Sponsored by:

Just picked a C4S

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015 | 01:55 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Just picked a C4S

I happen to see a white base 997 at a local dealership a few weeks ago, at a really fair price (considering it had a Porsche rebuilt engine about 5000 miles ago). I was keeping an eye out for a white on black 997 coupe, and you don't see too many come up.

So, I went to check the car out, and it looked acceptable. I had snow tires on nice wheels, and was pretty clean inside. There was a dent in one fender, and a long mark on one of the doors. Clutch was replaced when the engine was done, and the history looked very good.

However, there was an issue. The dealer refused to sell me the car without a $4000 aftermarket warranty that he said was a requirement of the financing company. He also added another couple grand on for Gap Insurance and a security package. They were both BS, so I had him remove them.

The car was a good deal on its own, but with an expensive (and probably useless) aftermarket warranty, it was no longer a deal.

So, I looked around and found an 08 C4S that was configured pretty much EXACTLY how I would have ordered it from the factory. It was way more than I ever intended to spend, but it really seemed so perfectly spec'd, that I knew if I let it pass, I would be pretty unlikely to ever find one again setup the same.

I arranged a PPI and the car passed with flying colours. So, I had no choice but to take the car.

We swapped those wheels out with a winter set and I took the car home.

From what I can tell the car has the usual 997 C4S stuff, plus the carbon package, grey instrument cluster background, Sport steering wheel, red seatbelts, and non-factory painted seat backs and lower rocker panels. I am not sure if the 19-inch wheels were and options, but I like them better than most of the other factory 997 offerings.

I was surprised to find myself pretty nervous after picking up the car. I have never spent anywhere close to this amount on a car before, so it is going to take a bit of getting used to.

I just came back from a 30min drive in bone-chilling temperatures. It was a blast! The steering feels a bit heavy compared to what I am used to, but very precise. The car has way more low end torque than what I was expecting. With the shocks in comfort mode, the ride was definitely more comfortable (big surprise) but felt a tiny bit floaty (may also be the winters contributing to this). In sport suspension mode the car felt awesome, but it was cool to be able to flip back and forth.

In sport engine mode, the car has a much better feel to it, since it is faster and seems more responsive. I liked flipping the suspension between the two modes, but I would rather just have the engine locked in SPORT. I like that less pedal engagement is needed in SPORT. I may look into a tune to have it locked in this mode.

I think my favorite part of the car was the short shifter, transmission, and clutch. It just feels perfect. Gear shifts are nice and short, yet easy to find. The clutch engagement seemed to be in the right place, and was pretty smooth. I like a LW flywheel, so I might do one when the clutch is replaced. The gearing seemed perfectly matched for the engine and car. I am VERY happy I didnt go PDK.

After driving the car I found myself surprised at how engaging and rewarding it was. I can see now why people go nuts for these cars, and that was just after a short ride around the city in -20 degree weather with winter tires. I can't wait until Spring when I can really give it a go!

Quick Reply: Just picked a C4S