Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:30 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
Looking great! Why install the LW underdrive pulley? I have also considered doing this, presumably to relieve some stress on the PS pump during track days, but I have never found any evidence to support use of these pulleys on our cars. Do you know of any real world support to this? It's funny because I'm generally a supporter of LW underdrive pulleys and have found them to be minor performance enhancers on other cars (quicker and easier revs, theoretically less drain from accessories), but for some unexplained reason I have been hesitant to install one on the turbo.
I did it for a few reasons:

1) I have done just about every bolt on performance upgrade possible (PSS-9, Hybrid turbos, injectors, dual fuel pumps, enlarged boost hoses, larger intercoolers, enlarged Y-Pipe, larger throttle body, matching IPD plenum, Hi-Flow intake plenum/fresh air pipes, exhaust, SSK, etc.) and I have been eyeing this mod for a few years, as one of the few remaining bolt on tweaks that I am aware of. I figured if it does anything, I'll take it. I have had the car so long, it keeps it interesting to do new performance upgrades.

2) Since I moved to the LWF, I figured now is the time to lighten the rotating mass. Coincidentally, after I purchased it, I was told it is recommended with a LWF.

But mainly, I wanted to do something new and there is not much left for my street use car...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 04-06-2019, 09:53 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=powdrhound;15755615]
Originally Posted by John D II
After almost 10 years of trouble free use, it was time for some refreshing. I guess it was the 150K refresh (153K miles). The front radiators showed some signs of dried seeping coolant, so we installed the CSF Racing high performance one piece aluminum radiator set (no pressed seams like OEM), installed a Protomotive double clutch/764PP/LWF (all Porsche OEM components, 1000+HP holding power), installed GT3 style LW underdrive pulley, installed new wastegates, installed new diverters, installed new plugs, new air filter, 4 new tires, road force balance/alignment, smoke tested everything, cut GT2 rear decklid and fitted rubber seal for dual snorkel air box to newly fitted GT2 rear decklid, refreshed the powder coat on the Y-Pipe and finally uploaded the Porsche crest .jpeg to the Nav head unit, it finally looks official.... Hopefully ready for another 10 years. Below are some pictures.

Can you post the weight of that clutch package please?
Thx...

I wish I could tell you, but I never weighted it! What I can tell you it is made up of the 764PP, two 996TT OEM sprung discs and the LWF. Todd must machine a piece of steel to sandwich in there between the discs and I bet it weighs about 1/2 of the LWF...He did say it comes in about 1/2 way between the stand alone LWF set-up and the DMF set-up.

After driving the clutch today for the 1st time, I can tell you it has some serious clamp force. When it engages, it's like it's locked in gear. It's a little more on-off than what I had before, but it does allow feathering, it's just a short range of feathering and then it locks right up - drives great. I am going to have to get used to the LWF with the massive clamp force, but at least I will not have slippage in the fall or spring any more. I went through two 764/GT2 rigid disc set-ups and they could not hold the power in late fall or early spring when it dropped below 40 degrees. Had to do something different and this seemed to be the next best option.

I will see if I can find out the weight for you....
Old 04-06-2019, 09:57 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

From Todds site:

Description

Protomotive’s world renowned dual clutch, available currently for 993, 996 Turbo, 997.1 Turbo, 997.2 Turbo 6speed.

Doubling the capacity of the Sachs Stage 3 setup, while still driving like factory. We can use the 764 or 487(gt3) pressure plates or for a more conservative budget, use the stock pressure plate and still hold over 1000ftlbs without chatter or rattle.

Available as an upgrade to your Sachs Stage 3 setup. Send us your kit and for a fraction of the price, you can double your current torque capacity.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:16 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Fair enough, I can definitely relate to those thoughts. But my next question is - did you feel or notice any difference?? Also was there any trimming involved to fit this?

I did it for a few reasons:

1) I have done just about every bolt on performance upgrade possible (PSS-9, Hybrid turbos, injectors, dual fuel pumps, enlarged boost hoses, larger intercoolers, enlarged Y-Pipe, larger throttle body, matching IPD plenum, Hi-Flow intake plenum/fresh air pipes, exhaust, SSK, etc.) and I have been eyeing this mod for a few years, as one of the few remaining bolt on tweaks that I am aware of. I figured if it does anything, I'll take it. I have had the car so long, it keeps it interesting to do new performance upgrades.

2) Since I moved to the LWF, I figured now is the time to lighten the rotating mass. Coincidentally, after I purchased it, I was told it is recommended with a LWF.

But mainly, I wanted to do something new and there is not much left for my street use car...
Old 04-07-2019, 01:44 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=powdrhound;15755615]
After almost 10 years of trouble free use, it was time for some refreshing. I guess it was the 150K refresh (153K miles). The front radiators showed some signs of dried seeping coolant, so we installed the CSF Racing high performance one piece aluminum radiator set (no pressed seams like OEM), installed a Protomotive double clutch/764PP/LWF (all Porsche OEM components, 1000+HP holding power), installed GT3 style LW underdrive pulley, installed new wastegates, installed new diverters, installed new plugs, new air filter, 4 new tires, road force balance/alignment, smoke tested everything, cut GT2 rear decklid and fitted rubber seal for dual snorkel air box to newly fitted GT2 rear decklid, refreshed the powder coat on the Y-Pipe and finally uploaded the Porsche crest .jpeg to the Nav head unit, it finally looks official.... Hopefully ready for another 10 years. Below are some pictures.

Can you post the weight of that clutch package please?
Thx...
Here it is from Todd:

The entire package is 37lbs. Almost exactly half way between stock at 50+lbs and lw stage 3 at 25lbs. The clutch disc's, floater and housing at 13.5lbs.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:55 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
Fair enough, I can definitely relate to those thoughts. But my next question is - did you feel or notice any difference?? Also was there any trimming involved to fit this?
It is impossible to tell because I did it in conjunction with the lightweight flywheel and new clutch (moved from a dual mass flywheel), so everything is completely different. I had my tech do everything, therefore, I am not sure about the installation of the pulley, but as I understand it, it is a direct bolt on - no trimming or anything like that.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
how do you like kw?
They're probably firmer than most would like but they are adjustable and that’s how I wanted mine - aggresssive street and occasional track day. But the handling and turn in are incredible now. No more floaty front end. I was leaning towards the Ohlins but the shop I used was not comfortable recommending them based on past experience. They were confident with KW and Bilstein but the Bilsteins were on indefinite backorder. Overall, I’m happy with the feel and look of the lowered setup, right around GT2 height.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
They're probably firmer than most would like but they are adjustable and that’s how I wanted mine - aggresssive street and occasional track day. But the handling and turn in are incredible now. No more floaty front end. I was leaning towards the Ohlins but the shop I used was not comfortable recommending them based on past experience. They were confident with KW and Bilstein but the Bilsteins were on indefinite backorder. Overall, I’m happy with the feel and look of the lowered setup, right around GT2 height.
glad to hear it. I ordered the 996 gt3rs clubsport 3-way adjustable set and I’m super excited to get the car back. I’m sure you will have a blast. I have never had ohlins before but I hear they are really good. For racing they do need a bit of maintenance though. I think you will enjoy these more and more as they settle after the first thousand miles or so. I had kw v3 on a BMW 335i and the car drove like it was on rails and I didn’t notice any rougher ride. Cheers!
Old 04-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

glad to hear it. I ordered the 996 gt3rs clubsport 3-way adjustable set and I’m super excited to get the car back. I’m sure you will have a blast. I have never had ohlins before but I hear they are really good. For racing they do need a bit of maintenance though. I think you will enjoy these more and more as they settle after the first thousand miles or so. I had kw v3 on a BMW 335i and the car drove like it was on rails and I didn’t notice any rougher ride. Cheers!
Awesome, great to know and thanks for the feedback. I look forward to feeling how these settle over time.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:38 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,098 Posts

The car is getting full suspension upgrade to monoball with 3 way gt3 res clubsport dampers. New gt3rs front uprights (knuckles). All new motor, transmission, and subframe mounts will be installed.
If you are going to run 380 brakes, then install the 997.1GT3RS front uprights and not the 996GT3RS versions. Make sure you install the 6GT3RS rear wheel carriers also. I'm sure you know that the front RS uptight will drastically raise your front roll centers and you need the RS rears to complement the fronts.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

I finally changed the plastic rocker panel on the driver's side. I must have damaged it a while back while changing wheels and jacking it up one clip was broken. Last year I bought the part kept it in my garage and took off the old one yesterday to find the new one, once unwrapped I noticed 3 clips were broken on the new one. So I broke off 3 from the old one and used jb weld to glue them back on and after curing overnight put them on today. It is very easy to install and does not require a helper. I just drove up on some wood to raise it a little and went to work.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Just a fun drive and oil change for me and mine today.

Next up:

Guibo (hoping that fixes my on/off throttle "clank"), fuel filter, plugs & coils, boost leak test.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 AM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Put on a new OEM front lip. Looks so much better!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought it a 944 turbo for a garage mate...
Old 04-12-2019, 05:07 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I was going to get a set of Light Savers, but not at this price point. I sent them a message asking if it was a mistake. IIRC, it was $69.95 last week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Light-Saver...2/112199724755

Update- they replied and said they are out of inventory and is a placeholder.

Last edited by ipman; 04-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?