Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
That's a great set up. You will love it especially if you track your car. Make sure the calipers you get have the yellow zircon piston inserts and NOT the new style "brown" versions which are prone to cracking. I believe Porsche retained the yellow inserts on the GT calipers but for some reason changed to the brown ones on the TT versions. I went through two sets of the new style brown insert calipers last year and it was mess getting Porsche to warrantee them but they finally did after 6 months of haggling with Porsche corporate. The other reason I would recommend the GT3 versions and not the TT versions is the fact that there are no rebuild kits available for the odd TT piston sizes. PMNA sells the GT/cup version rebuild kits. Just an FYI.

Here's what the inserts looked like on the 2013 997TT PCCB calipers after only 3000 miles of street driving. The material gets brittle, chalky, and begins to crack. You can basically take chunks out if it with your fingernail. This did not appear to be an isolated incident as the same thing happened to another owner with the new style calipers. Maybe Porsche had changed the design again since last year but just thought I'd throw it out there. There are no issues with the yellow zircon inserts.

photo 2 by pwdrhound1, on Flickr

photo 3 by pwdrhound1, on Flickr
Thank you for the PM, your reply has been very helpful. Fortunately i was able to find a decent used set on the market And looking at the photos, it seems to be GT3 callipers.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

New parts came in today.

Porsche motorsport cams, Carrillo rods, RSR oil pump, and a picture of the 4.2 cylinder that is much bigger size than the 3.6. Also new crank, but i am working in Asia, so need to ask the shop what brand is the crank.
Attached Images      
Old 04-04-2014, 01:53 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinesis 996
Thank you for the PM, your reply has been very helpful. Fortunately i was able to find a decent used set on the market And looking at the photos, it seems to be GT3 callipers.
You're welcome. Yep those are the GT3 versions with the Zircon pucks. That's what you want. Good luck with the project.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Inaugural HPDE @ The Ridge

Name:  image-3795827634.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  334.4 KB
Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 AM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

I just got Kevin@UMW's data logger and emailed my ecu out for my tune. Was able to clear a code I didn't even realize I had at the same time.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 AM
robertgalka
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
Had the complete undercarriage, brakes, suspension, etc. cleaned with a dry ice blasting machine. Since the car originally was owned down south ( Alabama, Georgia, NC, now FL), the cosmoline looked OK, but I preferred to have it removed. I like it.

get ready for gearhead ****...........

Before:
After:
Where did you get it done? Is there a local car detailing place that does it? Where I live dry ice blasting is mainly used for residential mold removal.

I've been wanting to to that to my car since I bought it.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by robertgalka
Where did you get it done? Is there a local car detailing place that does it? Where I live dry ice blasting is mainly used for residential mold removal.

I've been wanting to to that to my car since I bought it.
The place is located in South Florida, TuneRS. they did a great job and have a quality facility.

The supplier of this type of equipment is Continental Carbonic. They may have locations closer to you. Their website shows this type of equipment is used in food preparation/manufacturing facilities, plastics, printing, electrical, etc.

They system used by TuneRS is extensive, as opposed to the CC website which shows a variety of Dry ice blasting equipment which may be better for a DIY'er.

Research it a bit; look at the PSI requirements. I think the lower PSI may work for simple cleaning; but probably not for heavy duty stuff.

GL.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

curious, what was the charge to have it cleaned to that level?
PM if you prefer. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:43 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Originally Posted by 993GT
curious, what was the charge to have it cleaned to that level?
PM if you prefer. Thanks!
I contacted TuneRS, who advertise in our local PCA mag, Die Porsche Kassette
I would venture to say that most of the cars they clean are garage queens and concours, etc. But they had just completed another 996 Turbo the day before I arrived.

I was quoted $1,250, which includes the first 500lbs of dry ice. It's a long day, there really shouldnt be a rush to get this work done. The tech cleaning my car was very thorough in removing undertray panels and wheels and securing what seems like 1000 screws and plastic clips. Prepping the equipment and then getting dirty for what seems like a good 4-6 hours of blasting, and even more on the second day, if necessary.

They recommend the vehicle stay overnight; it basically remains on the lift until all work is completed and all plastic undertrays and wheels are re-installed. I believe they do inspect prior to disassembly/ reassembly to make sure nothing looks out of the ordinary. I could imagine that if a customer brings in a vehicle and CV boots are found torn or a major leak is uncovered, that it would have to be divluged to the owner prior to cleaning to avoid major headaches.

ALL in all , I think for vehicles and owners that don't really care for the cosmoline and prefer a nice shiny bottom, it's a treat.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i've wanted to do that forever. i'm gonna try just a pressure washer used judiciously though....
1250 is a bit pricey for a car wash !
Old 04-05-2014, 12:18 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i've wanted to do that forever. i'm gonna try just a pressure washer used judiciously though....
1250 is a bit pricey for a car wash !
True. I believe someone spent like 8 hours with degreasers and brushes and what not to clean up the undercarriage; I've been exposed enough to used oil, gasoline, carb cleaner, paint fumes, etc. in my younger years to never attempt going that route .

The dry ice is just another blasting media; I think these DI cleaning vendors have pretty much found that DI beats most other types of media, and it frickin leaves no residue.

NO affiliation; IF any of the interested folks looking into DIY, on the Continental Carbonic website, the Freeze Clean system or one of the lower demand units may be the way to go. Jost make sure you post up so we can keep resurrecting this topic....

Last edited by 2K7TTMIA; 04-05-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

After winter hibernation. I dropped tire pressures back to standard spec, disconnected the battery charger and started her up. Drove out to get my drive clean test. Passed this and then renewed my plates for another 2 years.
Even though snow flakes are still flying the tires were ok, braking was a bit off with the cold tires and sandy roads. Boy does this car go, after a winter of driving a normal aspirated 3.6l 996 I been acclimatized to slowness. These cars are such an amazing rush.
Over the winter I ripped out that pesky manual holder under the steering wheel that 01's have. No more shin bruises for me now. I gave it a buff and a fresh coat of rejectx to help with cleaning off the flying rubber bits that the track will do. Though still not ready yet, need to replace a cracked windshield, replace a broken drop link or tie rod with some tarret and have to dump the coolant and replace it with water. Those things come first but I still would like some pedals to make heel and toe easier and some euro gt3 seats. I'd like some gt2 rear wheels and new rubber would be nice but don't think that will happens this year.

Last edited by jumper5836; 05-12-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:44 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by 2K3TTMIA
True. I believe someone spent like 8 hours with degreasers and brushes and what not to clean up the undercarriage; I've been exposed enough to used oil, gasoline, carb cleaner, paint fumes, etc. in my younger years to try going that route .

no doubt, and the results speak for themselves!

my undercarriage is downright embarrassing owing to leaving a ""stage1" rms leak go unresolved and waiting until something else demanded my going in and fixing it. what a bloody ( well, oily ) mess. it actually disgusting to look at and your pics just reminded me of it since the rms is new but the OIL all over my engine case ain't!

i commend your commitment to keeping polished parts of your car only you ever really see. that power wash ( though cheaper version of yours i'm sure ) it's on my never ending "list"!.. cheers.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Changed the oil, oil filter and air filter. While the air box was out I installed some RSS semi-solid motor mounts. I will post a review once I do some miles with them.

On side note, I have been doing oil changes on 911s for decades and yet I am still impressed by the velocity of that oil coming out of the tank. It is like Niagara Falls.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I installed some RSS semi-solid motor mounts.
man, you're gonna love the newer more visceral "connectedness" of the feel of the car, and esp inside the cabin with the *slight* increase in NVH. but what a difference semi solids make. good for you carlo,.. enjoy.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?