Sponsored by:

Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 03:51 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
Awrryan; this reminded me of my earlier post #23 in this thread. I am wondering now if that height differential (10mm lower @ front and 10mm higher @ rear that you are seeing) has anything to do with the front end suspension issue you've been having. Did you ever determine if the support rings were installed on the front strut assembly, and are you still running 5mm spacers at the front?

The reason I ask is that I have 8mm spacers at the front and have never had any rubbing issues even on hard cornering. Just a thought...
Yes. The support rings/compensating plates were reinstalled and I'm still running 5mm oem spacers on all 4 corners. I don't have any rubbing issues when the suspension compresses. Only the bottom of the fender liner in front of the front wheels rubs the ground sometimes over certain dips or on certain approaches in driveway. I'll take more measurements when the new control arms are installed and I get my car back. Maybe the height difference has to do with my oem shocks compared to your bilsteins ?!?!

Last edited by awrryan; 09-13-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:27 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Yes. The support rings/compensating plates were reinstalled and I'm still running 5mm oem spacers on all 4 corners. I don't have any rubbing issues when the suspension compresses. Only the bottom of the fender liner in front of the front wheels rubs the ground sometimes over certain dips or on certain approaches in driveway. I'll take more measurements when the new control arms are installed and I get my car back. Maybe the height difference has to do with my oem shocks compared to your bilsteins ?!?!
Got it.
Apologies; was clearly reading too fast
I have a pretty steep driveway and do get that same area scraping if not very careful.

What is the current height at the front of your car (ground to inside of wheel arch)?
Old 09-13-2015, 09:40 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Got it.
Apologies; was clearly reading too fast
I have a pretty steep driveway and do get that same area scraping if not very careful.

What is the current height at the front of your car (ground to inside of wheel arch)?
No apologies necessary. Thank you for letting me know to look out for the compensating plates. I'll let you know about the measurements as soon as I get my car back from the dealer. LOL! I did take a picture of what it looks like. See below. I think the ride height looks great. How is your car? Are you still happy with the ride?

Old 09-13-2015, 10:14 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

It does look good indeed.
I hope they get your suspension mystery resolved soon.

I have absolutely zero regrets - I would do the same mods over and over again. I absolutely love the handling, and anyone I take for a drive is always really impressed at how planted it feels and how well it handles on twisty roads.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

It does look good indeed.
I hope they get your suspension mystery resolved soon.

I have absolutely zero regrets - I would do the same mods over and over again. I absolutely love the handling, and anyone I take for a drive is always really impressed at how planted it feels and how well it handles on twisty roads.
Good to hear. I'll end up switching to bilsteins when it's time to replace my shocks. Not so worried about my suspension because it's either the lower control arms or the shock mounts. Just taking a while. Measurements to come. Thanks for the info about sway bars in your other posts.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:04 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that would drive me nuts waiting a month for parts to come in! Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Your car does look great in that pic. Love those wheels! Also, looks like a white GT2 next to you? Nice!

You asked what is next? Fisters!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradS71
Man, that would drive me nuts waiting a month for parts to come in! Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Your car does look great in that pic. Love those wheels! Also, looks like a white GT2 next to you? Nice!

You asked what is next? Fisters!
Thanks. I am going nuts. I want it back already. Can't wait until it's cleaned and I can actually drive it. Should be this week. The white car is a 991 carrera with a funky paint job or wrap. Great choice on the fisters. You won't regret it. Next, you're going to want the sharkwerks bypass for that little extra growl. I did fisters first and waited until I got used to the sound before deciding that I wanted the bypass.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:02 AM
BradS71
Advanced

The white car is a 991 carrera with a funky paint job or wrap.
Ah! I was fooled by the hood.

Great choice on the fisters. You won't regret it. Next, you're going to want the sharkwerks bypass for that little extra growl. I did fisters first and waited until I got used to the sound before deciding that I wanted the bypass.
Yeah, I'm fully convinced on the Fisters. Just need to pay off what I just did real quick and then that's next. The videos sound like a big difference...especially for only 300 bucks. Of course, I'm sure you're right and I'll want the bypass pipe next!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Alright guys,...would like this group's input on this latest little thing. I got some of the Carbon Fiber stone guards from MagnaGrafik. I wasn't ready to commit, so I went with the magnetics.

I'm about 60/40 in favor of liking them...I think. My wife doesn't...and my hardcore Porsche buddy has been ribbing me a little and says pull them off. What do you guys think?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Alright guys,...would like this group's input on this latest little thing. I got some of the Carbon Fiber stone guards from MagnaGrafik. I wasn't ready to commit, so I went with the magnetics.

I'm about 60/40 in favor of liking them...I think. My wife doesn't...and my hardcore Porsche buddy has been ribbing me a little and says pull them off. What do you guys think?

Please don't hate me, but I hate the black stone guards on any 911 except for a wide-body or turbo '80s 911. Don't think they go well on our cars because I think they stick out like a sore thumb. I think your car looks amazing without them. That said, it's your car. If you like them, do it. As much as most people here have their own opinions, including me, do what makes you happy. Most people here respect everyone's different taste. It's really a personal preference and your opinion is the only one that matters. Still liking the ride lowered? It looks sick!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:59 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Please don't hate me, but I hate the black stone guards on any 911 except for a wide-body or turbo '80s 911. Don't think they go well on our cars because I think they stick out like a sore thumb. I think your car looks amazing without them. That said, it's your car. If you like them, do it. As much as most people here have their own opinions, including me, do what makes you happy. Most people here respect everyone's different taste. It's really a personal preference and your opinion is the only one that matters.
Ha! No worries at all man. Honesty is exactly what I'm looking for. My problem is I myself am so torn here. I like them, then I look again and I don't. I think I'm subconsciously hoping a few of you will say "ugg" and I can feel confirmed in the decision to pull them... ;-)

And yes, LOVING everything about the lowered ride. An absolute no-brainer to lower these cars...
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Ha! No worries at all man. Honesty is exactly what I'm looking for. My problem is I myself am so torn here. I like them, then I look again and I don't. I think I'm subconsciously hoping a few of you will say "ugg" and I can feel confirmed in the decision to pull them... ;-)

And yes, LOVING everything about the lowered ride. An absolute no-brainer to lower these cars...
If they are magnetic, keep them on for a while and see if they really grow on you. The reason I think they stick out is because there is no black trim on the bumpers and the lower rocker panel like on the '80s 911s. But nothing wrong with a bit of contrast. Try posting a new thread to see what everyone thinks.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:31 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Just checked my first 911. 1987 cabriolet. Didn't have the black stone guards. For some reason, I only like them on the wide body cars in the '80s. Here's a pic of a pic of that car:

Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with awrryan and your wife. Don't like the black stone guards on modern 911's. I was actually considering them as well for my car when I got it a couple of months ago since I think it is too white and was looking for some contrast, but I finally came to the conclusion that I don't like them. I'm thinking of going with black wheels instead.

Your car looks fantastic without them.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATSR
I agree with awrryan and your wife. Don't like the black stone guards on modern 911's. I was actually considering them as well for my car when I got it a couple of months ago since I think it is too white and was looking for some contrast, but I finally came to the conclusion that I don't like them. I'm thinking of going with black wheels instead.

Your car looks fantastic without them.
Alright, that's 2 against already...4 counting my wife and my buddy. I knew it....I just needed to be told...

Anyone with a black car want these for cheap? Hmmm...who has a black car on this thread?...

Quick Reply: Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs