Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Antp997
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattDevoCustoms
There is a boot logo and then a boot animation.

There is no universal way to change them (without rooting). How to change them, assuming it's possible, depends on the hardware/software on your particular unit. It can easily be done on the FYT-platform UIS7862 units which I recommend/use/sell, by hijacking the built-in updater utility. On the qualcomm units? No idea.

yeah I’d like to change both so it feels more factory! I do have a Qualcomm unit.

Annoying thing is I can find the photos in the system to change it to I just want to add some .bmp images to that folder so I can choose my own! But there’s no way of uploading them.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:53 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Antp997
yeah I’d like to change both so it feels more factory! I do have a Qualcomm unit.

Annoying thing is I can find the photos in the system to change it to I just want to add some .bmp images to that folder so I can choose my own! But there’s no way of uploading them.
???

you put the images on a USB stick and connect it via one of the available USB ports.
or you upload them to cloud storage and access that from the device.
or email to yourself

lots of ways
The following users liked this post:
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:15 PM
Antp997
7th Gear

myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-04-2023, 02:24 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

that looks very similar to other boot logo selection screens I've seen. You put the logo you want to use in the root of the USB stick, atttach it, then click the magnifying glass icon to search/select the logo.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:00 PM
Antp997
7th Gear

that looks very similar to other boot logo selection screens I've seen. You put the logo you want to use in the root of the USB stick, atttach it, then click the magnifying glass icon to search/select the logo.
tried that, when I touch the magnifying glass nothing shows up
Old 10-04-2023, 05:32 PM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

tried that, when I touch the magnifying glass nothing shows up
then that means either the USB isn't fat32-formatted, the logo files aren't in a format the HU can accept, or it's looking for the files in a specific subfolder on the USB (possibly 'oem')
myw (03-22-2024)
Old 10-05-2023, 08:49 AM
Antp997
7th Gear

then that means either the USB isn't fat32-formatted, the logo files aren't in a format the HU can accept, or it's looking for the files in a specific subfolder on the USB (possibly 'oem')
tried all of those things and no luck! Shame it’s the one thing that is an issue other than that it’s great.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:04 AM
MattDevoCustoms
Advanced

tried all of those things and no luck! Shame it’s the one thing that is an issue other than that it’s great.
have you tried reaching out to the seller from whom you purchased the device?
Old 10-06-2023, 09:12 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by gifugifu
So I installed an android unit today. Could not get a shop to do it for me because the car (987.2 cayman s) did not have the standard wiring harness for the stock headunit (a clarion NAV HU). I ordered a harness kit and went about installing it myself. Everything went well or so I thought. Had some issues with the amp and so I ended up taking a lot longer than I thought I would. Also left the door open because it was too hot otherwise. Needless to say, I left it powered for too long with out starting the engine. Suddenly when I tunred on the headlights before starting the car up, I got a ton of error codes (PSM failure, ABS failure, Auto leveling light failure, cornering lights failure, forget the last one, etc., five in total). The care also will not start. It clicks repeatedly and more aggressively the long I keep the key turned, but nothing like an engine turning over sound. I disconnected the android HU and just left it without a head unit, but nothing changed error or starting wise.

Anyone else experience this?

Did I drain the battery to low and need a jump? Would that trigger the errors though? Everything seems to power up fine. Did I blow a fuse perhaps? Hopefully nothing worse than that.

Help please!
Sounds like you drained the battery. Most of those errors should go away when you drive the car for about 20 minutes. This irritating thing usually happens when the battery is disconnected. If they don't go away, you may have to code them out - anyone with a basic coder like iCarsoft etc can do this for you. I'd suggest driving for 20 minutes before you do anything else, as my exp[rience has been they just reset themselves. You may have to reset the windows manually - power the window right down, release and then press the button again, then power the window all the way up, release and press again.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:18 PM
clearwaterms
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these for my 2005 997 /w Bose. Based on the amazing work that @MattDevoCustoms has done I was going to go with the heregoes unit. I have a few questions I'm hoping everybody can help me with before I pull the trigger.

1. Is this the unit that everybody recommends if you want to take advantage of MattDevo's image/firmware? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804900229496.html (I'm specifically looking at the one that says 7862 /w 8G ram and 128GB ROM for $421.xx US)
2. is this the correct Fakra adapter?
Amazon Amazon
3. which cameras do folks recommend for front and rear camera?
4. Is there anything else besides the Fakra adapter and cameras that are needed to complete the install?
5. which OBD-II adapter to take advantage of the android's ability to do OBD II?

thank you to everybody in advance.

Last edited by clearwaterms; 10-09-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:24 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Possibly stupid question. I’ve got the OwTosin PX6. I had an issue today where it hung and wouldn’t turn off/sleep. Like I had the car off and locked and it was still on. All it needed was a simple reboot to resolve the issue but for the life of me I couldn’t find anywhere in the settings to perform such a simple operation.
I had to disconnect the battery to shut it off. After that it came on and works fine.
So, does anyone know how I can reboot this thing when necessary without disconnecting the battery?
Old 10-10-2023, 02:10 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scadams
Possibly stupid question. I’ve got the OwTosin PX6. I had an issue today where it hung and wouldn’t turn off/sleep. Like I had the car off and locked and it was still on. All it needed was a simple reboot to resolve the issue but for the life of me I couldn’t find anywhere in the settings to perform such a simple operation.
I had to disconnect the battery to shut it off. After that it came on and works fine.
So, does anyone know how I can reboot this thing when necessary without disconnecting the battery?
I am not familiar with the head unit, so can't answer the question about the settings. In my (different unit) I pull down from the top of the screen (as if opening notifications ion a phone) and the reboot/restart icon is there). Just to say that an easier way to reboot it, instead of disconnecting the battery, which can cause other issues, would be to temporarily pull and reinsert the PCM fuse.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:01 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedZed
I am not familiar with the head unit, so can't answer the question about the settings. In my (different unit) I pull down from the top of the screen (as if opening notifications ion a phone) and the reboot/restart icon is there). Just to say that an easier way to reboot it, instead of disconnecting the battery, which can cause other issues, would be to temporarily pull and reinsert the PCM fuse.
Unfortunately mine has no such icon.
Old 10-11-2023, 08:53 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scadams
Unfortunately mine has no such icon.
Some units have a tiny hole where you can insert a paperclip (etc) to perform a reset. This is often on the front panel of the head unit - it is hard to see it so check carefully, if you haven't already. Failing any form of reset control (which seems crazy, I agree) the quickest way to do a reset would seem to be by pulling the PCM fuse for a couple of seconds, causing the unit to reboot.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:36 AM
Barry987
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi
On my PX6 there is a secret menu which allows you change boot time etc. Go, car->factory settings->pin#126. Worth a try.
Barry

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!