Sponsored by:

Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BradS71
But then I heard people say to not put 19's on a C2 without PASM because it will ride too rough.
Congrats on the car. I went from the stock 18's to 19's on a C2 without PASM and the ride quality was not noticeably different. I still suffer a bit from the 'gap' but the 19's look better. I have been thinking about lowering my car, but I have never done that before. I tend to keep things OEM and close to stock... Perhaps time to pull the trigger since the OP's car looks amazing with the Techart Springs.

On stock 18's

On Carrera 19's
Old 08-08-2015, 08:26 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

OP's car looks awesome! Since you have a silver C2.... My silver C2 with Tech Arts. I am very conservative and never modified any car before this one and love it! Ride quality is unchanged from OEM. Go for it! Don't listen to the nervous nellies

Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
OP's car looks awesome! Since you have a silver C2.... My silver C2 with Tech Arts. I am very conservative and never modified any car before this one and love it! Ride quality is unchanged from OEM. Go for it! Don't listen to the nervous nellies
This needs to be repeated every day with all the hand wringing here about lowering these cars. Except for the expense (around $1,200 for parts, labor and alignment) and the fact that it makes the car look more like a sports car than a terrain vehicle, it's a non-event.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK...I am officially OVER worrying about it! I gotta have the Eibach/Techarts as soon as my wif...umm, I mean finances allow.

Gripster and jcsomerv - Thanks for the great pics. It REALLY helps to see the 18's and then just the swap to 19's...and then the springs. The progression makes the decision for you. 19's and springs look amazing.

Thanks guys. Love this forum and look forward to talking with you all more..
Old 08-09-2015, 12:30 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

OK...I am officially OVER worrying about it! I gotta have the Eibach/Techarts as soon as my wif...umm, I mean finances allow.

Gripster and jcsomerv - Thanks for the great pics. It REALLY helps to see the 18's and then just the swap to 19's...and then the springs. The progression makes the decision for you. 19's and springs look amazing.

Thanks guys. Love this forum and look forward to talking with you all more..
Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Post pics after its done!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
The R
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This needs to be repeated every day with all the hand wringing here about lowering these cars. Except for the expense (around $1,200 for parts, labor and alignment) and the fact that it makes the car look more like a sports car than a terrain vehicle, it's a non-event.
Hahaha...exactly!

Brad, if you have any questions. I'm in your area. I can help you out or answer any question you may have as well.

Originally Posted by awrryan
Thanks to everyone for the compliments. Post pics after its done!
Car looks awesome! I grew up in Boca. Spanish River back in the day. I sure miss the smooth roads down there.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

Note that the 19's actually will make the gap bigger as the overall diameter of the 19 tire wheel combo is smaller then the 18 combo based on the stock spec tire sizes. I stuck with the 18s for this reason when replacing my tires on my base C2. I plan on lowering with probably Techarts as well based on all the above commentary.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Yeah, I was concerned about the overall diameter thing. I found that if you compare the factory 18's to 19's for NB cars, you get:

Overall Diameter
18" FRONT: 25.40"
19" FRONT: 25.48" (+1.9mm)

18" REAR: 26.35"
19" REAR: 25.97" (-9.6mm)

So the rears are very slightly smaller...but that is what the lowering springs are for.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Originally Posted by The R
Brad, if you have any questions. I'm in your area. I can help you out or answer any question you may have as well.
<br>
Thanks R. I may well reach out to you when I get finances together for this. Always cool to meet local P-car guys.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:15 AM
jaguiler
Intermediate

Brad -

I have the exact same car as you - color and all - just got mine in June ! Looking for the same list of upgrades. I like the design of the 18s. How do you think the H&R springs or Eibachs will look with the stock 18" wheels ? Has anyone done this, pics ?

John
Old 08-17-2015, 12:37 AM
BradS71
Advanced

Hi John,

Cool! Congrats! Yeah, I am so happy with the decision to go meteor grey. I'm loving the car.

Regarding your question... I'm about to find out. I've been going back and forth, trying to decide what I want to do. What I REALLY want is the 19" grey Carrera Sports like awrryan's...but they are $$$. So, its occurred to me that my wheels are actually not all that "bad". It's the stance of the car that is bothering me.

So I've decided that I am going to do the other things first; Eibachs to sit it down an inch or so, 5mm spacers to push the wheels out to flush, Red calipers, and a little window tint.

After that, I'm going to re-evaluate how happy I am with the wheels. I'm thinking (hoping) that once they are sitting out a little more and the huge fender gap is gone (and the shiny red calipers shining through), I'm gonna love the wheels.

I'm preparing to sell a pretty high-end drum set-up to fund this, so hopefully I'll have cash and be ready to roll in the next week or two. I'll post pics!

- Brad
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 AM
jaguiler
Intermediate

Cool - looking forward to your progression ! I will do Gundo within the next month, and springs shortly thereafter - The only difference between your car and mine is the clear side marker lights. Congrats to you too
Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah, I was concerned about the overall diameter thing. I found that if you compare the factory 18's to 19's for NB cars, you get:

Overall Diameter
18" FRONT: 25.40"
19" FRONT: 25.48" (+1.9mm)

18" REAR: 26.35"
19" REAR: 25.97" (-9.6mm)

So the rears are very slightly smaller...but that is what the lowering springs are for.
Did you not see my pictures above? Overall diameter is not perceptibly different going from OEM 18's to OEM 19's. I do agree on the need for lowering springs with the stock suspension.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

Style wise I like your 19's better then the 18's Gripster. Hard to really tell the actual gap difference from the pictures. But, when you think about it you are lowering the car 25mm lets say. So the diameter differnce btween 19 and 18 is 10mm, 40% difference. However, probably only about a 5mm differnce when you consider the differnce at the top of the wheel and gap effect so about a 20% difference. Just saying that going thru all the expense and effort to close the gap by only 25mm, if you go to stock 19's you are working against yourself in that the gapp differnce will 5mm less than if you stayed with the 18's. But you are right, form a perception point the 19's may look better overall, but mathematically the gap is not as tight as it would be with the stock 18s.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gripster
Did you not see my pictures above? Overall diameter is not perceptibly different going from OEM 18's to OEM 19's. I do agree on the need for lowering springs with the stock suspension.
I did! And I agree. I was responding to the post above mine where he was warning that going to 19's would make the gap seem worse. I was just pointing out what the actual measurements are.

Quick Reply: Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs