Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023 | 04:28 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brudomen
Hopefully someone can assist here...
I had successfully installed the PCCM+ in my 06 997.1
Yesterday I removed it to relocate the Sirius antenna under the cowl, because on the PCCM+ shelf, the reception was poor.
I also removed the old Sirius unit in the frunk, that had been installed by the PO
When I put everything back together, I couldn't plug the PCCM+ big red female connector to the matching black vehicle connector
When I had installed in initially, it went together fine.
I fussed around with it and finally pushed the crap out of it and it went together
Strangely now when I take the key out of the ignition, the dash does not turn off and the PCCM+ does not turn off.
They used to turn off before yesterday
When I lock the car, the dash shuts off, but the PCCM+ stays on until I long press the volume ****
Anyone know what the heck is going on???
Thanks in advance
Bennett

update: looks like there is a 4 minute timeout for the dash but not for the PCCM+. I have to manually turn if the PCCM+

Also, the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel no longer work, and it is checked off in the configuration
Re seat the canbus connector.. yellow green plugs

and maybe redo setup
Old 04-28-2023 | 02:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Couple of questions for everyone or @jgoga. Opening the unit for the swap to the rear CarPlay usb.

I originally took off two screws which were incorrect. Can someone confirm if they have this much of a gap at the bottom of the PCCM+ screen? Or did I mis-align something when screwing things back together?

Second, is the screw to remove the top center one? Seems like it has some force required to get it in, so I don’t want to strip it.

For anyone wondering, the screws normally found in the top brackets are what I removed which separate the faceplate from the unit.

Old 04-28-2023 | 02:40 PM
vudores
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Couple of questions for everyone or @jgoga. Opening the unit for the swap to the rear CarPlay usb.

I originally took off two screws which were incorrect. Can someone confirm if they have this much of a gap at the bottom of the PCCM+ screen? Or did I mis-align something when screwing things back together?

Second, is the screw to remove the top center one? Seems like it has some force required to get it in, so I don’t want to strip it.

For anyone wondering, the screws normally found in the top brackets are what I removed which separate the faceplate from the unit.

Based on a prior post, I think it’s just one screw and it may be beneath that little sticker barely visible in the bottom left of the pic you posted. That way they can tell if it’s been opened / warranty voided.
Old 04-28-2023 | 02:54 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Here's what mine looks like:

The ONLY screw you take off is this one then you take off that top plate to have access to the cable:

NOTE: If you do NOT have a good screwdriver that fits perfectly, YOU will strip the screw. I would highly recommend going out and purchase the correct size screwdriver so you do not strip the screw. Also, if you have the frame installed already, you will need to remove the frame as well.
John

Last edited by jgoga; 04-28-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2023 | 03:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jgoga
Here's what mine looks like:

The ONLY screw you take off is this one then you take off that top plate to have access to the cable:

NOTE: If you do NOT have a good screwdriver that fits perfectly, YOU will strip the screw. I would highly recommend going out and purchase the correct size screwdriver so you do not strip the screw. Also, if you have the frame installed already, you will need to remove the frame as well.
John
Thanks John! Got it and put your cable in place. My screwdriver luckily fit well, just was in there super tight.

My only fear at this point is that I created that larger gap by trying to remove the screen (accidentally) so if anyone else has photos of what theirs looks like, definitely post them. It seems to have a bit of flex in it at the bottom. I won't know if the screen works or not until I install it either this weekend or next but hopefully nothing happened. There's a black connect that connects the circuit board with the screen at the bottom that doesn't seem to have a lot of flexibility in it.

Last edited by Bxstr; 04-28-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2023 | 04:04 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Thanks John! Got it and put your cable in place. My screwdriver luckily fit well, just was in there super tight.

My only fear at this point is that I created that larger gap by trying to remove the screen (accidentally) so if anyone else has photos of what theirs looks like, definitely post them. It seems to have a bit of flex in it at the bottom. I won't know if the screen works or not until I install it either this weekend or next but hopefully nothing happened. There's a black connect that connects the circuit board with the screen at the bottom that doesn't seem to have a lot of flexibility in it.
mine

Old 04-28-2023 | 04:19 PM
LucV
Instructor

Just finished installing mine!

Took me about 4 hours total, including fitting a USB cable in the glove box. Would've taken me 45 minutes less if I hadn't had issues removing the old unit. The plastic Allen nuts fell off so it was a PITA to take out.

The cable I got from @jgoga worked like a charm!

I also found these more detailed instructions to remove the radio and the glove box. I wish I would've watched it before removing the radio! 😅

Last edited by LucV; 04-28-2023 at 04:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jgoga (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023 | 06:01 PM
jfort
Pro

Default PCCM+ install

Just had mine installed by friend/mechanic. No radio reception so far. Any ideas? The Apple CarPlay works great. Music on a USB thumb drive didn’t work. I reformatted the drive to FAT32 and it now works. The nav chip received from dealer isn’t the right one. It is on a SD card and dated 2/2021. It is for the 996 version. The slot on the head unit looks like it is for a microSD card. Just bought one. Will try copying one on to the other.
Old 04-28-2023 | 06:12 PM
medicus
Advanced

The video cable for the reverse camera, is it easier to guide it behind the glove box or underneath the steering wheel to the PCCM?

Last edited by medicus; 04-28-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2023 | 06:15 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfort
Just had mine installed by friend/mechanic. No radio reception so far. Any ideas? The Apple CarPlay works great. Music on a USB thumb drive didn’t work. I reformatted the drive to FAT32 and it now works. The nav chip received from dealer isn’t the right one. It is on a SD card and dated 2/2021. It is for the 996 version. The slot on the head unit looks like it is for a microSD card. Just bought one. Will try copying one on to the other.
On the FM reception, it's likely the FM bypass wasn't correctly hooked up under the carpeting--see the DIY guide.

On the nav SD card, if you look closely there should be a micro SD card within the full size SD card that you can pull out and then use.
Old 04-28-2023 | 06:20 PM
Summerjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by jfort
before you get crucified for your post go read the admin sticky pccm+ DIY Guide
Old 04-28-2023 | 07:07 PM
brudomen
Intermediate

makes sense. I’m out of town but will do this when I get back
thanks!!!

Originally Posted by svandamme
Re seat the canbus connector.. yellow green plugs

and maybe redo setup
Old 04-28-2023 | 08:06 PM
zoomyracecar
Advanced

Well, now I'm at a decision point.

2008 targa4S, Bose system. Didn't come with the PCCM. PO has installed an AVIC head unit. I don't love it, but it's not terrible. Purchased a PCCM+ to replace it, sitting new-in-box in my closet. Have John's awesome cable (nice work, btw, John...) to swap CarPlay USB to rear.

Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX

Here's the fun: just took the car out of storage, and having read another thread and fearing the worst, I popped the frunk and pulled off the cover that usually sits over the factory BOSE amp. I say usually, since the amp was missing, and the loom had been cut in several places. Looks like a hairy meatball. What scares me is that if the PO's installer made a mess like that removing the amp, I'm kind of terrified to see what's behind the head unit - meaning, this is no plug n play install.

So.... part of me wants to pull the ripcord and say f... it, live with what's in there... rather than get half way down this road (after sourcing a BOSE amp, trying to undo the hack job on the loom, pulling the HE and finding g*d knows what) and then having to call for help at $175-$250/hr.... I'm not a shrinking violet in terms of wiring (ex-Motorola Labs) but I haven't ever soldered anything inside of anything else like this.... so I'm apprehensive.

I don't know what I'm asking for - I know I'll get told to bite the bullet and get to work.... I don't know I have the stones for this.

Thoughts? (Zips up flame suit)

Western burbs of Chicago,
-Zoomy.
The following users liked this post:
imthedecidah (06-04-2023)
Old 04-28-2023 | 08:27 PM
Summerjack
Advanced

I would not do it
Old 04-28-2023 | 11:14 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

TBH, I am just waiting for my shop to do some more 997s before I have him do it. If he isn't into it, I will bite the bullet and go to the dealer. I am the same with the DSC. I want it but I don't want to mess with wiring. I have past regrets with a B13 SE-R stupid secondary tach install (in 94, lol) but I did a total rewiring of a 50 chevy (back in 2000). Still, IDK.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request