Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:20 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Awesome. Do you already have your PCCM+? I was wondering what the brown 4-pin receptacle on the back side of the PCCM+ was for, as none of the wires included look as though they would go there. Your hypothesis would seem to make sense. Please keep us posted.
That's exactly what I already said in my post #443, in the picture you can see
The Media Box of the 996 is connected exactly to this brown connection.
I'm just not sure if an aftermarket cable really works on this port. I don't think so.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:04 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
That's exactly what I already said in my post #443, in the picture you can see
The Media Box of the 996 is connected exactly to this brown connection.
I'm just not sure if an aftermarket cable really works on this port. I don't think so.
I’ll let you know once it arrives. If you have a look at the link I included, the plug is different to the ones previously suggested and is exactly the same as the one on the 996 box. Cheers.

Last edited by dph928; 01-05-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:00 AM
signde
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 156 Posts

This might be a dumb question, but how does Bose noise cancelling pertain to audio inside a car? I'm familiar with the noise cancelling headphones (I own a pair), where they induce a white noise to drown out loud, exterior noises. Is that the same principal for car audio? I thought that would be illegal: intentionally drowning out exterior sounds could be seen as a safety hazard. I thought the only feature that the Bose would possibly use a mic would be for Audiopilot, which increases the volume of the stereo as your speed increases. But even that I would think would get it's signal from the speedometer, not a microphone. Speaking of which, Audiopilot is one of the few features that is NOT retained with the new PCCM+ according to the FAQ. So I'm a little perplexed on how the Bose system would use a mic.
this isn't a bose specific thing or a 997 specific thing. noise cancelling is a very common feature in cars over the last 20 years and it's often implemented through the car's stereo. also active noise cancelling isn't white noise, it actually takes the exterior sound, then inverts it out of phase to cancel out the unwanted noise.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shoppin...lation-in-cars

typically in cars this is targeted at low frequency sounds like road noise so the larger woofers see a lot of duty in this role. this is why it's often difficult to add an aftermarket subwoofer to a car with active noise cancellation/reduction by tapping the factory subwoofer leads. not only do you end up amplifying the bass from music, you also end up amplifying the noise cancellation sounds which has a terrible result.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:19 AM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought the only feature that the Bose would possibly use a mic would be for Audiopilot, which increases the volume of the stereo as your speed increases. But even that I would think would get it's signal from the speedometer, not a microphone. Speaking of which, Audiopilot is one of the few features that is NOT retained with the new PCCM+ according to the FAQ. So I'm a little perplexed on how the Bose system would use a mic.
It uses the microphone to hear the ambient noise level, and adjusts volume and equalizer based on that. On PCM2.1, at least, it doesn't do active noise cancellation. I find it fairly useless, it just ruins the sound more than anything, and I usually have it turned off.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Any ideas on where to source this multi-adapter or what it even is/looks like? Is it a Porsche part or aftermarket? If I could run a single cable for signal, power, and ground, that would be fantastic.
im going to guess porsche.

otherwise it will be the ground + power you will have to get to the camera separately + the fakra->RCA adapter.

also one interesting thing to note if this PCM actually supports AHD cameras - or just the old ones. the AHD ones really make a huge difference in clarity
Old 01-05-2023, 04:16 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

has anyone confirmed if the nav-tv most hur adapter actually truely accept 4 analog front + rear channels ? From what I've read on rennlist - the rear 2 inputs dont even work.

Originally Posted by bhag meister
  • NAV-TV MOST-H.U.R. 997 $690 convert audio signal to the factory fiber optic system
Old 01-05-2023, 04:32 PM
PowerFlower
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
has anyone confirmed if the nav-tv most hur adapter actually truely accept 4 analog front + rear channels ? From what I've read on rennlist - the rear 2 inputs dont even work.
It doesn't. That's one of the cool things about the PCCM+, the included MOST adapter *does* actually accept 4 channels (with fader). It's part number P1036400, and if they'd actually sell it separately at the $165 price I've seen, that would put the MOST HUR out of business

Not sure how much fader matters to you, on my 957 CTT it definitely does, with passengers, but on my 987 RS60 I sort of go... fade between where and where now?
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 09:06 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 180 Posts

Got at my local dealer today when I walked in.....

The following 3 users liked this post by misterdega:
G.I.G. (01-06-2023), Hecklerstan (01-06-2023), myw (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 04:53 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
I believe it’s monitoring external noise levels. I can tell you for sure a Bose car (with telephony) has two mics and a none Bose car has a single mic for sure. The mics are different part numbers. How it processes the input I couldn’t tell you.

PS autopilot is retained on the 997 PCCM+ unit according to the manual.

I stand corrected. Thank you! I went back and re-read the FAQ and you are correct. Now I can't recall what and where I read there were one or two features that were not retained with the PCCM+, but nothing stood out as all that impactful.
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 05:56 PM
dph928
Instructor

I stand corrected. Thank you! I went back and re-read the FAQ and you are correct. Now I can't recall what and where I read there were one or two features that were not retained with the PCCM+, but nothing stood out as all that impactful.
Yeah looking forward to getting mine fitted. Just waiting on a couple of things now. I’ve bought a second hand frunk carpet so I can make a delete panel for the dvd nav and get some boot space back too. I think I’ve settled on putting the USB socket for the pccm in the middle rear cubby (if the brown socket works). Seems a better option to glove box.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:11 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by dph928
Yeah looking forward to getting mine fitted. Just waiting on a couple of things now. I’ve bought a second hand frunk carpet so I can make a delete panel for the dvd nav and get some boot space back too. I think I’ve settled on putting the USB socket for the pccm in the middle rear cubby (if the brown socket works). Seems a better option to glove box.
Awesome. Thanks for all of the tips, and please keep us posted. I was considering removing the DVD nav in the Frunk as well, once I confirm everything works with my new setup.

I'll be curious to hear about the brown plug and a rear USB option. If you're correct and that plug does work, I will order one as well and also route it to either the cubby below the HVAC controls in front of the shifter, or the center console compartment. I'll also be curious if it does work for you, if it will charge your phone as well.

I'm committed to giving the backup camera a shot. I called a local Car Toys, and they don't carry Fakra to RCA adapters, so I'll order one from Amazon and hope to get it in a few days. I'm still researching backup cameras and will order one of those too. I think I can test the camera capability by plugging the camera into the back of the PCCM+ before I install it, run the power to an extra 12V RV battery I have, and run the ground to the door latch or another suitable ground. After that, I can turn on the ignition, wait for the PCCM+ to boot up, then place the power lead from the backup cam on the positive terminal of my RV battery, and keep me fingers crossed that it will work.

You know who would probably be able to answer all of our questions to eliminate the guess work? Porsche
Old 01-06-2023, 07:22 PM
dph928
Instructor

Awesome. Thanks for all of the tips, and please keep us posted. I was considering removing the DVD nav in the Frunk as well, once I confirm everything works with my new setup.

I'll be curious to hear about the brown plug and a rear USB option. If you're correct and that plug does work, I will order one as well and also route it to either the cubby below the HVAC controls in front of the shifter, or the center console compartment. I'll also be curious if it does work for you, if it will charge your phone as well.

I'm committed to giving the backup camera a shot. I called a local Car Toys, and they don't carry Fakra to RCA adapters, so I'll order one from Amazon and hope to get it in a few days. I'm still researching backup cameras and will order one of those too. I think I can test the camera capability by plugging the camera into the back of the PCCM+ before I install it, run the power to an extra 12V RV battery I have, and run the ground to the door latch or another suitable ground. After that, I can turn on the ignition, wait for the PCCM+ to boot up, then place the power lead from the backup cam on the positive terminal of my RV battery, and keep me fingers crossed that it will work.

You know who would probably be able to answer all of our questions to eliminate the guess work? Porsche
I’m trying to ignore the reverse cam because before I know it I’ll have one of those on the way too :-).

I’ll make some pics of my the key bits and share. I’m planning to use the clips the 928 uses for the door panels (the inserts by the door handles) to hook my delete panel in the dvd nav slots the original unit clips into. I’ll then add a rectangular plastic (bit like a rivnut) thing in the lower rectangular hole to screw it firmly in place once slotted in. Should look neat enough with matching material glued on hopefully. The second hand funk carpet was only £20 and I bought a 5mm perspex carpet to fix it to (I expect to need to steam the carpet around this and glue it).
Old 01-06-2023, 10:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
It doesn't. That's one of the cool things about the PCCM+, the included MOST adapter *does* actually accept 4 channels (with fader). It's part number P1036400, and if they'd actually sell it separately at the $165 price I've seen, that would put the MOST HUR out of business

Not sure how much fader matters to you, on my 957 CTT it definitely does, with passengers, but on my 987 RS60 I sort of go... fade between where and where now?
thanks for the part number, but unfortunately based on the photos - the porsche 4 channel most adapter doesnt take analog rca audio inputs - only the direct harness output from the rear android pccm 997+ harness.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:41 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Default Mic Install

I installed the PCCM+ mic tonight but took a somewhat unorthodox approach. Instead on mounting it on top of the steering wheel cowl with the double sided tape as intended, I removed the steering wheel cowl and mounted it on the underside of the cowl in the second perforated hole opposite of the one where the factory mic is located (so the PCCM+ mic is closest to the center of the car).

First, I removed the single, small phillips head screw connecting the base of the PCCM+ mic housing and the top cover. I set the top cover aside, but took the thin black material from it. I test fitted it in my car to get an idea of where the mic would sit. Then I cut two, thin strips of electrical tape and wrapped the black material in place on the mic housing.

Someone had already posted this video earlier in this thread, but here it is again for a reference. I couldn't figure out how to get the top cowl out of my car without fiddling around quite a bit, so I left it in the car with the factory mic attached. Since I left it in the car, I just needed to remove the two, T-10 Torx screws from the bottom and hinge the top portion up far enough to work.

When I was ready to install the mic, I took a long zip tie and taped the connector end of the mic cable to it and ran it from the steering column area to the PCM cavity. It's a pretty short run so that was easy. Then I cut two small pieces of 3M VHB double sided tape, and placed one side on the two areas with the electrical tape on the previous picture, then pressed the mic housing firmly in place. It feels pretty snug in there, and that VHB tape has pretty strong adhesive, so I'm hoping it works well. The good thing with that mic location is that if that tape were to give out, I could easily get back in there and either re-tape it or come up with a better solution. Either way, it only added about 30 minutes to this project and makes for a cleaner looking install.

I'm going to mount the GPS puck tomorrow, then install the PCCM+ to test it before I experiment with the backup camera (I still need the Fakra RCA adaptor cable and backup cam for that) and test all of the other functions, along with making a test phone call to ensure the mic location will work out.
The following 4 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
Bavarian 997 (01-07-2023), Houndstooth (07-30-2023), irnnr (01-08-2023), myw (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 03:03 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts

Nice job on the mic. Impressive!!!!

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request