Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 11:17 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by RLR997
997.1 Turbo Tiptronic/Auto
In north america , the .1 pcms have 2 fakra antennas. Both need to be connected hence a dual fakra antenna adapter.

As for direct connection of the antenna I cant recall the specifics but I do have several posts in this thread above (july / aug 2021) where I carefully + thoroughly. went through the exact connections for both bose as well as the antenna adapter. But there is a blue cable acc antenna cable out of the harness that taps right into the fakra adapter.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:26 PM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Please bear with me, but help if you can

I have now found sometime to set aside for this installation and could do with a bit of guidance….

The car is a 997 Gen 2 PDK . No BOSE.

New HU

The dual Dakar supplied by Owtowsin

Current connections

Only 1 pin!!?

As you can see I have removed the old PCM leaving me with these 3 plugs, none of which I seem to be able to reuse. Unfortunately I can’t remember which is the GPS, the radio etc. can anybody help with that?
The new Dual Farrakhan which has the Din socket on the other end will not connect into either one of the in-car plugs as it is keyed with a part in its moulding.

My next doubt is the main connection block.

it does connect to the one provided with the new HU but cants at an angle slightly as there are no adjacent female slots (on the car block) for the male pins (of the new adapter) to slot into. It appears to me that there is only 1 pin that the new adapter connects to and that can be seen in the photo above!
is that right?

Weirdly, I did a test install and the HU works with full sound and function ( as much as I could test) as It used me a it’s antenna as I didn’t have an aerial connected and I did not try navigation, or Dab etc as they were not connected either.
Can anybody tell me what are all the other male pins on the new block doing if there is only 1 pin connecting it to the car’s wiring harness?

I have other questions like routing and placement of the front and rear cameras etc, but I won’t press my luck and all your patience (just yet).

Many thanks to you all in anticipation
Jaba
Old 03-22-2023, 12:44 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 476 Posts

@myw

What is the best way to wire in the MOST adapter?
Old 03-22-2023, 09:32 PM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
@myw

On the harness that came with the stereo, I 'unpinned' them, soldered them to these, then repinned them into the harness. If you look at the diagram on the unit or in the box it will show which wires lead to which pins
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 04:10 AM
RLR997
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
In north america , the .1 pcms have 2 fakra antennas. Both need to be connected hence a dual fakra antenna adapter.

As for direct connection of the antenna I cant recall the specifics but I do have several posts in this thread above (july / aug 2021) where I carefully + thoroughly. went through the exact connections for both bose as well as the antenna adapter. But there is a blue cable acc antenna cable out of the harness that taps right into the fakra adapter.
Sorry I am an idiot, I'd already figured out the blue cable (only realised after pulling the unit out!).

As for the Fakra, I have 2 (total) are these the black and yellow. I was under the impresison the yellow one was the PCM GPS antenna, are these the two you have within the dual Fakra? I have the single one and the AM/FM is OK but not great.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
@myw

there is a post written by myself in this thread approx july/aug 2021 - with exact instructions re this - i recall i titled the post clearly as well.

Since I can't edit the post on this thread, I am going to update the 997 retroFit post with instructions, I can tag you there but you have to be a part of the forum first. Pm me your name and i can tag you np.

With that said, i can only guarantee that it works with private line of android radio, as the public stuff, uses nonStandardized pin harnesses wiring etc etc.

Last edited by myw; 03-23-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Graufuchs (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 06:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RLR997
Sorry I am an idiot, I'd already figured out the blue cable (only realised after pulling the unit out!).

As for the Fakra, I have 2 (total) are these the black and yellow. I was under the impresison the yellow one was the PCM GPS antenna, are these the two you have within the dual Fakra? I have the single one and the AM/FM is OK but not great.
Dual fakra is black + yellow for the .1 cars - i had no idea the .2 cars have dual fakra antennas (from what i recall the north american ones do not). I believe the GPS info (for the .1) is all carried thru the canBus, there is no direct gps connection for the pcm 2.0. Now I am not sure about the pcm 3.0 however.

From your photos I only see a Black Antenna cable - there is no Yellow (dual) fakra antenna. Blue is GPS i believe - which you .2 guys can likely reUse provided an adapter
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by myw; 03-24-2023 at 11:44 AM.
RLR997 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 06:31 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

can those blue Covers covering all those pins be removed ?

its not 1 pin, not even close to that. power, gnd, acc, 2 canbus pins, etc all connect - but ur quadlock harness is covering them .

Originally Posted by Jabamusic
I have now found sometime to set aside for this installation and could do with a bit of guidance….

The car is a 997 Gen 2 PDK . No BOSE.

New HU

The dual Dakar supplied by Owtowsin

Current connections

Only 1 pin!!?

Jaba

Last edited by myw; 03-23-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:16 PM
SIM9er
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The female pins go past those blue covers, one can slide out, the other does not - but no need. That stumped me when I first looked at it, pressed the connector together with the covers in place and it worked.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Originally Posted by SIM9er
The female pins go past those blue covers, one can slide out, the other does not - but no need. That stumped me when I first looked at it, pressed the connector together with the covers in place and it worked.

I’m glad I’m not the only one to be a bit (a lot) confused by those blue covers over the pins. As you say SIMer, the HU works comewhat may.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:27 PM
SIM9er
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops I meant to say the male pins go past the blue covers! With no manual and minimal experience it was a bit experimental for me.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:56 PM
OmairK
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

@myw, do you know if there is a new version coming up? Trying to get an upgrade for my 987.2 CDR30 with Bose.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:26 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
can those blue Covers covering all those pins be removed ?

its not 1 pin, not even close to that. power, gnd, acc, 2 canbus pins, etc all connect - but ur quadlock harness is covering them .

MYW - The sole pin I was referring to is the single metal one seen in photo 3 at the top coming out of the multiple holes. Can you explain a bit more when you say that the Quadlock harness is covering them?

What confuses me is why there are the blue plastic covers on the
quadlock. They do not appear to move when the quad lock is connected or does it happen when it is engaged?
but as SIMer says, the HU works, but how ?
Old 03-27-2023, 12:20 PM
DocNik
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Got mine in.

Done! It looks good and sounds good. Back up camera works. It was a bit nerve wrecking to run the cables, but easier than I thought. My only problem is not finding FM stations under about 99 MHz. Only got a single FAKRA connection in the box, so I tried a double FAKRA, but that killed all sound, in all apps. Not sure how or why. Went back to the single FAKRA. I can live with that.
Mounted a spare SIM-card and now it accesses the internet on its own.
Thanks for all your help, Michael Wong!
myw (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 02:19 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

The blue covers are obviously moving when the quad lock harness is engaged - otherwise no power or sound. Power/GND/ACC/canbus is on one portion of the quad lock while the speaker audio are on another portion. The single blue pin that is exposed IRRC is the antenna ACC pin (or the amp pin)

Originally Posted by Jabamusic
What confuses me is why there are the blue plastic covers on the quadlock. They do not appear to move when the quad lock is connected or does it happen when it is engaged?
but as SIMer says, the HU works, but how ?

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!