Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Updated Guide To Installing Lowering Springs or Coilovers For Your 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:04 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 165 Posts

@Original these are great tips, and 100% agree with your revisions.

It would have been much easier to to remove the control arm at the carrier. Getting them back on and torqued on the chassis side sucked.

As for the fronts, I think there was another post that recommended the same re the inner control arm. I think that would have saved TON of hassle with the spring compressors. Manipulating those in the wheel well are the worst part of the job. I could feel the tension the control arm kept on the carrier but had not seen any other posts recommending their removal. I was still timid at that point and didnt want to remove anything I wasn't told to. By the time I got to the rears I realized my mistake and just started taking **** apart...

If you have any pictures and can do a quick write up on these I can edit the original post and insert your revised steps.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:33 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Thanks Original and TheBruce for your tips. I got one corner done this afternoon.

Something I think needs to be mentioned is that for anyone with an AWD carrera, the front diff must be uncoupled prior to tilting the wheel carrier assembly and removing the front struts. It was a two hour detour when I noticed that issue - I hope I did not mess up the axle.

Definitely is tricky getting the strut assembly out without scratching the fender but all-in-all... it's DIYable. Just need patience and the right tools (and lots of fluids, seeing as how we're kicking into the mid-90s this week).
Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

@Jeebus31 - it didnt happen without some pics :-)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

@TheBruce - I feel like it's not happening, this is the longest DIY I've ever done... I blame my work schedule. I have three corners done now (both fronts, and did one of the rears today). The rear is a pain in the butt to get back in and aligned to get all the bolts situated. Manipulating the strut to align the strut mount with the holes inside the car is not trivial. Until compressed, the strut with eibach springs leaves the strut mount/plastic bits loose, and they do move around so I definitely recommend double/triple checking the orientation before torquing anything down.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Yup it sucks. The worst part is right after the first one when you realize you're only 1/4 done :-)

Actually I think the worst part for me was reinstalling the rear deck and subwoofer. I was sweaty and dead tired with all 6'2" of me stuffed in the back of that car. I wanted to get it done but decided to call it quits and finish off the next day. I knew I would end up breaking something. Your approach of doing one strut a day is actually pretty smart.

Agree with all your points. I had the same thing happen on the rears. Also make sure you take a picture of the white plastic spring insulator at the top of the rear struts to make sure you realign them correctly. I didnt see any reference to this in the instructions so ended up just copying its orientation from the stock strut.

You are almost there and the improvement to handling and looks of the car are well worth it.

Get 'er done!

Last edited by TheBruce; 05-19-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:32 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Get 'er done!
Got 'er done

Name:  lRoDDfU.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  88.4 KB
Old 05-19-2018, 03:06 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

well done!! congrats. the car looks epic.

it will likely sit a bit lower over the next few days and then you can get the alignment done.

did you put spacers on? i cant tell from this angle.

im pretty sure your next project will be repainting your calipers. it was for me.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

I appreciate the tips in this write up. I got mine done, with a few new cuss words. Rear was much harder than the front. Id didnt help that i did the last corner 3 times �� . I got it back in and started putting bolts in, when i turn my head and see the rubber boot sitting on the floor....... then after the second round, i see the spacer on the floor!
tip: look around the floor!!
anyone know what size spacers i need to get these flush until i get new wheels?

Old 05-19-2018, 05:36 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I am running 15mm in rear and 7mm... rear looks fine but front has more room to get it flush.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:22 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Nice work Jeremy. Love those wheels.

I would recommend 15mm in rear and 15mm in front, or 12 and 12. I also have 7mm in front and its still looks slightly tucked in. The rears look perfect.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:32 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheBruce
well done!! congrats. the car looks epic.

it will likely sit a bit lower over the next few days and then you can get the alignment done.

did you put spacers on? i cant tell from this angle.

im pretty sure your next project will be repainting your calipers. it was for me.
No spacers (yet).

Would absolutely love to paint my calipers, but I need a little more courage to remove the calipers and bleed the system without screwing it up.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:43 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For the Eibach Pro Kit - do the bump stops need to be cut?
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

No. But I would probably replace your bump stops while you are at it. Mine were disintegrated.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:21 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great - thanks!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Little different for an AWD C4

I spoke to a tech in CA and It’s recommended to remove the entire wheel carrier by removing the axle nut and replacing the axle nuts when I’m done. A little more heavy lifting but you can actually, when using lowering springs, install the entire assembly into the wheel well on the axle nut shaft and pivot it into place without compressing anything or using compressors at all. Learning as I went along it took me probably 7-8 hours to get the front left corner out and in, and probably half as much time to a third as much time to do the right front. Tomorrow I will do the rears. I still say this job is a bitch without some sort of lift and seated on your ***, but if you power through and persevere with all the proper tools it’s not too bad once you get past that first corner out and back in. Lowering springs a plus, I believe....hydrate and have calories in you or nearby when you start. I’d tackle fronts in two mornings and we shall see on the rears tomorrow.

Last edited by ALEV8; 07-04-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: An Updated Guide To Installing Lowering Springs or Coilovers For Your 997.1