shop calls and says hey, we have a problem. The red calipers for the rears are wrong. Turns out I got sent 991 rears instead of 997. Of course the fronts are the same, so it wouldn't have mattered there, but its the rears. At this point the car is up on the lift with the whole brake system torn down. Arrrrg...

So with some phone calls and some good-natured willingness to help on the part of the shop, I have a plan. The shop put the wheels back on and will roll the car out of the way for a few days. We overnighted my rears to the brake guy and he is refinishing my existing rears (he did beautiful work on the fronts he sent me) and then overnighting them back. Lucky for me, I am flying to Europe tonight and will be gone for 6 days, so don't need the car until next Friday anyway. Also lucky the local shop is being so cool about dealing with the hassle.

So there's my painful update. Another week before I get to see my baby all fixed up!
Sounds like an adventure. Hope it works out good in the end and sounds like it will. Keep us posted
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Finally...

Old 09-04-2015, 11:07 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Some views of the spacers. 7mm front, 15mm rear

Old 09-04-2015, 11:13 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

It looks amazing!!!!! I love love love it. More importantly: how do you like it? How's the ride?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Originally Posted by awrryan
It looks amazing!!!!! I love love love it. More importantly: how do you like it? How's the ride?
Thanks! You inspired me!

I'm so happy with how it turned out. It just completely changes the vibe of the car...so much more aggressive and sporty. The guy who did the work warned me that it might ride a little rougher, especially for a couple months as the springs settle, but I honestly do not notice ANY degradation in the ride. Maybe I'm nuts, or just too self-hyped, but I'd almost say it rides a little better than it did.

I'm actually surprised how much noticeable difference there is in the overall feel...and I like it!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:25 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Thanks! You inspired me!

I'm so happy with how it turned out. It just completely changes the vibe of the car...so much more aggressive and sporty. The guy who did the work warned me that it might ride a little rougher, especially for a couple months as the springs settle, but I honestly do not notice ANY degradation in the ride. Maybe I'm nuts, or just too self-hyped, but I'd almost say it rides a little better than it did.

I'm actually surprised how much noticeable difference there is in the overall feel...and I like it!
Great! That's how I felt noticeably different but no negative effect. I can't take credit though. Credit has to go to jcsomerv and emc2 for taking the Time to post their write-ups and sharing their experiences. The tech who installed my springs said that it may seem more comfortable because it doesn't bounce around and is more settled without being unnecessarily harsh. Enjoy it!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:53 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Looks perfect. Glad to hear you're also enjoying the ride.
Now add some GT3 sway bars and you will never look back
Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Originally Posted by EMC2
Looks perfect. Glad to hear you're also enjoying the ride.
Now add some GT3 sway bars and you will never look back
Thank you! I've already got sway bars and YOUR garage on my wish list!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:56 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Finally...

Wow!! Your car looks fantastic. I have to say that I usually don't like how the 997 looks with 18s but yours is the exception. Great job!

What are the wheel widths and offsets?
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 AM
BradS71
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATSR
Wow!! Your car looks fantastic. I have to say that I usually don't like how the 997 looks with 18s but yours is the exception. Great job!

What are the wheel widths and offsets?
Thanks! The 18's were tough for me to swallow too. At first, I thought all I needed was to buy 19's...then I came on here and got educated. I'm SO glad I did this and didn't just throw all my $$$ into a set of 19's that wouldn't have solved the bigger issue of the car's stance. I think I'm actually OK with these wheels now...or is that for now?...

The wheels are 8x18, ET57 and 10.5x18, ET60, then the spacers are 7 front and 15 rear. Looking at it, I could've easily gone 10-12 on the front. They are REALLY tucked in there in the base config. My mechanic told me keeping the car "square" is a good idea too...so I don't know, maybe I'll put a little bigger ones on front to see how it feels.

Happy for now though. ...gotta focus on saving up for the Fisters!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks a-ok to me!

Even the standard 18s look good now.

CF

Quick Reply: Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs