Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 11:00 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Still planning on epoxy? If so, are you going to remove the zip ties?
Old 05-01-2020, 12:12 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Oil change time
Old 05-01-2020, 12:58 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
hole for front camera

mounted

looks good to me
i need a new lip... aero or just replace with another turbo lip...

yes must order new lip and detail car... it's filthy...

any questions, please let me know...
The mesh looks great. I might do that when I get bored sometime in the future.
With the covid restrictions loosening and work ramping up a bit next week, I’m trying to squeeze in as many projects and cruises as possible. Today I removed the intercoolers and am going to install the 997.2 IC hopefully tomorrow. I crimped the end tank connections and then slathered them in epoxy just to prevent any future loosening/leaks. Should hold up for years of use. Once they’re in, will gather some logs and turn up the boost a bit to 18-19psi.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:09 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
The mesh looks great. I might do that when I get bored sometime in the future.
With the covid restrictions loosening and work ramping up a bit next week, I’m trying to squeeze in as many projects and cruises as possible. Today I removed the intercoolers and am going to install the 997.2 IC hopefully tomorrow. I crimped the end tank connections and then slathered them in epoxy just to prevent any future loosening/leaks. Should hold up for years of use. Once they’re in, will gather some logs and turn up the boost a bit to 18-19psi.

Time to stomp on some liter bikes?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:10 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Gorgeous e36, wish I could get my hands on a clean example like I had back in the day.

Originally Posted by Rustler
Beautiful evening here in MT last night (finally some spring arrives!), so took the 996 out with a friend in an E36 M3, and he snapped some photos:

Old 05-01-2020, 11:08 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

I've had two E36 M3's, this is the one I had right before I got my Turbo. I sold it because it was a dedicated track car and I wasn't going to the track very much. I sometimes regret not keeping it and just throwing the stock interior back into it, but if I'd kept it I wouldn't have the Turbo I have now... Sigh. Never enough garage space or money to keep all the cars I want...

Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by T Kono
Still planning on epoxy? If so, are you going to remove the zip ties?
at first i epoxied a few spots on the back and removed the zip ties around the edge of the grill... when i started to press on the mesh to see how much the material would deflect, there were some spots where i didn't have enough epoxy and it popped the grill off so i may just run a full bead around the whole thing... my goal was to have no zip ties to keep it clean and tidy looking but i will need a few zip ties for the camera wire. it's barely noticeable since the color just blends in anyway...
Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

front done, now lets finish the back...

i'm sure we all like them thicc

Old 05-01-2020, 01:13 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 3,048 Posts

looks good to me

i need a new lip... aero or just replace with another turbo lip...

yes must order new lip and detail car... it's filthy...

any questions, please let me know...
Good to see the CTS-V is pulling it's weight and supporting Porsche parts...
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 01:21 PM
pancing
Drifting

at first i epoxied a few spots on the back and removed the zip ties around the edge of the grill... when i started to press on the mesh to see how much the material would deflect, there were some spots where i didn't have enough epoxy and it popped the grill off so i may just run a full bead around the whole thing... my goal was to have no zip ties to keep it clean and tidy looking but i will need a few zip ties for the camera wire. it's barely noticeable since the color just blends in anyway...
You should use exterior trim silicone. Osi weather seal in black, its use is for roof flashing so it would be ideal in our cars since it sees exterior surface temps and weather.
The following users liked this post:
kamlung (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 01:46 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Good to see the CTS-V is pulling it's weight and supporting Porsche parts...
LOL... well in theory the 911 is older so the little American brother needs to help his big bro when needed... when it isn't used as a leaning post, the wagon has been a good support vehicle to transport wheels, tires and body parts...

Originally Posted by pancing
You should use exterior trim silicone. Osi weather seal in black, its use is for roof flashing so it would be ideal in our cars since it sees exterior surface temps and weather.
thanks for that... i thought about some red gasket maker at first or black rtv silicone but you are right as it is better for weather... i'll pick some up next time i'm at the big orange...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Time to stomp on some liter bikes?
Haha one can dream. Never hurts to try though. Will see what I run into.

Got the 7.2 intercoolers on today. It took about 4-5 hours from start to finish. Trimming the ducts wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. Just trimmed the inner lip and then cut a few notches around the outside for them to fit snug. Add some weatherstrip on the inlet side and bolt em back up.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:59 AM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
Haha one can dream. Never hurts to try though. Will see what I run into.

Got the 7.2 intercoolers on today. It took about 4-5 hours from start to finish. Trimming the ducts wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. Just trimmed the inner lip and then cut a few notches around the outside for them to fit snug. Add some weatherstrip on the inlet side and bolt em back up.
How are people getting them so cheap? Theyre still 1500$ or so...
Old 05-02-2020, 12:23 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,008 Likes on 3,048 Posts

How are people getting them so cheap? Theyre still 1500$ or so...
Just look around.... I saw a set for $700 awhile back on eBay - bought new but never installed.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:50 PM
foxkart61
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installed Steering Wheel Extension for 996TT

Being 6' 4" and with long legs, I hated the driving position in my 996TT, with wheel tilted full up and with seat back far enough for proper arm length and seat full down... my knee was hitting the steering wheel when reaching for brake pedal, and the wheel was so low I wasn't really steering from the shoulder. After years of Kart racing, and setting up many karts, I've learned the importance of proper driver positioning ... I was going to replace the 996TT seat to lower it, then I saw this 2" steering wheel extension and thought I would start with that! I purchased it through Ebay from manufacterer, look up Ebay seller dailydrivermotorsport ... had to contact them through Ebay to get them to ship to USA, but they did no problem ... was $272 with shipping ... a very well made part (I have a full machine shop capable of making this part, but for that price, buying it is a no brainier). This extension is an INCREDIBLE improvement, and gets all the stalks out of the way, so I'm not driving at track days with my signal lights and wipers running, LOL. The signal light is a bit of a reach now, but at 6' 4" my finger reach is pretty good. The install went well, except for the simple single wire extension cable included in the kit.. the crimps were weak (pulled out easily), and one terminal really needed to be right angled to clear the airbag, so I re-crimped terminals and bent one at right angle ... no biggy.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?