Sponsored by:

Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
Thanks for your detailed reply and your offer to ride on your car. I will probably take you up on the offer when I get close to purchasing the springs. I just got the car last Saturday (my first Porsche!!!!!!) so I'm currently on the research phase
Congratulations! Sure thing. What kind did you get?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll be honest it looks about the same height as my C2S in sport mode. I think it looks perfect, not too low at all.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Congratulations! Sure thing. What kind did you get?
Thanks!! Words cannot describe how happy I am.

I got a white 2011 base Carrera with 18k miles, CPO. I believe the only factory option it has is the 19 inch Carrera Classic wheels. I'll create a thread sometime over the weekend to introduce myself properly.

Here's a pic of the car right before I was given the keys:

Old 07-01-2015, 03:06 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I'll be honest it looks about the same height as my C2S in sport mode. I think it looks perfect, not too low at all.
Thanks! I "shared" the road today on the way to work with a 997 Carrera S (with stock PASM suspension). From far, it looked like that car was lowered, but when it caught up to me at the next light, I could tell it sits slightly higher. A stock PASM car still looks good to me. Love the aero package on your car in your avatar.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:09 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Thanks!! Words cannot describe how happy I am.

I got a white 2011 base Carrera with 18k miles, CPO. I believe the only factory option it has is the 19 inch Carrera Classic wheels. I'll create a thread sometime over the weekend to introduce myself properly.

Here's a pic of the car right before I was given the keys:

That looks sweet! The white looks really "clean!" congrats! I had the same wheels when I first bought mine. Mine is also CPO'd, but I purchased it with 50,000 highway miles from a dealer who took it in on a trade from the original owner. My car was actually purchased from the original owner from Champion Motors. The owner moved to California and traded it in over there. I bought it over the phone sight unseen and had it shipped back to Florida. Is your interior gray or black? I'm in Boca Raton, but let me know if you want to try out my car.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:34 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

That looks sweet! The white looks really "clean!" congrats! I had the same wheels when I first bought mine. Mine is also CPO'd, but I purchased it with 50,000 highway miles from a dealer who took it in on a trade from the original owner. My car was actually purchased from the original owner from Champion Motors. The owner moved to California and traded it in over there. I bought it over the phone sight unseen and had it shipped back to Florida. Is your interior gray or black? I'm in Boca Raton, but let me know if you want to try out my car.
Thanks! My interior is black. I might end up replacing the wheels at some point in the future (at least 1 year from now), but there are a long list of things that I want to do before I change them. First things on the list are:

- Clear side markers (got them already)
- Full color center caps (got them too)
- Window tints
- Gundo hack (or Fister mufflers, not sure yet)

Then:

- Techart lowering springs and spacers

Etc.............
Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks great! About same as my H&R springs. Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:42 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Awrryan - i finally had some time to look a little closer.
I agree with everyone else, that the car looks great, and nothing looks "off" with the ride height.

I still maintain that spacers would lessen the effect or appearance that the wheel is tucked under the front fender (if it is bugging you ). I started with 5mm prior to lowering and then changed to 8mm after lowering (front) and 10mm at the rear.

Based on your measurements it looks like your car is sitting 10mm higher than mine in the rear and 10 mm lower in the front. That is something I find intriguing. It would be interesting to know if this changes much over the next few days as the suspension settles, although I wouldn't expect to see a significant change. I looked at the one pic on my thread and it seems that the support ring should be visible on yours even though you have the compensating plate installed. To me this could be the only explanation if you feel the drop is really too much in the front. Imho

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMC2
Awrryan - i finally had some time to look a little closer.
I agree with everyone else, that the car looks great, and nothing looks "off" with the ride height.

I still maintain that spacers would lessen the effect or appearance that the wheel is tucked under the front fender (if it is bugging you ). I started with 5mm prior to lowering and then changed to 8mm after lowering (front) and 10mm at the rear.

Based on your measurements it looks like your car is sitting 10mm higher than mine in the rear and 10 mm lower in the front. That is something I find intriguing. It would be interesting to know if this changes much over the next few days as the suspension settles, although I wouldn't expect to see a significant change. I looked at the one pic on my thread and it seems that the support ring should be visible on yours even though you have the compensating plate installed. To me this could be the only explanation if you feel the drop is really too much in the front. Imho

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm going to look at your thread again and check whether all support rings are there.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks! I went to Champion Motorsport (owned by Champion Motors) in Pompano Beach, FL. They typically install H&R springs, but I bought the Techarts from Golan at Auto Talent in California. The alignment that Champion Motorsport did is fantastic. The car is way less twitchy than my last alignment and they aligned the steering wheel perfectly straight the first time. I dealt with Tom at Champion Motorsport. I didn't want any stories or issues with the alignment ( or have an independent shop who doesn't have an alignment rack send the car out front alignment). I'm concerned about how low the front is sitting, but that could be all in my head, assuming all of the parts were reinstalled. I was assured that they were. I'm still checking measurements which are almost consistent with Jcsomerv. EMC2 which has the same wrongs used different shocks. I'm still on OEM shocks. PM me if you want to meet up to go for a ride in my car to see if you'll like the springs.
Hi awrryan, Tom at Champion Motorsports lowered my car some time ago (I used H&R springs). He was a pleasure to work with. Your car looks great. Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Thanks! My interior is black. I might end up replacing the wheels at some point in the future (at least 1 year from now), but there are a long list of things that I want to do before I change them. First things on the list are:

- Clear side markers (got them already)
- Full color center caps (got them too)
- Window tints
- Gundo hack (or Fister mufflers, not sure yet)

Then:

- Techart lowering springs and spacers

Etc.............
Fantastic list! You will be sooooo happy when you do the exhaust and especially when you get to the Tech Arts.... It transformed the car for me. Cannot believe the difference it makes in looks with no negative on ride. Amazing mod.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Fantastic list! You will be sooooo happy when you do the exhaust and especially when you get to the Tech Arts.... It transformed the car for me. Cannot believe the difference it makes in looks with no negative on ride. Amazing mod.
Thanks for the feedback! It seems that the Tech Arts are worth the extra $$ compared to the other options. It's amazing that you are able to lower the car without ruining the ride.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:57 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GBG
Hi awrryan, Tom at Champion Motorsports lowered my car some time ago (I used H&R springs). He was a pleasure to work with. Your car looks great. Enjoy!
Thanks! That's who I dealt with and my car was ready sooner than promised.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:02 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback! It seems that the Tech Arts are worth the extra $$ compared to the other options. It's amazing that you are able to lower the car without ruining the ride.
I am dumbfounded about that also. I'm continuing to drive it every day on familiar roads with familiar bumps just to make sure and I have noticed that it's flatter around the corners, but I have not heard or felt it hit bumps any harder than before as if the shocks are bottoming out. I'm wondering if it is just me, but it seems to take train track crossings and other similar bumps a little softer also. I'll keep driving it and post a detailed review in a few days or a week. I definitely love the look of the car. The only other spring option I was considering was Eibachs.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:50 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

FWIW....I'm on my third 997 now, all three lowered with H&R which is another .25" lower than Techart/Eibach. Feels much more planted to to the road but I swear I can't tell the difference in ride quality compared to stock.

Quick Reply: Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs