Sponsored by:

The new 911 Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
The ugly black plastic lower rear bumper. Don't understand why everyone is doing this now (Ford, Audi, Caddy,etc) and guessing it will be a feature of the next iteration
It's to visually lower the car when viewed from the rear, with the black lower bumper you see less body color making the car look lower.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 PM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruce R
It's to visually lower the car when viewed from the rear, with the black lower bumper you see less body color making the car look lower.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, it matches similar black panels at the bottom of the rocker panels, rear quarter panels, and front air dam. If it were an isolated part I might agree, but since it follows around the perimeter of the car it gives this treatment continuity...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
I think not. Black anywhere in the lower edges - front, sides or rear - raises the car appearance.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Neither my 996 nor my 997.1 had leather on the dash, and I can't say I gave it a moment's thought. The only things I look at in the interior are the gauge pod, center stack (radio/nav), and my kids in the rear seats. "Don't make me come back there!"

In my MB (which I consider half sport/half luxury), I got every option available. On my 911's, I get the absolute minimum. When I get in them, its all about working the gears, listening to the engine, and enjoying the scenery. If someone snuck in and covered my dash in astroturf, it would probably take me a week to notice.

I sure don't get the "love for leather", but I'm glad Porsche has so many custom options so folks can get exactly what they like.
Thats exactly where I am. If i bought used and it was already there - cool. But I dont need it and wouldnt pay extra for it new - and didnt. I'll pay extra for options that change the driving experience (SPASM, PDK) or my enjoyment/needs (Bose, PSE, BT, UAI, NAV).
Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodsky
Thats exactly where I am. If i bought used and it was already there - cool. But I dont need it and wouldnt pay extra for it new - and didnt. I'll pay extra for options that change the driving experience (SPASM, PDK) or my enjoyment/needs (Bose, PSE, BT, UAI, NAV).
I paid extra for performance options (PDK, LSD) and my enjoyment/needs (full natural leather, UAI) and not for (Bose, PSE, XM, NAV). So it's all a matter of choice.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Cogito
Racer

I found two new (to me) longer videos of a GTS Cab and a GTS Coupe. Cars are stationary but nicely done video.

Coupe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=503nIc4kMNo

Cab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFQKq6emUg&NR=1

Enjoy,
Don
Old 10-22-2010, 08:36 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito
I found two new (to me) longer videos of a GTS Cab and a GTS Coupe. Cars are stationary but nicely done video.

Coupe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=503nIc4kMNo

Cab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFQKq6emUg&NR=1

Enjoy,
Don
Great videos....haven't seen them before. The coupe looks like it has the black headlight surrounds of the sport classic. Maybe just the light?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Cogito
Racer

Can anyone verify that the GTS Cab can he had with the center locking 19" Spyder wheels for sure? All pics I've seen show those wheels o-n-l-y on the GTS Coupe, I've not seen a Cab with them??
Thanks,
Don
Old 10-22-2010, 08:50 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito
Can anyone verify that the GTS Cab can he had with the center locking 19" Spyder wheels for sure? All pics I've seen show those wheels o-n-l-y on the GTS Coupe, I've not seen a Cab with them??
Thanks,
Don
The RS wheels are standard on both.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 PM
brt3
Instructor

I'm in line at Hennessy for GTS Number Two (gravedgr is Number One; no inappropriate jokes, please). Since we have a gentleman's agreement that any like-colored GTS must be driven out-of-state, I am driving the car from the Atlanta area back to California. Should be quite the break-in opportunity, IF the January weather cooperates.

Can anyone here suggest to me ideal places to stop for overnights, where the car will be more secure than the typical hotel along the interstate? I believe I can make it in one drive from Atlanta to Texas; I will be veering towards the southerly I-10 route so Austin might be a good place. The next stop could be in AZ; I'm thinking Phoenix.

I don't mind spending a little bit more for the hotel room if it allows me to sleep easier...

Thanks, in advance, for any advice. I will probably post this on the larger forum, but thought I'd ask for the advice of the GTS folks first -- since they already possess outstanding judgement and taste...

Last edited by brt3; 10-22-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

^ I do road trips all the time but I avoid interstates. In Jan the weather will not be on your side and you risk road hazard damage, especially on the interstate. I would ship the car with Intercity Lines or Reliable Carriers.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Btr3,

IH-10 does not go through Austin, Texas. However, it goes through San Antonio.

You could stay downtown at the Palacio Del Rio, I believe they have underground parking.

Or you could stay on the Northwest side of SA (IH-10 will take you right through the NW part of town) in the Wurtzbach Road area.

If you stay in the NW area and get there around dinner time, drive about 10 miles past Wurtzbach Road (going Northwest on IH-10) to Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs to get some very good Texas BBQ.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:21 PM
zanwar
Pro

Originally Posted by brt3
I'm in line at Hennessy for GTS Number Two (gravedgr is Number One; no inappropriate jokes, please). Since we have a gentleman's agreement that any like-colored GTS must be driven out-of-state, I am driving the car from the Atlanta area back to California. Should be quite the break-in opportunity, IF the January weather cooperates.

Can anyone here suggest to me ideal places to stop for overnights, where the car will be more secure than the typical hotel along the interstate? I believe I can make it in one drive from Atlanta to Texas; I will be veering towards the southerly I-10 route so Austin might be a good place. The next stop could be in AZ; I'm thinking Phoenix.

I don't mind spending a little bit more for the hotel room if it allows me to sleep easier...

Thanks, in advance, for any advice. I will probably post this on the larger forum, but thought I'd ask for the advice of the GTS folks first -- since they already possess outstanding judgement and taste...

The Four Seasons resort in Scottsdale is quite good. The parking is outdoors, but it's all secure and you're not required to valet, so you can find a good spot yourself.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:25 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Btr3 -- IH-10 does not go through Austin, Texas. However, it goes through San Antonio.
Sorry to not be more clear; Atlanta is far enough north that I would work my way diagonally down to I-10. The general areas of Austin and Phoenix are rough estimates based on breaking the trip down into manageable chunks, and also taking into account there are large stretches of areas where one might no want to stop...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by zanwar
The Four Seasons resort in Scottsdale is quite good. The parking is outdoors, but it's all secure and you're not required to valet, so you can find a good spot yourself.
Thanks for that. There seem to be LOTS of choices in that region, so it's helpful to have a recommendation. Pity to spend the cash for a high-end hotel, but the security/piece of mind is worth it. Still have to see if driving it makes sense, but I really love driving cross-country. I was planning on getting paint protection film installed, so if the weather is decent (no hail or snowy passes filled with sand/salt) then the car would make it OK.

BTW, my personal hero is the guy on this board who's put something like 45K on his 911 over an 18-month period...

Quick Reply: The new 911 Carrera GTS