Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 01:10 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

btw - for north americans ordering this - dont order the fisheye 170degree rear cam., get the 120deg HD one that isnt as wide.

the fisheye camera is useless for our cars as our stupid north american bumperettes will get in half of the shot anyways
Old 04-28-2020, 03:15 AM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

android is crap. (you can reply all u want but this is just my personal exp). so yeah if someone says android 9 is better, just stick to it. afterall, if it runs carplay, dont mess up the system.

warning, if anyone gets a HUD with no physical buttons, yes its true, looks great, but unless u hv steering wheel ctrl, u gna regret it. everyone is missing their vol. ****. it's a huge safety issue. i also first hand tried it and had issues. glad i got my physical (steering wheel ctrls) to work.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:17 AM
dLat
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

by the way i used to live very close to r.hill, im in california now. hello from the west!
myw (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dLat
android is crap. (you can reply all u want but this is just my personal exp). so yeah if someone says android 9 is better, just stick to it. afterall, if it runs carplay, dont mess up the system.

warning, if anyone gets a HUD with no physical buttons, yes its true, looks great, but unless u hv steering wheel ctrl, u gna regret it. everyone is missing their vol. ****. it's a huge safety issue. i also first hand tried it and had issues. glad i got my physical (steering wheel ctrls) to work.
I prefer having a **** myself, but normally the ones with ***** are also smaller screen. So it is a trade off. There is a solution, where you can get the best of both worlds though. If you don't have steering wheel controls, you can buy aftermarket steering wheel control, and then hook up the SWC wires that come with the aftermarket stereo. I have an older (2007) Nissan that I added steering wheel controls that I bought off of Amazon. Works great, and I get more functions than I get on my cars that came with steering wheel controls from the factory. I also added push to start and RFID entry to that same car.

I don't need carplay, because I don't like Iphone. So I don't even need to have my phone in the car. Any app I want, I install it directly to the Android head unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by sgtm7:
myw (04-28-2020), pchak (04-12-2021)
Old 04-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 104 Posts

Agreed. And he does have steering wheel controls...
Old 04-29-2020, 11:27 PM
911's
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
i did!!! for some reason he kept on talking me out of it....
my android 10 player is already shipped, here is a video clip i received from the chinese seller and i uploaded on youtube showing a bit of os10. it will have apple siri and android google assistant handsfree voice commands capabilities.

Last edited by 911's; 04-29-2020 at 11:44 PM.
irnnr (05-13-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 01:54 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

mine shipped to - same Bob from china car audio?

edit - just watched the video it is him. all good i can either upgrade it myself in the future but i am buying it for carPlay tbh. itll match my daily and just all the other apple stuff i have.

Originally Posted by 911's
my android 10 player is already shipped, here is a video clip i received from the chinese seller and i uploaded on youtube showing a bit of os10. it will have apple siri and android google assistant handsfree voice commands capabilities.

https://youtu.be/kZNwvN67Xgo
Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 PM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Greetings from Germany.

I have ordered the same HU as described in this post (I have OWTOSIN, but it seems to be the same unit as Navifly, just with better hardware options) and it arrived yesterday from China. I took a quick look on how the device fits into the radio slot of my 997 facelift. There seems to be one issue with regards to the locking mechanism that holds the HU in place.
The original PCM 3 is held in place by 4 locking bolts. When you turn these with a 5mm allen key the bolts push out 4 steel springs, which lock the device in place.

The China HU only has steel springs that are attached to the sides of the housing, with no locking mechanism at all. It also uses a spring steel guiding bracket, attached to the sides towards the rear of the HU case.

When I now slide the new headunit into the radio slot in my 997 it fits in nicely, however the steels springs seems by no ways to hold the HU in place. In fact the backend of the HU follows gravity and makes the HU turn down towards at the back end of the HU and the steel springs do not seem to attach the device to the slot. This results in the lower end of the screen standing out compared to the AC control panel by about 1/2 inch. The device is by no means "attached with the radio slot" and accident safe.
It also appears that the guiding brackets have nowhere to slide into in the radio slot in the 997.

To those of you who have already installed the HU, how did you install the HU so it is kept in place nixe and firmly?

Thanks for helping.

bleedingedge

Last edited by bleedingedge; 05-07-2020 at 11:45 PM.
myw (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

seems like there will be some sort of market to fabricate a kit of sorts to get these to fit properly like oem (if possible).

Originally Posted by bleedingedge
Greetings from Germany.

I have ordered the same HU as described in this post (I have OWTOSIN, but it seems to be the same unit as Navifly, just with better hardware options) and it arrived yesterday from China. I took a quick look on how the device fits into the radio slot of my 997 facelift. There seems to be one issue with regards to the locking mechanism that holds the HU in place.
The original PCM 3 is held in place by 4 locking bolts. When you turn these with a 5mm allen key the bolts push out 4 steel springs, which lock the device in place.

The China HU only has steel springs that are attached to the sides of the housing, with no locking mechanism at all. It also uses a spring steel guiding bracket, attached to the sides towards the rear of the HU case.

When I now slide the new headunit into the radio slot in my 997 it fits in nicely, however the steels springs seems by no ways to hold the HU in place. In fact the backend of the HU follows gravity and makes the HU turn down towards at the back end of the HU and the steel springs do not seem to attach the device to the slot. This results in the lower end of the screen standing out compared to the AC control panel by about 1/2 inch. The device is by no means "attached with the radio slot" and accident safe.
It also appears that the guiding brackets have nowhere to slide into in the radio slot in the 997.

To those of you who have already installed the HU, how did you install the HU so it is kept in place nixe and firmly?

Thanks for helping.

bleedingedge
Old 05-08-2020, 01:34 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

I'm guessing that the front 2 mounts the deck has may hold 'ok' but a rear bracket of sorts will need to be fabricated to hold up that third mount point at the back to remove the gravity sag as well as lock it in place.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:23 PM
911's
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

from what i read on their page on Ali Express that these units are compatible with 2005 2008 models hence, 997.1 PCM 2.1 ?

but then again PCM 2.1 look the same as PCM 3.0 from the side and is a little different on the backside as can be seen on below pictures

i'm still waiting for mine to arrive, it will be fitted into 2006 c2s PCM 2.1

maybe we should get in contact with the seller to see if he has a solution to this issue

Old 05-09-2020, 12:17 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Side and back physical mounts re pcm 2.1 and 3.0 are identical based on the photos.

i am waiting on mine to arrive and am also chatting with bob (China car audio) about this same issue

Originally Posted by 911's
from what i read on their page on Ali Express that these units are compatible with 2005 2008 models hence, 997.1 PCM 2.1 ?

but then again PCM 2.1 look the same as PCM 3.0 from the side and is a little different on the backside as can be seen on below pictures

i'm still waiting for mine to arrive, it will be fitted into 2006 c2s PCM 2.1

maybe we should get in contact with the seller to see if he has a solution to this issue

Old 05-09-2020, 01:39 AM
bleedingedge
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, Bob and I are also in contact.
BTW. I can confirm the device works on a 997 facelift, PCM 3.0 replacement. I advised Bob he can change his advert. They provide two harnesses in the parcel: ISO for 997.1 -> PCM 2.1 and Quadlock for 997.2 PCM3.0
Steering wheels control can change volume and switch through the apps on HU that play various media. Phone controls not tested yet.

@myv: What I have done now: I slided the HU into the slot of the center console. I then marked 2 spots near the bottom of the device on the right (driving direction) and one on the left, where I drilled holes and cut an M4 thread into.
I used some spring metal clips I had lying around to clamp on the device from the outside of the center console. I just used a screw through a hole in my clamping spring brackets and screwed it right into the metal housing pulling the HU against the struts of the center console from both sides.
Just be carefull when you drill the holes. The PCB starts at around 15mm from the bottow of the device. So it is best to drill with the metal side covers removed (easy to remove, no cables or whatsoever attached). You also have to be carefull to use screws that won't be too long, as when you screw them in, they may destroy the PCB or short curcuit between the housing and an electronic component as the housing is full negative ground.

Does that make sense? I am not a native speaker and my technical English is a bit rusty :-)

Last edited by bleedingedge; 05-09-2020 at 02:32 AM.
myw (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:18 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

This might help:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003POR...ted-Black.html

Debating whether to go Crutchfield with regular head unit or with the units described here.
bleedingedge (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by bleedingedge

Thanks for helping.

bleedingedge

The OEM radio is held in by both the clips and a screw on the right hand side of the console. You backed that screw out when you removed the OEM unit.

If you look on the left hand side of the console you'll see there is also a location for a screw on that side, but no screw came from the factory. I went to the hardware store and got a similar screw and threaded it into the left side plastic hole. It's a pain as you don't have much room to work but when done there are matching screws on both sides. After the radio is in place and positioned, tighten both screws to pinch the head unit and hold it in place.

This worked beautifully for me and the head unit doesn't move at all.
The following 4 users liked this post by PV997:
AitchUK (07-14-2020), bleedingedge (05-09-2020), eclou (02-17-2023), myw (05-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!