Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 10:03 AM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfleahy
Is there anyone with an updated, WORKING SD map card who would be willing to check their disk directory for folders and dates? Because Porsche chose not to update part numbers, maybe the only way to tell bad cards from good ones is by file dates. I suspect that my replacement card was just another bad one.

If I look at the virgin SD card (before putting it into the car) I have the following 3 folders and 1 txt file:

FOLDER: iGO 8/11/2022 11:27 AM
FOLDER: Manuals 8/11/2022 11:39 AM
FOLDER: System Volume Information 8/11/2022 10:29 AM
FILE: devinfo.txt 3/4/2013 6:34 AM

After putting the SD card in the car, some "extra" folders showed up, some with strange names and some curious dates.

FOLDER: Android 12/31/1979 11:00 PM
FOLDER: iGO 4/7/2023 3:01 PM
FOLDER: LOST.DIR 12/31/1979 11:00 PM
FOLDER: Manuals 8/11/2022 11:39 AM
FOLDER: System Volume Information 8/11/2022 10:29 AM
FILE: devinfo.txt 3/4/2013 6:34 AM

I can understand the Android folder showing up as the PCCM+ integrates the map information into the system, but the 1979 dates look like some programmers trick to keep track of something. The LOST.DIR folder, which contains a single file of 32 KB of nulls, looks more problematic.

Since the new card is still defective for anything past New York, the next steps for me will be (1) call Porsche Classic Customer Service and add my troubles to the open case I have. (2) Try the (almost) local Porsche Classic dealer to see if they have any real (from Porsche) information on fixing this. (3) If nothing works, I will probably ask for a refund from the dealer who sold me the SD card, and then wait until the smoke clears and a reliable fix shows up.
Can anyone help here? Does anyone have a working map SD card who would be willing to check file dates?
Old 04-19-2023, 07:17 PM
PLPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if this was discovered yet or not.

For those with the Premium sound system (non-Bose and non base - I think it’s called premium sound system, right?)… when you disconnect the MOST adapter the speakers function properly. With it connected, the speakers were never really all there. Now, I think they are too loud, but the sound is actually fully there, whereas with the MOST connected it’s as if many frequencies were just non-existent. Also volume with the MOST adapter is a problem so I’m now worried about blowing speakers and my eardrums but it sounds better than before.

I figured this out because I was forced to connect the external microphone. My internal no longer works after several “factory resets”. Also went into the developer mic volume menu and it won’t let me adjust the UPLINK internal microphone volume to anything other than 6. I was able to adjust all other numbers. This is regardless of whether or not the MOST adapter is connected. Anybody else having issues like this with the internal microphone? I’d much prefer to go back to that and adjust volume like in the sticky.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:06 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PLPorsche
Not sure if this was discovered yet or not.

For those with the Premium sound system (non-Bose and non base - I think it’s called premium sound system, right?)… when you disconnect the MOST adapter the speakers function properly. With it connected, the speakers were never really all there. Now, I think they are too loud, but the sound is actually fully there, whereas with the MOST connected it’s as if many frequencies were just non-existent. Also volume with the MOST adapter is a problem so I’m now worried about blowing speakers and my eardrums but it sounds better than before.

I figured this out because I was forced to connect the external microphone. My internal no longer works after several “factory resets”. Also went into the developer mic volume menu and it won’t let me adjust the UPLINK internal microphone volume to anything other than 6. I was able to adjust all other numbers. This is regardless of whether or not the MOST adapter is connected. Anybody else having issues like this with the internal microphone? I’d much prefer to go back to that and adjust volume like in the sticky.

so you have ASK
and had PCM2.1 ??

And you get a better sound, more active speakers , if you simply disconnect the MOST from PCCM+??

Do you have the ASK most amplifier in the trunk??
behind the tire pump and toolkit?
because normally speakers are wired there

Last edited by svandamme; 04-20-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:29 PM
PLPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svandamme
so you have ASK
and had PCM2.1 ??

And you get a better sound, more active speakers , if you simply disconnect the MOST from PCCM+??

Do you have the ASK most amplifier in the trunk??
behind the tire pump and toolkit?
because normally speakers are wired there
Yes, It’s the one with an amplifier in the frunk but not Bose if that clears it up. I’m pretty sure the car came with CDR but when I bought it the PCM 2.1 was installed. No phone or CD changer module so I think prior owner just bought a used unit and swapped it.

I double checked all the pins and they looked good. The only thing I could determine that changed the sounds was disconnecting the MOST. My speakers were great before the install and I was very disappointed when I installed the PCCM initially.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:53 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Yes, It’s the one with an amplifier in the frunk but not Bose if that clears it up. I’m pretty sure the car came with CDR but when I bought it the PCM 2.1 was installed. No phone or CD changer module so I think prior owner just bought a used unit and swapped it.

I double checked all the pins and they looked good. The only thing I could determine that changed the sounds was disconnecting the MOST. My speakers were great before the install and I was very disappointed when I installed the PCCM initially.

your car is non standard, and it IF came with CDR, it would not have the wiring loom for speakers, routed to the frunk

So when the PO tried to upgrade it to PCM/ASK.. he didn't manage to do it.

To "upgrade a CDR to a PCM with ASK, would require rewiring the entire car speaker system.. to the frunk.., and I don't see anybody doing that makes no sense.
That why you have nothing on MOST, because your PCM at best finds the ASK amp, but there are no speakers wired to it.. at worst, it does not even detect anything on the MOST loop.. if at all the most loop is working and if at all the ASK amp has power .

So they probably just stuck the PCM in there and hooked it up to the existing CDR wiring loom, eg standard speakers without using the ASK amp

And so you have to use those analog wires...

You can probably sell off the most adapter, maybe even the ASK amp (untested)..

Not sure why they bothered installing the PCM to be honest.. without the navi DVD player, the navigation would not work
and without the ASK wiring.. the ASK did not improve the audio quality either..

Basically the PCM only did what the CDR did.. with a bigger screen, that's all it did.

IF you ask me , when this PO sold his car to the next buyer.. the PCM, was a bit fraudulent.. because it was not a properly installed/working PCM at all.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:51 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 138 Posts

your car is non standard, and it IF came with CDR, it would not have the wiring loom for speakers, routed to the frunk

So when the PO tried to upgrade it to PCM/ASK.. he didn't manage to do it.

To "upgrade a CDR to a PCM with ASK, would require rewiring the entire car speaker system.. to the frunk.., and I don't see anybody doing that makes no sense.
That why you have nothing on MOST, because your PCM at best finds the ASK amp, but there are no speakers wired to it.. at worst, it does not even detect anything on the MOST loop.. if at all the most loop is working and if at all the ASK amp has power .

So they probably just stuck the PCM in there and hooked it up to the existing CDR wiring loom, eg standard speakers without using the ASK amp

And so you have to use those analog wires...

You can probably sell off the most adapter, maybe even the ASK amp (untested)..

Not sure why they bothered installing the PCM to be honest.. without the navi DVD player, the navigation would not work
and without the ASK wiring.. the ASK did not improve the audio quality either..

Basically the PCM only did what the CDR did.. with a bigger screen, that's all it did.

IF you ask me , when this PO sold his car to the next buyer.. the PCM, was a bit fraudulent.. because it was not a properly installed/working PCM at all.

Really just depends which model he has, I guess. I have a GT3 but mine did come with CDR24 and the ASK amp as a part of the sound package plus. Not sure whether that was available on Carreras.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it would be a lot of work to add the ASK amp (including associated trim pieces), wiring and additional speakers after the fact. It's also possible your ASK amp is going bad (as these tend to do) or you have a bad converter box.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:22 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vocan
Really just depends which model he has, I guess. I have a GT3 but mine did come with CDR24 and the ASK amp as a part of the sound package plus. Not sure whether that was available on Carreras.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it would be a lot of work to add the ASK amp (including associated trim pieces), wiring and additional speakers after the fact. It's also possible your ASK amp is going bad (as these tend to do) or you have a bad converter box.

if he had a working ask at some point.. the speakers would be wired in the frunk. To the amp.

Clearly not the case for him. Sincr he has working speakers with most disconnected from pccm.

That means the speakers are wired to the din connectors in the center console.. not in the frunk
Old 04-20-2023, 06:31 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone know what kind of files the USB plays? It doesn't seem to play M4A files. Does it play only MP3 files?

Thank you,

John
Old 04-21-2023, 06:31 AM
VladD
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgoga
Does anyone know what kind of files the USB plays? It doesn't seem to play M4A files. Does it play only MP3 files?

Thank you,

John
According to the manual I downloaded.....

".mp2, .mp3, .wav, .wma, .ogg, .flac, .ape"
Old 04-21-2023, 09:54 AM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VladD
According to the manual I downloaded.....

".mp2, .mp3, .wav, .wma, .ogg, .flac, .ape"
Thank you so much.

John
The following users liked this post:
VladD (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 01:53 PM
PLPorsche
Rennlist Member

if he had a working ask at some point.. the speakers would be wired in the frunk. To the amp.

Clearly not the case for him. Sincr he has working speakers with most disconnected from pccm.

That means the speakers are wired to the din connectors in the center console.. not in the frunk
I do have the silver amp in the frunk. The wiring is a flat black plastic piece that splits into 4 separate connectors from what I remember. Wish I had taken a picture, but I don't have time to go in there and undo everything again. All I can say for certain is that there was a substantial difference in sound. I tested to ensure the pins and harnesses were all securely attached and the only difference was when I disconnected or connected the MOST adapter and restarted the PCCM and reset to factory settings. So you think I'm completely bypassing the amp in the frunk and speakers are only powered by the PCCM now?
Old 04-22-2023, 04:57 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

I do have the silver amp in the frunk. The wiring is a flat black plastic piece that splits into 4 separate connectors from what I remember. Wish I had taken a picture, but I don't have time to go in there and undo everything again. All I can say for certain is that there was a substantial difference in sound. I tested to ensure the pins and harnesses were all securely attached and the only difference was when I disconnected or connected the MOST adapter and restarted the PCCM and reset to factory settings. So you think I'm completely bypassing the amp in the frunk and speakers are only powered by the PCCM now?
I don't see any other way, because why would you have an ASK amp , and still have audio when you disconnect MOST, which is the way the ASK amp was supposed to connect to the PCM2.1

I cannot imagine that Porsche wired the loom double in every car, eg, that the basic speaker set was wired to both ASK and CDR24 location?
I suppose technically, It would be possible. But it just seems very unusual that you would wire speakers to 2 amps at the same time, risk of blow out if something goes wrong with the "detection" of the ASK and somehow both speakers power at the same time.

I really don't believe any sane hifi/Car electricity designer would do such a thing..
IF that IS the case, then it would mean your ASK amp is somehow fried on just the basic speakers.. that to me sounds unlikely as well

anybody has ASK and PCCM+, and is in the process of installing, should be quick test to see if he has any audio at all before installing the MOST adapter.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:30 PM
997TC
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealership is installing the PCCM this week (warranty repair). Does anyone have the exact screen size dimensions? My car is a turbo cab and I'd like to put a matte screen protector on it to reduce the glare. Also, is it safe to remove the Nav DVD player in the frunk after installation is done? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:42 PM
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TC
Dealership is installing the PCCM this week (warranty repair). Does anyone have the exact screen size dimensions? My car is a turbo cab and I'd like to put a matte screen protector on it to reduce the glare. Also, is it safe to remove the Nav DVD player in the frunk after installation is done? Thanks in advance.
hey you won’t need if they don’t take off the plastic screen protector it comes with. I’ve had mine installed for a couple months now and it’s been just fine keeping it on and definitely reduces the glare. If you don’t like it you can keep it on until you find a suitable replacement! Plus it doesn’t retain fingerprints as bad as not having one.
The following users liked this post:
997TC (05-13-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 01:28 AM
997TC
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06997.1
hey you won’t need if they don’t take off the plastic screen protector it comes with. I’ve had mine installed for a couple months now and it’s been just fine keeping it on and definitely reduces the glare. If you don’t like it you can keep it on until you find a suitable replacement! Plus it doesn’t retain fingerprints as bad as not having one.
I'm not sure if the dealership will take it off. I'll ask them if they can keep it on. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request