Sponsored by:

The new 911 Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito
...does anyone think that demand for this vehicle will outstrip supply meaning one could possibly order a GTS (as I have) then offer it for sale immediately upon receipt and make a profit?
LOL...very wishful thinking.

Originally Posted by ADias
Every new P-car buyer signs a document pledging not to sell the vehicle within a certain amount of time - I forgot if it is 6-months or a year.
I've been around Porsches my whole adult life and have never heard of this. Nor do I see how Porsche can legally control subsequent transfers of ownership. Would love to see a copy.

Originally Posted by philooo
Quick question: Does the GTS sells at MSRP ? I mean that would be a tough one considering you can take out 10k out of pretty much any 997.2, no ?

No doubt the gts is a special car like the 996 40th anniversary but still ...
That's the whole point of Porsche 'special' models at the end of production runs...
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 AM
brt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone give me feedback on the optional steering wheel? Specifically, I'm thinking of the thicker wheel, which requires ordering the multi-function controls on the steering wheel. I have pretty large hands, so this is an option that sounds great -- but I've never tried it...
Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Are you getting PDK? The multi-function wheel does not have paddles, if that is important to you.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Are you getting PDK? The multi-function wheel does not have paddles, if that is important to you.
Are you sure about that? That's definitely a deal-killer for me; have a call into my salesman and I'm really hoping -- if you're right -- that they haven't locked down the order...

[EDIT] Just spoke with the salesman and he confirmed. I'm not sure why that wouldn't come up -- as the buttons seem to be the single biggest issue anyone has with PDK -- but he missed it and Porsche doesn't even suggest this on the Car Configurator.

Thanks for the heads-up; that would've been a major pimple on the nose of an otherwise gorgeous car...

As for the Porsche ordering process (and I realize this is a new "model" that isn't as well-documented as other versions of the 911) -- it feels a little like trying to pick a dime up from a smooth marble floor while wearing ski gloves covered with Vaseline...

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
r2b2007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my understanding that if you order the PDK the steering wheel will have paddles on the GTS.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM
r2b2007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche's seven-speed Porsche dual-clutch/paddle shifted PDK. Porsche says a the 2011 911 Carrera GTS Coupe with the manual gearbox can hit 190 mph, two up on a Carrera S. Fitted with the optional PDK shifter and Sport Chrono Package Plus it can streak to 60 mph in 4.0 seconds.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM
brt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by r2b2007
It is my understanding that if you order the PDK the steering wheel will have paddles on the GTS.
Here's how it breaks down, at least on the GTS. It's not the thicker steering wheel that kills the paddles; it's the fact that the only way to get that is to also order the Multi-Function steering wheel. This is according to one of the most experienced people at Hennessy Porsche.

Is this true of all 911 variants; is the multi-function wheel incompatible with the paddles?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brt3
Is this true of all 911 variants; is the multi-function wheel incompatible with the paddles?
Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Yes, the multi-function wheel is incompatible with the paddles.

The paddles come with the 'sport' steering wheel option on all other models; the GTS is the only Porsche model that has this wheel as standard equipment. I believe the 'sport' wheel is thicker than the 'normal' steering wheel that is standard on all other models, so when you order the 'thicker' steering wheel on a GTS, it is thicker compared to the optional multi-function wheel with PDK buttons.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM
brt3
Instructor

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Yes, the multi-function wheel is incompatible with the paddles.

The paddles come with the 'sport' steering wheel option on all other models; the GTS is the only Porsche model that has this wheel as standard equipment. I believe the 'sport' wheel is thicker than the 'normal' steering wheel that is standard on all other models, so when you order the 'thicker' steering wheel on a GTS, it is thicker compared to the optional multi-function wheel with PDK buttons.
Thanks for that; yours is the best photo I've seen of the wheel, and clearly shows the in-wheel displays...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
brt3
Instructor

Not a bad place from which to conduct "business". I had those pix from the intro, but your post jogged my memory. I don't care what anyone says about Alacantara; it sure looks gorgeous and I can't wait!
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Simon H
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Chaps,
Is the GTS going to be a limited model, or is it now part of the everyday line up, and readily available ?, regards, SIMON.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon H
Hi Chaps,
Is the GTS going to be a limited model, or is it now part of the everyday line up, and readily available ?, regards, SIMON.
Limited. No official numbers, but estimates for 500-800 US units have been thrown around. Seeing how few allocations there are out there, those look to be pretty good estimates.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 PM
brt3
Instructor

Hi Chaps,
My local dealer only received one allocation, for a Cab. He has no idea whether or not he'll receive another allocation, so even dealers are unsure about just how limited GTS production will be...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Is the GTS going to be a limited model, or is it now part of the everyday line up, and readily available ?
It is part of the everyday lineup for the rest of the 997 production run in 2011, not a limited model like the Speedster. However, like the Spyder, GT3, etc., that does not necessarily mean they will be making a lot of them.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

It is part of the everyday lineup for the rest of the 997 production run in 2011, not a limited model like the Speedster. However, like the Spyder, GT3, etc., that does not necessarily mean they will be making a lot of them.
Considering GTS allocation < dealer allocations, by definition, that makes it a limited model. You can't order as many as you want, you get as many as your given.

If by limited you mean "numbered", it will not be numbered.

Quick Reply: The new 911 Carrera GTS