Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Updated Guide To Installing Lowering Springs or Coilovers For Your 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 265 Posts

Thanks. That is a great illustration. They take a slightly different approach then the service procedure I posted.

But very similar. The photos are of great help.

This looks extremely easy at this point, and even easier if you have a 2WD model.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:58 AM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Charging head first into this today! New springs and struts.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:12 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Good luck. Send some pics and let us know any questions!
Old 03-01-2020, 12:01 AM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Good luck. Send some pics and let us know any questions!
So far so good! Sheared the dammed bolt on the right side brake line and had to pull the left shock back out when I realized I did what you did with the cup washer but other than that, pretty easy!
Old 03-01-2020, 11:27 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Ok! Done!

Bilstein B8s and H&R springs...Long story short, my right rear was blown so I just decided to do all 4 corners and couldn’t have done it without this thread!

The fronts are easy, just follow the instructions as listed with the new edits. You really need the spring compressors The Bruce posted. I had borrowed the Harbor Freight ones and they worked, but they would get pinched while compressing. You need two people to get the new springs on the new struts!

The rears, are a pain in the ***. Follow as posted, loosen tie rods at wheel carrier instead of at frame as posted. Again, get better spring compressors and a friend to get the new springs on the new shocks. When taking out the BOSE speaker, take the nut nearest the back window out first. When taking the other nut off, pull up on the bracket so you don’t lose the nut into the nether if your chassis. Don’t ask how I know 😕

I did one wheel at a time. The second wheel took about a quarter of the time as you’ve already figured out what you have to do. That said, it’s a whole weekend for sure between walking dogs and drinking beer.

The B8s and H&Rs are pretty stiff but it drives amazingly!

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 03-02-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Updated pic! Need to paint calipers and get wheels powder coated.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:12 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Well done! Car looks great. Good choice in wheels. Would recommend 15mm spacers in the back and 10-12 in the fronts with that drop. Its a little more aggressive than the Eibachs.

Which bolt did you sheer? The bracket for the brake sensor?

Not sure if you saw my subsequent writeup on doing the rears. I learned a better way. I had to replace my strut mount and the second go around I had the rear shock out in 15 mins with two of us and a lift.

Im starting to think about another suspension project. I replaced the strut mounts on my passenger side but not the driver side. At low speed I feel a slight rattle in the front left wheel. I believe its the strut mount but pushing 80k miles I might need to start thinking about refreshing some components.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Well done! Car looks great. Good choice in wheels. Would recommend 15mm spacers in the back and 10-12 in the fronts with that drop. Its a little more aggressive than the Eibachs.
Which bolt did you sheer? The bracket for the brake sensor?
Not sure if you saw my subsequent writeup on doing the rears. I learned a better way. I had to replace my strut mount and the second go around I had the rear shock out in 15 mins with two of us and a lift.
Im starting to think about another suspension project. I replaced the strut mounts on my passenger side but not the driver side. At low speed I feel a slight rattle in the front left wheel. I believe its the strut mount but pushing 80k miles I might need to start thinking about refreshing some components.
Thanks man! Couldn't have done it without your write up so thank you for posting this!! It is pretty aggressive and the ride quality sure isn't quite as supple lol but it's fun! I agree with you on the spacers, that's probably next for sure. It's going to be a ways out though as blowing my entire weekend on this was kind of a bummer but I'm glad it's done! The right rear shock that was blown was for sure DONE for.
Yup, that's the one - the brake sensor bracket. I haven't fixed it yet. Buttoned the car back up, drove it a bit and drove it into work today. I'll buy an extraction kit and get after it this weekend as I don't think it should harm anything not being mounted.
I did see that post, nice enough it popped up as a related thread so that was handy. The second time went way faster which is nice.
I'll also add that I went to O'Reilly auto parts to rent the ball joint puller like you had (I just couldn't bring myself to hammer it out) but the only one they had was different but it did work! I rented the EverTough Tie Rod End Remover, part number 67008. You have to use a rubber mallet gently to get it behind the dust shield but it lines up perfectly. Square it up, tighten it down and just when you think it's not going to budge it pops right out!
Again, thanks for posting this up and following up with people commenting, super cool of you!
-Mike
Old 03-02-2020, 11:20 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Hmmmm...I know the suspension needed to be replaced, but I think something else is up. Maybe it’s just how the car drives (my first newer gen Porsche)?

Before the new suspension, I’d get a “clunk” going over our local speed bumps. That’s gone! what has stayed, is that it almost feels like I’m driving on the rims on less that stellar roads. On freeways, it’s smooth as silk though.

Everything looked sorted on what I pulled out. My tire pressure I got from a thread here, running 37 front 40 rear cold. Tire pressure has t really impacted anything though.

Thoughts?
Old 03-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Also, what have you all done with the old parts? Are they worth the time to toss them on ebay? I threw the one bad shock away but the others are decent at least. 65k miles on those and the springs...
Old 03-10-2020, 01:27 AM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 265 Posts

Show time.

Managed to remove one of the front assemblies tonight. Very straight forward. Followed the procedure I posted earlier exactly.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Looks like you got it all right the first time, new caps, spacers, the whole nine!

I will also add then when you are pulling the carpet out for the rear that you should also pull the long piece that runs in between the Bose subwoofer mounts. Do that first before pulling the little carpet pieces out, and put it back in last when reassembling. It makes EVERYTHING (taking things out, putting things back in, not losing one of those damned bracket nuts) way easier.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:59 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Dangit!!! TheBruce, I just tried to PM ya but your box is full hahaha...Here's the new problem. Not to mention, I can't fit a jack under my car now lol

Hoping you don't mind swapping theories on another problem that just started about two days ago, about 7-9ish days after I wrapped up the suspension swap. Now, it sounds like something in the right front is rattle/knocking. That's the best way I can describe it at least, it's got about the frequency of a rattle, but sounds more like a knock. I pulled both front wheels and everything is tight, with the exception of the brake line bracket I still need to fix...but I don't "think" that's it because it just started happening. I pulled all the plastic trim pieces off, shook the hell out of the frunk and nothing. Ran next to it while the wife drove, and couldn't hear it from the outside.
It sounds like it's coming from underneath, but you know how acoustics are!

Old 03-12-2020, 11:39 PM
codywms
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check the nut on top of the strut? That can cause a rattle.

I bought some small (2 inch or so) ramps that I drive my rear wheels onto. From there I can jack it up normally.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:03 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Originally Posted by codywms
Did you check the nut on top of the strut? That can cause a rattle.

I bought some small (2 inch or so) ramps that I drive my rear wheels onto. From there I can jack it up normally.
God I could kick myself. It was the brake bracket of whose bolt I sheared off. The top but isn’t loose per say, but it’s not terribly tight.
Dont ask for help until you’ve fixed the **** you know is broke lol.

Quick Reply: An Updated Guide To Installing Lowering Springs or Coilovers For Your 997.1