997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017 | 10:21 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Great Job. I'm sure the wait has been excruciating. Hope you get to give it a good romp soon.
Old 01-02-2017 | 11:54 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Very happy for you dude!!
Old 01-03-2017 | 04:44 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Amazing. Congratulations. The car has come along nicely!
Old 01-03-2017 | 07:46 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Sorry it took a bit. I was attempting to edit the video. Now I am not Stephen Spielberg so it is quite rough. I took this at about 8am this morning pst.

So, after over a year, here we are. I am quite happy about being able to put this thing together. It really was quite easy If I didn't have RL I would not have been able to do it. You guys are great. Even though this was not a take it all a part thread, it was a major deal for me. I thank you all. I hope to see some of you at a major PCA event in the future. I will have the car ready by then. All painted and even more engine modifications as well. I am trying to find out more about the engine. So will be keeping everyone updated.

What do you think the engine sounds like? It has about 70k some miles on it and looks as if it was rebuilt. This is based on my viewing the engine very closely with my unprofessional eyes. Well now I am looking to take the car to one of my local club Indies and have them give it a once over and then get it on a computer. This may take a bit of time as I have to get the care registered. I was putting it off but now I need to get it done.

The knocking sound is familiar (my Cayenne made this sound before I had some work done on it). My BMW makes a similar sound (sometimes). I still have to put the coolant in the car. I just put distilled water in it to check for leaks. No leaks. Now I need to drain it again, pressure test and fill with Porsche coolant. Will do that this week. I am still waiting on some parts. I will begin putting the lights and other ancillaries on the car tonight. I think I have most things torqued down. I will wait on the rear just in case I need to take the engine out again More vids to come. Again thanks all. I will try to add credits to my next video of some of the folks who were extra, extra helpful. Let me know what you think about the First Start!.
Well done!
Did you managed to get the transmission fluid in your tiptronic? What fluid did you use?
Old 01-04-2017 | 01:50 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I didn't do the tranny fluid yet. I had some time this evening and I put some gas in the car, started it back up and heard something squirting. Well one of the fuel connectors was not clipped in and I had gasoline all on my garage floor. I cleaned it up clipped the hose tight, started the car up again. I let it warm up to about 200 on the gauge. I was trying to see how to check how much oil registered as I had put about 10 quarts in the car. I have so many lights on I didn't get to the oil section. So I am putting the fender airbag sensors, headlights, foglights, rear lights on the car so I can get some good readings.

The engine sounds good. However I did notice some noisy pulley(s). I will be draining the distilled water out of the car and putting the coolant in. On Saturday I hope to take it for a drive down the street.
Old 01-04-2017 | 02:06 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ocmacman
On Saturday I hope to take it for a drive down the street.
What a milestone that will be - awesome !
Old 01-05-2017 | 05:14 AM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Congratulations!!
Old 01-05-2017 | 02:39 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Congratulations! When it fired up I think I heard a power steering whining noise. Make sure it has fluid in the reservoir. Can't wait to see it driving down the road
Old 01-06-2017 | 12:51 AM
bimmer81
Racer

Way to go !!!! Let me know when you're ready to hit the canyons. Great job, congrats!!
Old 01-06-2017 | 10:41 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Hello RL. In my video above, does anyone know where that brown plug goes? It's off to the right but I don't know where it goes.
Old 01-06-2017 | 11:19 PM
sc235813
Instructor

Phenomenal thread! Thank you.
Old 01-07-2017 | 10:52 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Hello RL. Today was a good day. Except for some wife stuff. So I got a call from McKenna Porsche that my junction box had arrived from god knows where. So my buddy and I went over to pick it up. He came over early as I wanted to do some more work on the car. So after we put more distilled water, more oil, PS fluid top off and put the wheels back on, I started it up and backed it out of the garage. Well the tranny worked as I backed it out. Now to see if it will shift. Well the tranny shifted as expected. However the lights on the shift display were a bit weird. The car was in drive however the tip manual numbers were moving from 1-5 gear. Is it supposed to do this? My Cayenne doesn't do this. It changed appropriately but the display needs some work. So I went around the block, did some breaking. Breaks were a bit soft. Now I bled them months ago. Maybe need to bleed again. So turning was fine. No Power Steering squeals. So I go back by the house and drop off my buddy and ask him to film me driving into the driveway. So here I come around the driveway and into the drive and I see some steam/smoke. My buddy says I have a leak and I immediately turn off the car. I see some water on the driver side (none on the passenger side). I raise the trunk and see the water has come out of the reservoir. I look at the front see water, take the front driver side wheel off and the top radiator hose has come off. Now I tightened the bottom one two days ago and thought this one was ok, well I guess it wasn't. So I tightened this one on. I think I need to tighten down one of the hoses on the reservoir too. So this was the only incident. Oil was fine, I looked at the gauge and engine oil pressure was bout 3-4 bars. Coolant temp was at 175, until the hose came off and the light started flashing.

So when I pulled into my garage and put the car into park, the key would not come out. I looked at the display and it said, " Please put gear in park". I said it's in park! My buddy said that the cable on the tranny may need some adjusting. Anybody have an idea here? So I can't get the key out. It's not the battery as I can open and pop hood, truck and start the car up and actually drive it. How should I pull on or fix the tranny cable?

Here is a picture of the car off jack stands, however I should be getting my Escos on Tuesday so back up it goes.

after an unspirited drive around the block.

Did anyone come up with where this plug goes? I am still looking. Maybe a picture from your equally powerful S engine can help?

Well, tomorrow I'll try to pressure test the coolant system if I can. If not then I'll just wait until I get my Uview coolant tester/filler. I did find a deal on a GT3 style front bumper. I also found a rear bumper. The rear bumper is OEM and cheap (100.00) I have a good bumper already but my bumper has a broken bumperette. Here I can get a whole bumper for 100.00 with two nice unbroken bumperettes. The bumperettes alone are about 150.00 apiece. I haven't heard back from the CList guy who has the GT3 front bumper.
Old 01-07-2017 | 11:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You might need a Durametric to bleed the abs circuits in order to get all the air out of the braking system in order to achieve a proper stiff pedal if regular bleeding isn't getting you there.
Old 01-07-2017 | 11:44 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

I am going to check the brake fluid too.
Old 01-08-2017 | 07:05 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Can you still switch manually through the gears?
The tiptronic need to be programmed to the engine/ vehicle (coded)
However, if you have it on the jack stands, just turn your wheels a bit forward and aft, till your tiptronic lever engages, works 99% and at least you get your key out.
It might also be possible that your ignition lock, the electric back part is defective, a typical problem...

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming