End is Near: EPA versus Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
The absolute irony of the Global warming crowd is where
this year's conference was held, Copenhagen. The real funny thing was that Copenhagen was in the midst of one of its coldest winters on record. What is even funnier is that these guys have the audacity to state that Global Warming is directly responsible for the record low temperatures the planet is experiencing. Once again the overwhelming arrogance of the flat earth, no growth crowd is truly astounding.
I find it hilarious people point to record colds as evidence that global warming is false without realizing that the disastrous consequences of "global warming" is not that the whole planet will get 1 degree warmer, but that that extra solar energy is not evenly distributed- the ACTUAL consequences are a general ^#$#^cking up of global weather patterns that lead to record highs in one place, record cold in another, and more intense storms- it's only when global temperatures are carefully collected and analyzed that the overall global warming trend is seen.

When we see it snowstorms in Baghdad and Texas, that should be an indication of just how badly we've #^&#@$cked up our planet. FYI, one effect of higher temperatures is increased evaporation. This not only exacerbating droughts by evaporating what little water is left, but also increasing evaporation over water, which increases precipitation, including snow. Yes, I know it sounds like a contradiction, but those clouds do have a source, and more heat means more snow.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
... it's only when global temperatures are carefully collected and analyzed that the overall global warming trend is seen....
The keyword is 'carefully' as in carefully picking only the warmer spots and forgetting about the rest of the colder temp samples. Carefully indeed.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The keyword is 'carefully' as in carefully picking only the warmer spots and forgetting about the rest of the colder temp samples. Carefully indeed.
Great point!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sjfehr you are absolutely right.

Moron David Suzuki took great delight last week in pointing to the lack of snow at the Vancouver Olympics as "proof" of global warning. What a complete charlatan.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GHills

Moron David Suzuki took great delight last week in pointing to the lack of snow at the Vancouver Olympics as "proof" of global warning. What a complete charlatan.
Yeah I heard that, I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! I am like, ok, so if the Winter Olympics were held in NY, you would have said that global warming is NOT happening?!?!

That guy has never accomplished anything, his whole group has only bitched at people and government without having done anything or having any good ideas. His tour of the country last year in a Diesel bus with lots of entourage created enough carbon emissions as a car produces in a 5 years period!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GHills

One weather pattern, even a record-breaking one, is not proof of anything. Nobody that actually understands global warming would say rain in Vancouver or snow in Texas is "proof" of anything. David Suzuki, furthermore, has not not said such a thing. What he actually said was quite different:

"The David Suzuki Foundation says global warming and climate change are in part responsible for what's happening to a key Olympic venue."

Which is a true statement.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out a site called iceagenow.com...for every arguement one side makes..there is a counter arguement.
abe
Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could care less about global warming. If I did I would not own a car.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:01 PM
GHills
Instructor

Im perfectly fine with the brothers Suzuki and Gore spending their own money. What I object to is them spending MY money on their chicken littlery.

CO2 is to climate change as seat belts are to vehicle gas mileage.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a pretty well established prediction amoung astrophysicists that the Earth will probably die by freezing to death, as all of the CO2 will, over time, leak into space, which will cause us to eventually freeze to death.

Right before the Sun grows to consume us in its fire before going super-nova...

Now that will be an extreme temperature swing.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by roberga
I could care less about global warming. If I did I would not own a car.
yes, let's spend $100k on a sports car, learn all the intricacies of getting as much performance out of them, and then argue about global warming.

ahem
Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

I am looking forward to the weekend: we are taking the boat out and going for a run for no other reason than we want to. .75mpg with the twin 454's where do I send my carbon credit money? To Al Gore who put more in the air then all of us combined.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Although off topic. I like to see the differences of opinions around a group of people that share a common denominator, Porsche's. Very cool when you think of it.
We are witnessing the beginning efforts to try and shift consumer buying decisions back to North American soil. I suggest that the Auto industry is the easiest because it commands so much revenue and we have the plant/labour infrastructure to support more work on our soils. Other industries, soft goods, electronics and household appliances will be more difficult, due to wage costs difference's and environmental waste regulations, etc.
As we have witnessed there have been more and more examples of foreign built products coming under fire as being shabby and assembled under poor human rights, etc, etc. This, along with the current economic landscape, is going to slowly change the thought process of the consumer when they reach in their pockets.
We've always seen manufacturers label their products as, "built in the usa" but we've not yet seen a Retailer openly market that the products they sell are built in the USA. This will also begin to change, as our Kids are willing to spend more money for products that have this awareness.

The biggest challenge is to make the connection between cheaper products at the cash register and the loss of lower paying factory work to other countries.

As I said, great bunch of people on this forum and most with above average household incomes. How many of us spend the same % more on everyday household products, as the % that we paid above the average cost of a decent US built sportscar??? wow that was hard to say without spitting my latte on my toshiba.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Follow the money...

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2...limate-skeptic
Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
It works both ways. Follow the money also for the GW advocates - most financed by gov grants in an incestuous cycle. The issue is intellectual honesty, mostly out-the-window in this field.

Quick Reply: End is Near: EPA versus Porsche