Sponsored by:

End is Near: EPA versus Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 AM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike:
The warmist lobbyists are meeting right now in Bali to try to recover from all their leaks and gaffes of the last 6 months. The Bali mtg is a prelude to a conference in Cancun later this year.

The only clear trend I see in all this Chicken Littlery is that the warmist lobbyists seem to favor meetings in warm vacation locales.

Perhaps we'd get less hot air if they'd hold their powwows in normal places, you know like NYC (last I checked that's UN HQ) or Minnesota or gasp, horror the Arctic.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
All due respect, but that's false logic and assumes climate change couldn't be caused in different ways. The fact that climate change has occured naturally in the past in no way disproves the fact that human activity could also cause, hasten, or exacerbate climate change now.
Mike keep in mind that Mt. Pinatubo and Mt. St. Helens released more CO2 into the atmosphere than the last 100 years of the industrial age. CO2 gasses in the scheme of things is .036% of the worlds atmosphere. To put it in perspective if the earths atmosphere was spread out on a football field, CO2 gasses would be the thinkness of a pencil on the goal line. Once again the earth has been warming for the last 400 years, well before mankind entered into the industrial age.

If we can't accurately predict the weather over a 5 day span how on earth can these super computers predict the weather over the next decade or so?

I'm all for clean air and the enviroment, I just feel the enviromentalists have their own agenda.

BTW, there was a study done on the Toyota Prius and other Hybrids. The fact that the battery packs and associated hardware for the Hybrid is manafactured all over the world. To get these parts to where final assembly is located created such a huge carbon footprint that it actually gave the Prius a higher carbon footprint than shall we say a Ford Focus which is a PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) vehicle built here in North America.

I'm not trying to disrespect you, its just the fact that a lot of these scientists that are spouting this stuff totally disregard the other sides of this "science", hence we now have "climate gate".

Dave
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

What agenda do you attribute to the World's oil companies ?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
BTW, there was a study done on the Toyota Prius and other Hybrids. The fact that the battery packs and associated hardware for the Hybrid is manafactured all over the world. To get these parts to where final assembly is located created such a huge carbon footprint that it actually gave the Prius a higher carbon footprint than shall we say a Ford Focus which is a PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) vehicle built here in North America.

Dave
I think the Prius carbon footprint was actually more than a Range Rover V8!
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
What agenda do you attribute to the World's oil companies ?
Economic prosperity and the advancement of humankind, evidenced by many of today's conveniences and necessaries of life. Climate change on the other hand professes reduced emissions through economic regression and the loss of freedom.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly...the 997 is a ULEVII vehicle. The issue is the amount of fuel it is burning not so much the exhaust.
That's the problem with such one-dimensional analysis. In fact, I bet these cars burn far less fuel than most cars - simply because a car stored in a garage is not burning fuel.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GHills
Mike:
The warmist lobbyists are meeting right now in Bali to try to recover from all their leaks and gaffes of the last 6 months. The Bali mtg is a prelude to a conference in Cancun later this year.

The only clear trend I see in all this Chicken Littlery is that the warmist lobbyists seem to favor meetings in warm vacation locales.

Perhaps we'd get less hot air if they'd hold their powwows in normal places, you know like NYC (last I checked that's UN HQ) or Minnesota or gasp, horror the Arctic.
The absolute irony of the Global warming crowd is where
this year's conference was held, Copenhagen. The real funny thing was that Copenhagen was in the midst of one of its coldest winters on record. What is even funnier is that these guys have the audacity to state that Global Warming is directly responsible for the record low temperatures the planet is experiencing. Once again the overwhelming arrogance of the flat earth, no growth crowd is truly astounding.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike keep in mind that Mt. Pinatubo and Mt. St. Helens released more CO2 into the atmosphere than the last 100 years of the industrial age. CO2 gasses in the scheme of things is .036% of the worlds atmosphere. To put it in perspective if the earths atmosphere was spread out on a football field, CO2 gasses would be the thinkness of a pencil on the goal line. Once again the earth has been warming for the last 400 years, well before mankind entered into the industrial age.
Dave you might be interested in this link to a USGS web site. It talks about how yearly volcanic C02 release is barely 1% of human C02 activity.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html

If we can't accurately predict the weather over a 5 day span how on earth can these super computers predict the weather over the next decade or so?
Long term trends are often easier to spot than short term variations. Stock market is a good example.

I'm all for clean air and the enviroment, I just feel the enviromentalists have their own agenda.
And big corporate interests and their political allies don't? I find it amazing that people trying to preserve some of what we still have are so often portrayed as the bad guys and those willing to use up everything they can get their hands on for the sake of bigger profits are the heroes. A bit more balance please!

BTW, there was a study done on the Toyota Prius and other Hybrids. The fact that the battery packs and associated hardware for the Hybrid is manafactured all over the world.....Prius a higher carbon footprint than shall we say a Ford Focus which is a PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle) vehicle built here in North America.
Great argument for investing in green industries and technologies in this country so we're either making those batteries here or coming up with something better.

I'm not trying to disrespect you, its just the fact that a lot of these scientists that are spouting this stuff totally disregard the other sides of this "science", hence we now have "climate gate".
Dave, clearly we disagree on this, but we can do so respectfully. I don't feel disrespected. As to "climate gate" it is silly IMO to attempt to discredit all of the science around climate change because of some petty insider e-mails from a few British researchers. There are rivalries, competition, and backstabbing in every form of human endeavor and scientific research is no different. But the entire body of work on this subject can't be invalidated by a few people who used bad judgement.

I've spent enough time on this. I've got a harness bar to install in my apparently soon to be extinct internal combustion Porsche.

Mike
Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
Economic prosperity and the advancement of humankind, evidenced by many of today's conveniences and necessaries of life. Climate change on the other hand professes reduced emissions through economic regression and the loss of freedom.
I had no idea the oil companies were so altruistic and intent on improving the human condition. Climate change, BTW, is a symptom, it doesn't "profess" anything. There's no reason why a sensible transition to a greener economy has to result in economic regression or loss of freedom. Quite the opposite, it will very likely result in greater economic opportunities, new technologies, improved quality of life, and greater freedom due to less restricted resources.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
I think the Prius carbon footprint was actually more than a Range Rover V8!
DAYUMM!!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Dave you might be interested in this link to a USGS web site. It talks about how yearly volcanic C02 release is barely 1% of human C02 activity.
This doesn't take into account Mt. Pinatubo or Mt. Saint Helens. This study is solely based on active volcanoes that are continuing to spew HC's.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Great argument for investing in green industries and technologies in this country so we're either making those batteries here or coming up with something better.

I had no idea the oil companies were so altruistic and intent on improving the human condition. Climate change, BTW, is a symptom, it doesn't "profess" anything. There's no reason why a sensible transition to a greener economy has to result in economic regression or loss of freedom. Quite the opposite, it will very likely result in greater economic opportunities, new technologies, improved quality of life, and greater freedom due to less restricted resources.
I think there's not much argument that we need less depence on oil, and more so for IMPORTS of EVERYTHING we consume everyday... like everything that come from China, totally contributes to the green house effect!

The main issue is the alarmists and scare tactics and unsubstantiated global warming BS of all these environmentalists. It is just blown WAY OUT OF PROPORTION!

China just signed a 60 billion dollar contract with Australia to import coal to power all of its factories to create Lead painted toys for our kids! and China is going to be the biggest importer of Porsches next year, so who's telling them to stop?

We are falling behind most asian countries in a exponential way, and by slowing down our economy to satisfy some green peace folks is just suicide! There is absolutely NO URGENCY to lower the carbon emmission as aggressively as it's being proposed, while I agree we should strategically move to more green industries in a way that doesn't affect our daily lives or our industries significantly.

Long term trends are often easier to spot than short term variations. Stock market is a good example.
Bad example... I don't think 10 years ago people predicted our stock market would have the same value today it had 10 years ago!

Last edited by alexb76; 02-25-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Karl B
Advanced

Exactly, India and China are way behind on any type of greenhouse gas reduction and laugh at any mention at their compliance in the future. If the US produced NO ( as in zero) greenhouse gasses this year it would do nothing to the stem the problem because of the growth in production in China and India.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

The only thing I know for certain when it comes to manmade climate change is to be leery of those that claim to know for sure one way or the other.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This very thread is proof that we have nothing to worry about.

The sort of passion that is driving this thread cannot be satisfied with a Prius.

Environment or not, never underestimate human nature. Human nature drives brands and product development.

I don't see us turning into pus***s just because the earth is getting a couple degrees hoter. Then again, I did recently read an article stating that the polution that's created by excess use of plastics is rasing estrogen levels in humans.

So, who knows, maybe we will all be driving greenish-pink hybrids in a couple of hours???

-T

Quick Reply: End is Near: EPA versus Porsche