Sponsored by:

Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:50 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

I just lowered my 2010 997.2 (base Carrera without PASM) with Techart lowering springs. Pics below. The front seems a lot lower than what I was expecting. It looks as low as H&Rs unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. I was under the impression that these would lower the car similar to Eibachs (and maybe slightly less). For those of you that lowered your 997.2 with Techarts, does your car look similar to mine? Do you have measurements you can share? I've seen EMC2's measurements in his somewhat recent post and my measurement shows a drop lower than his, but he installed different shocks and perhaps my springs simply haven't settled in the rear yet. I'm using my OEM shocks. I was told by the dealer who installed the springs that the car was sitting really high in the back when they first lowered the car to the ground after the install, but the back settled immediately to what it looks like now after driving off. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by awrryan; 06-30-2015 at 08:37 PM. Reason: To post better pics
Old 06-30-2015, 05:41 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Do you have a C2 or C4? There are different TechArt springs for each. If you installed the C2 springs on a C4 that would explain the lower front since there is more weight in the front of a C4 with the AWD differential up there.

Edit: meant spring. Not shocks.

Last edited by nwGTS; 06-30-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:59 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Do you have a C2 or C4? There are different TechArt shocks for each. If you installed the C2 shocks on a C4 that would explain the lower front since there is more weight in the front of a C4 with the AWD differential up there.
I have a C2. And the car seems to drive and handle bumps alright, I'm just worried...
I checked that I purchased the correct part number.

Last edited by awrryan; 06-30-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Default Update with measurements.

I took measurements, but, unfortunately, I completely forgot to take measurements before I sent the car to the dealer.

Front driver side, ground to fender 25.75"
Front driver side, top edge of rim to fender 3.25"
Same for front passenger side.

Rear drivers side, ground to fender 27"
Rear driver side, top edge of rim to fender 4"
Same for rear passenger side

Going to compare these to other measurements I found online.

I think the car drives really well and seems a little bit softer over the bumps on my usual drive to work, but again, just nervous about how low it is.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:07 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

First, the car looks amazing! And really good to hear the ride is compliant. I noticed no change at all from OEM ride after installing Tech Art springs on my C2. Very nice product.

I just measured my front and rears - it's dark so will check all the measurements tomorrow but fronts are same as yours 3.25 from top of rim to fender and my rears sit 3.75 inches. This is just less than 1 inch lower than my car prior to Tech Art springs installed. I did not change my shocks from OEM either. I'll verify the measurements from the ground to fender tomorrow.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 06-30-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
First, the car looks amazing! And really good to hear the ride is compliant. I noticed no change at all from OEM ride after installing Tech Art springs on my C2. Very nice product.

I just measured my front and rears - it's dark so will check all the measurements tomorrow but fronts are same as yours 3.25 from top of rim to fender and my rears sit 3.75 inches. This is just less than 1 inch lower than my car prior to Tech Art springs installed. I did not change my shocks from OEM either. I'll verify the measurements from the ground to fender tomorrow.
Thanks. I love the look. I took a drive on a familiar road and noticed the car actually took some of the bumps along the road a lot smoother than what I was accustomed to. I don't know how to attribute that and i recognize that sounds weird but I'm happy. I LOVE the look. No regrets. Was just concerned about ride height and whether anything was amiss. Perhaps my rear springs need to settle a little more. Going to drive the car the rest of the week to get used to it. Thanks for measurements. Let me know if anything changes.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

2 possibilities to consider.

Are you able to check if the compensating plate (black part - typically about 3 or 6mm in height depending on model) and support ring (silver) are installed at the top of the front spring? Both of these will have an impact on ride height in the front.

(Sorry I don't have the pics or part numbers on hand right now)

Mine are installed without the compensating plate as suggested by the Bilstein Shock installation guide. So if yours is lower than mine at the front, something could be missing from the strut assembly.

The other element is the impact offset has on the 'apparent' ride height. Lowering typically necessitates the addition of spacers (or increase in spacer width) if you want the correct look.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMC2
2 possibilities to consider.

Are you able to check if the compensating plate (black part - typically about 3 or 6mm in height depending on model) and support ring (silver) are installed at the top of the front spring? Both of these will have an impact on ride height in the front.

(Sorry I don't have the pics or part numbers on hand right now)

Mine are installed without the compensating plate as suggested by the Bilstein Shock installation guide. So if yours is lower than mine at the front, something could be missing from the strut assembly.

The other element is the impact offset has on the 'apparent' ride height. Lowering typically necessitates the addition of spacers (or increase in spacer width) if you want the correct look.
I think they are. Here are pics of front right:

And here are pics of front left:

Can you tell from these pics?

Last edited by awrryan; 07-01-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Difficult to be sure from the pics.
It looks like you have the compensating plate but not the support ring (metal piece). Of course I could be wrong as the pics are a little dark.

This would only have a 2 or 3 mm impact but I think it is structurally important to have the metal support ring also.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My fronts, with OEM shocks, are siting 82mm or 3.25 from bottom of fender to top edge of rim. EMC2 measured 86mm or (from photo) 3 3/8. My rears are sitting 95mm vs EMC2 94mm.

I can't tell re: compensating plates being installed or not but will take the wheels off when I get home (next week) and have a look. Are these compensating plates something that needed to be ordered and installed or were they there with the OEM springs?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:03 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMC2
Difficult to be sure from the pics.
It looks like you have the compensating plate but not the support ring (metal piece). Of course I could be wrong as the pics are a little dark.

This would only have a 2 or 3 mm impact but I think it is structurally important to have the metal support ring also.
Ok. Thanks for your help. Going to double check.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

OP, your car looks fantastic!! Can't wait to do the same to my car.

Could you please let me know where did go to have them installed? I'm in South Fla as well.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
My fronts, with OEM shocks, are siting 82mm or 3.25 from bottom of fender to top edge of rim. EMC2 measured 86mm or (from photo) 3 3/8. My rears are sitting 95mm vs EMC2 94mm.

I can't tell re: compensating plates being installed or not but will take the wheels off when I get home (next week) and have a look. Are these compensating plates something that needed to be ordered and installed or were they there with the OEM springs?
They should have been there with OEM springs/strut assembly. Thanks for checking and for your measurements. Looks like my rear is sitting 0.25 inches higher than yours. Still want to give the springs a chance to settle Think I also need to jack up car higher to take better pics tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATSR
OP, your car looks fantastic!! Can't wait to do the same to my car.

Could you please let me know where did go to have them installed? I'm in South Fla as well.
Thanks! I went to Champion Motorsport (owned by Champion Motors) in Pompano Beach, FL. They typically install H&R springs, but I bought the Techarts from Golan at Auto Talent in California. The alignment that Champion Motorsport did is fantastic. The car is way less twitchy than my last alignment and they aligned the steering wheel perfectly straight the first time. I dealt with Tom at Champion Motorsport. I didn't want any stories or issues with the alignment ( or have an independent shop who doesn't have an alignment rack send the car out front alignment). I'm concerned about how low the front is sitting, but that could be all in my head, assuming all of the parts were reinstalled. I was assured that they were. I'm still checking measurements which are almost consistent with Jcsomerv. EMC2 which has the same wrongs used different shocks. I'm still on OEM shocks. PM me if you want to meet up to go for a ride in my car to see if you'll like the springs.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Thanks! I went to Champion Motorsport (owned by Champion Motors) in Pompano Beach, FL. They typically install H&R springs, but I bought the Techarts from Golan at Auto Talent in California. The alignment that Champion Motorsport did is fantastic. The car is way less twitchy than my last alignment and they aligned the steering wheel perfectly straight the first time. I dealt with Tom at Champion Motorsport. I didn't want any stories or issues with the alignment ( or have an independent shop who doesn't have an alignment rack send the car out front alignment). I'm concerned about how low the front is sitting, but that could be all in my head, assuming all of the parts were reinstalled. I was assured that they were. I'm still checking measurements which are almost consistent with Jcsomerv. EMC2 which has the same wrongs used different shocks. I'm still on OEM shocks. PM me if you want to meet up to go for a ride in my car to see if you'll like the springs.
Thanks for your detailed reply and your offer to ride on your car. I will probably take you up on the offer when I get close to purchasing the springs. I just got the car last Saturday (my first Porsche!!!!!!) so I'm currently on the research phase

Quick Reply: Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs