Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High mileage 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

A few more, exterior shots here were pre-wax...
Attached Images       
Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

Mother of God.

So you need a donor N/A 996 w/ full black interior but a blown motor, too. All of those interior bits are going to add up fast -- but if it's all part of your equation, and you're the type to want to upgrade the steering wheel, seats, etc., I would certainly still be tempted.

Radio is probably one of the easier/cheaper fixes, just get a refurb Becker or something aftermarket. Although -- why is the factory radio draining the battery??

I'm shocked at how good that exterior looks given the condition of the interior. A testament to Porsche's paint, I guess?

EDIT: Is the Puma sock included?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 PM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Mother of God.

So you need a donor N/A 996 w/ full black interior but a blown motor, too. All of those interior bits are going to add up fast -- but if it's all part of your equation, and you're the type to want to upgrade the steering wheel, seats, etc., I would certainly still be tempted.

Radio is probably one of the easier/cheaper fixes, just get a refurb Becker or something aftermarket. Although -- why is the factory radio draining the battery??

I'm shocked at how good that exterior looks given the condition of the interior. A testament to Porsche's paint, I guess?

EDIT: Is the Puma sock included?

Don't be fooled by paint quality in pics.. I have a 146k 996tt and the pics i can post UNEDITED right out of my phone make the car look 10x better than it does.. you won't see a single rock chip, swirl, scratch or mark in a pic..

Any 996tt in running condition if its clean title is worth 20k to me and if you don't buy it please pass on the info to a fellow rennlister and ill buy it.. I have 4 and ill buy a 5th at that price sight unseen, no PPI, don't care if it runs and drives..
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,536 Posts

If the interior was neglected like that how well do you think he maintained the mechanicals?

I would send an engine oil sample to Blackstone for analysis and have a compression test done before I bought it. If the engine checks out okay I would buy it.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 AM
greencalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
Seems to be the overwhelming consensus.
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
It is a track car.

Such a car is going to be a risk, but if one is inclined to DIY fixes, and don't care about resale value much, it might be a good purchase.

My car was a pretty similar proposition, right down to the pricing. Cleaning-up the interior took a lot of time, but was not all that pricy, once eBay was employed. In terms of replacement-part costs (and assuming that you just refinish all the plastic bits)(done properly, you can get them "good as new") you're probably looking at a few $k for the interior.

The open question is whether at $25k-$35k all-in (depending on what happens with the mechanical stuff), you could find something that was better than what you would end-up with.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:09 PM
JWILLI
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed. That car looks like a slob lived in it. Just needs a good cleaning and a little TLC. Still talking 18K so I still don't see a need to throw the car away and make it a track rat. PPI will answer the mechanical condition question in which you can most likely get the price further reduced. Or walk away.

And Manimal, you are confused because I did not acknowledge your point? I did not think I had to as it was clear I was addressing the exterior only and I did not want to write a paragraph response for such a simple statement I made. But to spell it out for you, I was only addressing half of your statement, the looks of the car, not the satisfaction of sitting in the interior. You want the car to look good, take care of the exterior and tint the windows to hide the interior. That was my point and my only point. Some people only want the status of owning a Porsche but they don't have the funds to buy a good example of the brand. This may be all the OP wanted and all I was addressing.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:14 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Understood, I didn't mean to come off as argumentative/condescending as I probably did.

To put it another way, though, the potential buyer who can't afford a nice example is exactly who should not be gambling on a cheap one. There's a reason I waited for a better example, and part of it is that I couldn't take the risk that a car like this represents.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Understood, I didn't mean to come off as argumentative/condescending as I probably did.

To put it another way, though, the potential buyer who can't afford a nice example is exactly who should not be gambling on a cheap one. There's a reason I waited for a better example, and part of it is that I couldn't take the risk that a car like this represents.
Agreed.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

No need to spend $20k on an engine rebuild, BTW. You can find a good used engine in the $10 to $12k range when the time comes.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:53 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Not to derail further, but since it's been such a great week in the 996TT forum, would a normally aspirated Mezger from a GT3 fit a Turbo? Has anyone done it or have any idea what it would take?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

LS6/7 swap would work here too...I have decided to pass on this. Its not about the money, I could afford a 991TT, I just really want the right car, and this isn't it for me. It's actually quite funny because I saw myself jumping on a car in similar condition at 25k let along 18k...and now that the time has come, I don't think the car is worth 15k to me. My gut tells me I'd be safe with the car at 18k, but I cannot get past what I've already seen.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 AM
MikeAWD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
LS6/7 swap would work here too...I have decided to pass on this. Its not about the money, I could afford a 991TT, I just really want the right car, and this isn't it for me. It's actually quite funny because I saw myself jumping on a car in similar condition at 25k let along 18k...and now that the time has come, I don't think the car is worth 15k to me. My gut tells me I'd be safe with the car at 18k, but I cannot get past what I've already seen.
Would you mind passing along the info for the car?? Thanks
Old 08-30-2018, 02:58 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

About to pass by 569,000 miles shortly...….
Old 08-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Greenking
Intermediate

Awesome! Congratulations on enjoying a sports car as it's meant to be.

🏎️🏎️🏎️👊👊👊😜😜😜
Old 08-30-2018, 03:50 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
About to pass by 569,000 miles shortly...….
OK T2, you know the rule - Pics or it never happened!

Seriously, I'd love to see some current pics of your car.

Quick Reply: High mileage 996 TT?