Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrizzo
Jeffblak.......can you be a little more specific on how to disconnect the phone module? I had a shop put mine in and I'm not that great with wiring . Can I just unplug the module that's under passenger seat?
Unplug the phone module under the seat (and leave it unplugged) -- wrap some cloth tape around it so it doesn't rattle. Make sure the fiber optic cable for the MOST bus is looped. Have the dealer use PIWIS to access the PCM coding and disable the phone module in the PCM. You can also have them disable the phone module coding in the Gateway, but I think that's less relevant as the error message you see on the screen is driven by the PCM, not the Gateway.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skypalace
I was about to put this on my Christmas list, but no longer see this offered on Amazon, other than through a third-party seller with an 88% rating. Is LAPower no longer selling direct on Amazon, or did something else change?

Curious the best link to give Santa on the off chance he decides this should end up under the tree...

This is where I bought mine, it says only 10 more available though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-U...53.m1438.l2649

you can also contact the seller (I think he is the manufacturer as well) directly. Ron Chan <leica919@gmail.com>
Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM
Mrizzo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeffblak... thanks alot I appreciate the help . It's funny how I called 2 Porsche dealers in New jersey and one said it cant be done and the other was 90% sure it cant be done ( turning off phone module in pcm). I'll deal with the code if I get right what you explained . The loop that your talking about . The installer used the one that came with kit on set up . I dont need another under seat connection, do I?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Top tip: You can undo the bolts for the seat and tilt it backwards to access the phone module. That way you don't have to 1) strain your back and/or risk scratching your door sills, and 2) don't have to disconnect the wiring to take the seat all the way out.

If you do, for whatever reason, end up disconnecting the seats (you shouldn't), do not turn the power for the car on unless you have a Durametric or other tool that can reset the SRS/airbag warning.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Mrizzo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got around to disconnecting the phone module and putting in the loop....everything finally works perfect except for the error I get for phone on start up. I can live that for now. Thanks again for all the help
Old 12-15-2018, 08:24 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Just installed this unit in a 2008 997 Turbo. As an owner of a Denison unit since 2012, this La Power unit is hands down superior in EVERY way. Took just 2 hours to install in the front without any issues or pcm error messages! You be an idiot to spend more on anything else! Perfect operation and quickly was recognized by the iPhone without having to touch anything in the Porsche PCM. I am ripping my Denison and tossing it in the nearest Florida canal. Well first I will hit it with a five pound hammer and then tossing it in the canal. It will accelerate its decomposition and maybe reduce the snake population in the Everglades. Highly recommend the La Power unit!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:31 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

atcbi5-was your front installation in the frunk? Did you use a wireless mic/lavallier or hard wire the mic? I installed mine in the frunk and used a wireless mic to avoid routing a hard wire from the frunk to the cabin. Interested in how you did yours.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:35 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by gbakerge
atcbi5-was your front installation in the frunk? Did you use a wireless mic/lavallier or hard wire the mic? I installed mine in the frunk and used a wireless mic to avoid routing a hard wire from the frunk to the cabin. Interested in how you did yours.
That's an interesting idea. Mind to share the details?
Old 12-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@Mrizzo Looks like you have about got it licked. Once the install problems are worked out these devices work really well. I just realized today that in addition to what information you see on the audio CD screen on the PCM, you can also press the info hard key and select CD and you will see more info about the song and artist. From this screen the forward and reverse buttons still work on the keypad.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:51 PM
gbakerge
Racer

cwheeler - See my previous post on this thread, #254
Old 12-15-2018, 06:16 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

cwheeler - See my previous post on this thread, #254
Great.

How are you powering the receivers? Hardwired? Or do you pull them and charge?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:22 PM
gbakerge
Racer

The LAPower is powered via splicing to the former power supply of the CD changer. The wireless mic transmitter and receiver are powered by batteries. Since my car is a garage queen, I typicall have them off on the weekdays and turn them on over the weekend. This solution works very well and is so fast and simple to complete. It made my car feel modern and I have had zero connectivity issues or error signals.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM
MikeSinNC
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all previous contributors for the info, tips and tricks. I ordered from Amazon, arrived today and installed this afternoon in under 2 hours easily. I definitely spend more time reading this thread and watching videos. Very please with operation and sound quality.

Installed on C2S with Bose, no CDC, nav or phone

Thanks to all, Mike
Old 12-15-2018, 07:08 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

The LAPower is powered via splicing to the former power supply of the CD changer. The wireless mic transmitter and receiver are powered by batteries. Since my car is a garage queen, I typicall have them off on the weekdays and turn them on over the weekend. This solution works very well and is so fast and simple to complete. It made my car feel modern and I have had zero connectivity issues or error signals.
Seems reasonable. Mine is the same...
Old 12-15-2018, 10:48 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes we installed it in the front per a member on here. Tried the wireless mic but he didn't like it. We used the supplied wired mic. I used the master hydraulic clutch entrance. Then we routed the mic on drivers pilar. I have to tell you, this unit is so good I ordered one. Nobody uses the CD changer anyway. We used Velcro and neatly attached to the CD Changer mount. Perfect, easy, no trouble, no errors amazing! The kit has everything you need!

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?