Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End is Near: EPA versus Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

his brand is a symbol of "the rich", so there is no way there is going to be an exemption granted by people who demonize success and anyone viewed as a "high earner" in the private sector, which is who buys these cars.
+1000
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Gj325
Pro

his brand is a symbol of "the rich", so there is no way there is going to be an exemption granted by people who demonize success and anyone viewed as a "high earner" in the private sector, which is who buys these cars.
+1000
Old 02-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Gj325
Pro

+1000
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 930 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
No. The legislation prevents combining with VW since VW and Porsche were not together in 2009. Interesting - almost as if they were singled out.
They may have to exit the US market for one model year, and re-enter the following year under the umbrella of the VW parent company.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 930 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
No. The legislation prevents combining with VW since VW and Porsche were not together in 2009. Interesting - almost as if they were singled out.
Indeed, some articles I just pulled up confirm this - since Porsche was an independent company when the law went into effect, they can't average with VW.

Another strategy that some articles on this topic mention - VW imports unbadged Porsche cars to the US under their name, averages the MPG, sells those cars to PCNA. The dealer installs door sills and badges, and that VW 911 becomes a Porsche.

The Germans are apparently very angry over this, views it as protectionism for the now government controlled US auto industry (sans Ford) - and may retaliate against GM imports to the EU. Maybe that is some leverage they can use to get an exemption.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roberga:
Double thumbs up to your comment "just a thought. I will keep buying toys with the worst carbon footprint I can afford. Fun is the the main reason but if I **** off someone that is a bonus."

Mike in CA:
There must be a board you can frequent on saving whales, or finding the perfect birkenstocks or "David Suzuki is NOT a complete Asshat......Mommie!".

Please check one or more of them out.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

To those who consider the oil/gas cos the bad guys.... I challenge them to sell their Porsches.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GHills
Roberga:
Double thumbs up to your comment "just a thought. I will keep buying toys with the worst carbon footprint I can afford. Fun is the the main reason but if I **** off someone that is a bonus."

Mike in CA:
There must be a board you can frequent on saving whales, or finding the perfect birkenstocks or "David Suzuki is NOT a complete Asshat......Mommie!".

Wow, that's really clever, GHills. It's hard to have to read things you don't agree with, but then it is just part of being a grown up, isn't it?. FWIW, I love cars and Porsches and that's why I post here, but if I'm inciting you to post sophomoric insults, that is a bonus.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
Did not mean to sound like I was saying Obama. Should have been DC. Boy that is a dream

meaning all of congress and Sen. and of course President also. Hoping for more common sense from Washington period. Dont really care who it is. But that would be a dream. They (no party) Will ever listen to our needs. Only their needs.
Punctuation can be a bitch. Agree with you totally on the common sense (or lack of it) in DC.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
They may have to exit the US market for one model year, and re-enter the following year under the umbrella of the VW parent company.
Why such concern? Porsches already rate close to 29mpg highway, so they're already not that bad. The Porsche-badged Bluesport should help offset this considerably, as VW is expecting sales to trounce those of the higher dollar Porsches. The talk about replacing Boxster's H6 Boxer with a similar hp turbo-4 will help, too. (With mileage, at least.) The biggest hurdle will be the Cayenne, which is selling very large % and has just awful mileage compared to the rest of the product line.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Gj325
Pro

Why such concern? Porsches already rate close to 29mpg highway
I am willing to bet that if the rules are not lifted or changed and Porsche has to follow or pay the unjust fine. That they will find a way to make it happen. I am sure they are lobbying like its impossible. But after all we are talking about Porsche. They may have to make a model that the Pcar lovers hate but sometimes you have to go along to get along. Make a low cost entry level Boxster / Hybrid that would sell plenty with all of the green loving drivers. They may hate Porsche but they would flock to a green Porsche that cost 30k. The may hate our 911's but they wish they could be us but there High Level of self promoting the cause no matter who it hurts wont let them join us.What ever it takes to keep the thrill going
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this tells it all..
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GHills
Roberga:
Personally, I think that's a strange thing to derive satisfaction from, but to each his own, I guess.

Mike in CA:

Mike is stating his case in a polite manner and seems to be adding to the discussion and has even pointed out that the CAFE numbers everyone is arguing about aren't even the right ones, while you just seem to be adding noise. Nobody says you have to agree with him, but it would be nice if you could refrain from cheap shots, if nothing else.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 442 Posts

Great thread guys. I just want to give my perspective on this issue.

I've been dreaming of owning a 911 one day since I was 4. That was when I first saw this amazing 964 and asked my dad what it was. As I grew up I collected 911 models and I have Porsche posters all over my room. This dream was one of the things that motivated me to study hard in school. I've been on this forum for a long time but I usually don't post. I just graduated from college this past december and I start Med School in July.

Now the car world has been depressing me for quite some while. All manufacturers are downsizing engines. Adding forced induction. And more importantly, it seems that the manual transmission is going to become extinct. Now I have about 10 years of school and training left before I will start working. Then another 5 years or so after that to pay off loans and get a savings going and make sure my family is taken care of before I can start buying nice cars. But I'm sad because by the time I have enough money to buy the cars I dreamed about, they will all be extinct it seems. High-revving manual sports cars with amazing sound tracks. I'm not that interested PDK yet. It seems like the future is full of four-cylinders and hybrids and diesels.

Even Ferrari stated that they will be releasing a hybrid version of EVERY model car they make within 3 years.

15 years is far off, but It doesn't look like there is much to look forward to in the car world anymore. (not to mention significantly lower physician salaries, but that's a whole different subject.) But I can say that as of today, there are very few cars made currently that can get my blood boiling. And that's a shame.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

MASTER DEEP a shame it is, but I am sure you can get a great 911, 10/15 years from now. Perhaps new, perhaps pre-owned but in mint shape. There's another reason for the sane people in this world to stop the folly pushed down our throats by the eco nuts and the corrupt politicians.

Quick Reply: End is Near: EPA versus Porsche