Sponsored by:

Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:23 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs

Car looks amazing and you are saying the same as most of us about the ride improving after lowering - what a mod! I have to say those 18" OEM wheels are transformed and look great! Congratulations enjoy (going to stare at mine now and re-read EMC2's original post on this topic as I am warming up to sway bars....)

Last edited by jcsomerv; 09-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:31 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by cool flash
Looks a-ok to me!

Even the standard 18s look good now.

CF
Completely agree. Moving to 19s not as important now. Those 18s look great with the car lowered.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Car looks amazing and you are saying the same as most of us about the ride improving after lowering - what a mod! I have to say those 18" OEM wheels are transformed. Congratulations enjoy (going to stare at mine now and re-read EMC2's original post on this topic as I am warming up to sway bars....)
I'm jumping on the gt3 away bar bandwagon also as soon as my lower control arms are replaced and I get my car back from the dealer.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:43 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Guys, just a note on the sway bars;
If you have PDK I believe you will need an adapter plate if you are using the OEM GT3 Rear Sway bar. ( I used the TPC Racing bar at the rear, which was a direct fit)

The OEM GT3 Front sway bar is a direct fit.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
Guys, just a note on the sway bars;
If you have PDK I believe you will need an adapter plate if you are using the OEM GT3 Rear Sway bar. ( I used the TPC Racing bar at the rear, which was a direct fit)

The OEM GT3 Front sway bar is a direct fit.
A note on this. Both TPC and Rennline sell an adapter for the rear GT3 sway. I was told by the Rennline rep that you will need the adapter for ALL Carrera models. So both 6MT (what I have) and PDK will need the spacer. Both outfits sell them for $150. No affiliation.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:06 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cool flash
Looks a-ok to me!

Even the standard 18s look good now.

CF
Car looks amazing and you are saying the same as most of us about the ride improving after lowering - what a mod! I have to say those 18" OEM wheels are transformed. Congratulations enjoy (going to stare at mine now and re-read EMC2's original post on this topic as I am warming up to sway bars....)
Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate all the guidance and support on here.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BradS71
Thanks! The 18's were tough for me to swallow too. At first, I thought all I needed was to buy 19's...then I came on here and got educated. I'm SO glad I did this and didn't just throw all my $$$ into a set of 19's that wouldn't have solved the bigger issue of the car's stance. I think I'm actually OK with these wheels now...or is that for now?...

The wheels are 8x18, ET57 and 10.5x18, ET60, then the spacers are 7 front and 15 rear. Looking at it, I could've easily gone 10-12 on the front. They are REALLY tucked in there in the base config. My mechanic told me keeping the car "square" is a good idea too...so I don't know, maybe I'll put a little bigger ones on front to see how it feels.

Happy for now though. ...gotta focus on saving up for the Fisters!
Thanks for the info!

I have the same feeling about my wheels (19 Carrera Classics). I think they are going to look much better as soon as I lower it and put spacers. I think they're a bit plain. I'll probably end up replacing them at some point, but I'll be ok with them until I do.

I agree that it would look better with 10mm spacers up front. Based on your pics and front wheel offset I've decided to go with those.

I'm jealous of your red calipers
Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes I too was shopping for new wheels to replace my Lobsters but based on EMC2s excellent post, I decided to lower first and now have no intention to replace the wheels. Saved a bunch of money to direct to other mods and got the look I was after. I highly recommend lowering first and deciding on new wheels later.

Also agree that the front wheels could handle more aggressive spacers but one word of caution is I read (have not experienced) that you get more stone chips on your rear fender by pushing the fronts out. Made sense to me so I have stayed conservative with the front spacers - interested if others have had any experience in this regard.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Thank you! I've already got sway bars and YOUR garage on my wish list!
I meant to ask you: what spacers did you use? I saw that you used 7 and 15, but what brand?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:21 PM
BradS71
Advanced

Also agree that the front wheels could handle more aggressive spacers but one word of caution is I read (have not experienced) that you get more stone chips on your rear fender by pushing the fronts out. Made sense to me so I have stayed conservative with the front spacers - interested if others have had any experience in this regard.
Now that you remind me, I have heard this same concern about rocks. It does make sense. Maybe I'm good the way it is!

Originally Posted by awrryan
I meant to ask you: what spacers did you use? I saw that you used 7 and 15, but what brand?
The spacers are FVD Brombacher. They look really nice and I liked the whole MIG thing, but one small disappointment was that the holes to bolt them to the wheel hub did not line up correctly. So we had to just put them in without bolting them down. Not a biggie really, just have to keep it in mind and be a little more careful when taking wheels on/off. But it bugged me that I bought premium parts and those holes don't line up.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:08 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 136 Posts

Now that you remind me, I have heard this same concern about rocks. It does make sense. Maybe I'm good the way it is! .

I'd recommend "clear bra" for even behind each wheel, its used alot for that purpose (not just for da hood)...
Old 09-13-2015, 12:16 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Now that you remind me, I have heard this same concern about rocks. It does make sense. Maybe I'm good the way it is!

The spacers are FVD Brombacher. They look really nice and I liked the whole MIG thing, but one small disappointment was that the holes to bolt them to the wheel hub did not line up correctly. So we had to just put them in without bolting them down. Not a biggie really, just have to keep it in mind and be a little more careful when taking wheels on/off. But it bugged me that I bought premium parts and those holes don't line up.
You still liking the lowered ride? Anything to report back?
Old 09-13-2015, 12:25 PM
BradS71
Advanced

You still liking the lowered ride? Anything to report back?
Love it. After driving it for a week, I am convinced the ride is better than the stock springs. And a couple of my "car buddies" who have ridden in the car quite a bit agree.

BTW, I did some measurements to compare how it turned out with your measurements. So on the floor to fender well, I was 27.25" in the front before. Now its 26". You are 25.75" so maybe I have some settling to do yet? In the rear, I was 28" before and now its 27", which I believe is the same as yours.

On the wheel to fender measurements, mine are now both 1/2" more than yours, which makes sense since I have 18's vs. your 19's. So all in all, it looks like I got really similar results.

You still loving it too? No issues?
Old 09-13-2015, 02:15 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Love it. After driving it for a week, I am convinced the ride is better than the stock springs. And a couple of my "car buddies" who have ridden in the car quite a bit agree.

BTW, I did some measurements to compare how it turned out with your measurements. So on the floor to fender well, I was 27.25" in the front before. Now its 26". You are 25.75" so maybe I have some settling to do yet? In the rear, I was 28" before and now its 27", which I believe is the same as yours.

On the wheel to fender measurements, mine are now both 1/2" more than yours, which makes sense since I have 18's vs. your 19's. So all in all, it looks like I got really similar results.

You still loving it too? No issues?
Still loving it, but annoyed that I haven't been able to drive it. It's been at the dealer for over a month waiting for front lower control arms to resolve a pre-existing clunk noise I sometimes hear over certain bumps at low speed. They checked everything else except the front control arms that I had initially asked them to check. To make matters worse, the parts are on back order. Other than that I love it. Love the look and love the ride. The front bottom edge of the fender liner in front of the front wheels scrapes mildly sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the ride. Glad to hear your loving it. It looks so much better.

I'm planning on driving it from south Florida to Montreal Canada for a real estate closing. That should be fun. The drive should be fun. The roads in Montreal not so much. The roads there are horrible. What's next for your car?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:39 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Still loving it, but annoyed that I haven't been able to drive it. It's been at the dealer for over a month waiting for front lower control arms to resolve a pre-existing clunk noise I sometimes hear over certain bumps at low speed. They checked everything else except the front control arms that I had initially asked them to check. To make matters worse, the parts are on back order. Other than that I love it. Love the look and love the ride. The front bottom edge of the fender liner in front of the front wheels scrapes mildly sometimes, but that has nothing to do with the ride. Glad to hear your loving it. It looks so much better.

I'm planning on driving it from south Florida to Montreal Canada for a real estate closing. That should be fun. The drive should be fun. The roads in Montreal not so much. The roads there are horrible. What's next for your car?
Awrryan; this reminded me of my earlier post #23 in this thread. I am wondering now if that height differential (10mm lower @ front and 10mm higher @ rear that you are seeing) has anything to do with the front end suspension issue you've been having. Did you ever determine if the support rings were installed on the front strut assembly, and are you still running 5mm spacers at the front?

The reason I ask is that I have 8mm spacers at the front and have never had any rubbing issues even on hard cornering. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Lowered 997.2 base Carrera with Techart Lowering Springs