Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:41 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks Jay, definitely a Rennlist team effort.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:34 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone, so I have also joined the band wagon and bought this kit.

My car is an 08 (CD changer enabled but not fitted) with the telephone module and PCM 2.1

1) I have received a 3 headed MOST cable (which seems to be in the latest kits), however I just need to connect direct from the MR12VOLT unit to my PCM as I have no CD changed (but it is enabled being a late Gen 1), can I just leave one of the heads blank? or do I need to undo the cables and remove one of the connectors? I suspect the latter !

2) For power I was informed of a great tidy solution that uses this, so I was planning to use this to run the power and then connect the black lead to a stray bolt under the PCM. Any reason not to?

Basically it splits the power straight from the fuse to the PCM and then gives you a fresh cable with no tapping of existing wires.

3) I think I will also need to disconnect the phone module, presumably plugging the 'loop' cable (this also appears to be new in this kit) into the end of the cable so it doesn't feel neglected !

Thoughts welcomed
Old 10-31-2018, 11:22 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

Where do you get this power cable splitter? Nice solution.

Originally Posted by v6matt
Hi everyone, so I have also joined the band wagon and bought this kit.

My car is an 08 (CD changer enabled but not fitted) with the telephone module and PCM 2.1

1) I have received a 3 headed MOST cable (which seems to be in the latest kits), however I just need to connect direct from the MR12VOLT unit to my PCM as I have no CD changed (but it is enabled being a late Gen 1), can I just leave one of the heads blank? or do I need to undo the cables and remove one of the connectors? I suspect the latter !

2) For power I was informed of a great tidy solution that uses this, so I was planning to use this to run the power and then connect the black lead to a stray bolt under the PCM. Any reason not to?

Basically it splits the power straight from the fuse to the PCM and then gives you a fresh cable with no tapping of existing wires.

3) I think I will also need to disconnect the phone module, presumably plugging the 'loop' cable (this also appears to be new in this kit) into the end of the cable so it doesn't feel neglected !

Thoughts welcomed
Old 11-01-2018, 05:18 AM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Where do you get this power cable splitter? Nice solution.
Do a search for "fuse piggy back" I bought this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-STANDA...U/222239619627 but I think it needs a 5amp fuse instead for the MR12VOLT
Old 11-03-2018, 12:49 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bayern_997

Install was a success. Unplugged fiber optic from back of head unit - which was connected to the Navigation. When unplugged the navigation system became unavailable. So I wired the Bluetooth unit into the loop and ran power off the 12v socket. Everything works as advertised, and the navigation is also still functional (not that I ever use it).

overall, highly recommended.
Sounds like you are like me, no bose/cd changer but I do the telephone

How did you connect the 3 headed most cable? I thought it would be a direct connection between the PCM and bluetooth module. Or does one of these take the telephone connection.

MOST Cable

This is what I got in the kit though

Old 11-03-2018, 01:05 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi v6matt, did you complete your install yet? If not, I would refer to the LAPower thread on the 997 Forum. In short, based on what I have learned, if you have the most cable and power cable in the frunk, then you can install as I have shown in the frunk. If not, then follow the instruction and install inside the cockpit via extracting the PCM and wiring as instructed. Let us know how the piggy back adapter works, that even may further simplify the installation.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

#1 in your picture will plug into the factory PCM most cable. 2 or 3 will be the PCM and new LA power. check the arrows or swap if things don't work.
hopefully this is what your your requesting.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:24 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Hi v6matt, did you complete your install yet? If not, I would refer to the LAPower thread on the 997 Forum. In short, based on what I have learned, if you have the most cable and power cable in the frunk, then you can install as I have shown in the frunk. If not, then follow the instruction and install inside the cockpit via extracting the PCM and wiring as instructed. Let us know how the piggy back adapter works, that even may further simplify the installation.
Afraid not, I have been putting it off until I have it clear in my mind what I am doing before removing trim/units.

I dont think I will have the cable as I don't have the changer but worth a check! Thanks I will be back to let you know when I get around to it.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayi836
#1 in your picture will plug into the factory PCM most cable. 2 or 3 will be the PCM and new LA power. check the arrows or swap if things don't work.
hopefully this is what your your requesting.
Aha now I think I get it !

So 1 plugs into factory PCM cable, 2 or 3 plugs into the PCM directly, and the spare one in the LA Power

That makes more sense as the manual shows either:

1) A 3 way connection between the PCM / LA Power and then a picture of a phone/gps for the third
2) A direct connection with a two headed most connection between the PCM and the LA Power (however no 2 headed connection is here....that must be if you have the original CD changer connection
Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM
v6matt
Intermediate

Attempted it this weekend but then realised that one of the videos wasnt quite right (i.e about pulling out a plug/screw), the later ones must have a revised design and need a 7mm spanner. Typically I didnt have one with me, so amazon primed it. I can see how the piggy back lead fits in there though. Still not quite sure about the exit point from the fuse box but sure it work out.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:44 AM
v6matt
Intermediate

Ok second attempt now I have the tools i.e 7mm spanner and 5mm allen key.

I couldn't find a great earth point behind the PCM. Is there an obvious one I have missed? or somewhere that could 'reach'. My car doesn't have the 12v output in the side carpet trim, this seems to be a US spec.

But anyway I hooked up the MOST lead, the Power Lead, an earth lead (not a great location and personally wouldn't use again as could be the source of my problem).

Plugged the fuse back in but no joy. I got the message saying that the phone was not found (expected) but when clicking the cd changer option it says 'no cd changer'. So I suspect that my earth location was poor and thus no power. Also I can't recall if changing the cables around removed the navigation error but I suspect the lack of power to the unit knocked out the DVD changer and the Phone connection.

I also tried searching for the bluetooth name with no luck = no power.

I also tried switching around the MOST lead but no luck there either.

Any advice on what else to check/where to earth would be appreciated, waiting for the weekend now....

A few pictures of today's fun, obviously that picture showing the earth lead is when I was disconnecting everything, and the piggy lead was certainly powering the PCM.

Last edited by v6matt; 11-07-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Matt it the LA power unit powered can you see any LED's on? The issue is in the fiber optic loop. follow the arrows on the cable perhaps they flipped one during assembly.(diagram in previous post)
Are you certain the CD changer is enabled?
I just got the same error on mine after working flawlessly for a month. I'm now glad I paid the Amazon tax for the return policy. I will try and remove it tonight and report back.
Planning on with the NAVTV and an Pioneer NEX or similar.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:09 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayi836
Matt it the LA power unit powered can you see any LED's on? The issue is in the fiber optic loop. follow the arrows on the cable perhaps they flipped one during assembly.(diagram in previous post)
Are you certain the CD changer is enabled?
I just got the same error on mine after working flawlessly for a month. I'm now glad I paid the Amazon tax for the return policy. I will try and remove it tonight and report back.
Planning on with the NAVTV and an Pioneer NEX or similar.
Nope no LED's, I did look but couldnt see where they would even live. They didnt appear to be on the end of the box or the front? Where are they? From the advertising picture it looks like they may be by the reset button but I dont think my MR12VOLT has those two holes. Hm

The car is the last of the Gen 1's which bodes well, it has the most loop enabled for the nav/telephone and I get the 'no cd changer' option which indicates it is looking.

Did you have the 3 headed MOST cable? If so, it would be interesting to know which of the two male connectors go into the LA Power i.e the one with the short lead to the female that goes into the PCM, or the longer trailing one.

My next attempt is to run the earth to one of the fuse box carrier screws or the dash side screws, as apparently both are these are good. Also hopefully not 1 hour before it gets dark with passer by's in central London wondering if I am robbing my own car !
Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 PM
v6matt
Intermediate

Oh I am not sure where my post went, i.e the one jay responded to but basically....

Connected up, got the no phone/nav message. Bluetooth didnt work, as I suspect it wasn't getting power.

Need to find a good earth point for the 'ground' lead which I am struggling with given I dont want to splice existing cables and my car doesnt have the 12v socket in footwell. Any suggestions welcomed.

Some pictures too !

Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Matt, This is what it should look like when working and powered up.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?