Sponsored by:

High mileage 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm sitting at 522,000 + miles...
T2 you are my hero. Have you contacted Excellence or PCA to let them know of you accomplishment?

Oh, I searched this thread for photos, but none of them worked. Oh well...

KC
Old 07-31-2017, 03:33 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I am debating on whether to take the plunge to a higher mileage 996TT now. As to be expected there are some good and bad things associated with buying a higher mileage TT. Below is my short list and I would love some feedback...

Car is coming from an Indy Shop - Freed Performance. Good is that it was the shop owners car, bad is that it has been for sale for some time, but has not sold yet. Shop owner is not selling the car directly, but a friend/customer of his is, which I find a bit odd. They are open to a PPI, and I have stated that I may be interested in a compression, leak down, and oil analysis test. Not sure if they are all necessary, and I am trying not to be overly cautious and obsessive, but I feel that it cant hurt.

I don't drive much, and don't care to pay a premium for a garage queen, as I will probably be letting my friends take the car if they desire. I am concerned with resale slightly, but it doesn't bother me to lose a little money either. I may keep the car for a long time or drive it for a year or so...I just don't know.
NO RECORDS on the car before the seller and shop owner took possession....

Car has some mods, which I like...but not sure if they are a bit too much as the car is pushing close to 500 whp.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-on-black.html

Pipes have been pinned/fixed
2nd gear pop out fixed
New Clutch and flywheel
New alt, plugs, and wires
Short Shifter
Rims
H&R Springs
EPL Tune?

With all this being said, would you move on the car, if so at what price? I'd hate to need to dump 7-10k into the car and then have all that money into a car with 150k miles.

I have an idea as to what it is worth to me, but what would you guys value it at?

Thanks in advance for all of your input.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:09 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your tests for your own piece of mind. I'd pay 33-34 for the car if the tires are new-ish. For your intended use this looks like it could be the right car.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:00 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Thanks, Hosewater...shop car could mean taken care of extremely well or ragged on...but the shop's reviews seem very good.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

it "reads" like a well modded car if thats what you want and "freed'" is fairly "known" and buying a shop owners car is *usually* a good idea when possible.. but i'd want some clarification on the motor, as the seller says the motor is "stock" but the ad copy said "3.8", but beyond that, could well be a terrific sunday/track car. but not a DD. as to miles, i just hit 145k miles in mine, without a care in the world.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 PM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
I am debating on whether to take the plunge to a higher mileage 996TT now. As to be expected there are some good and bad things associated with buying a higher mileage TT. Below is my short list and I would love some feedback...

Car is coming from an Indy Shop - Freed Performance. Good is that it was the shop owners car, bad is that it has been for sale for some time, but has not sold yet. Shop owner is not selling the car directly, but a friend/customer of his is, which I find a bit odd. They are open to a PPI, and I have stated that I may be interested in a compression, leak down, and oil analysis test. Not sure if they are all necessary, and I am trying not to be overly cautious and obsessive, but I feel that it cant hurt.

I don't drive much, and don't care to pay a premium for a garage queen, as I will probably be letting my friends take the car if they desire. I am concerned with resale slightly, but it doesn't bother me to lose a little money either. I may keep the car for a long time or drive it for a year or so...I just don't know.
NO RECORDS on the car before the seller and shop owner took possession....

Car has some mods, which I like...but not sure if they are a bit too much as the car is pushing close to 500 whp.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-on-black.html

Pipes have been pinned/fixed
2nd gear pop out fixed
New Clutch and flywheel
New alt, plugs, and wires
Short Shifter
Rims
H&R Springs
EPL Tune?

With all this being said, would you move on the car, if so at what price? I'd hate to need to dump 7-10k into the car and then have all that money into a car with 150k miles.

I have an idea as to what it is worth to me, but what would you guys value it at?

Thanks in advance for all of your input.
I think on the bright side, if the car is well sorted with no major problems on the horizon, you're never really going to lose much money. I doubt theres a functioning Turbo out there worth less than $30k, HOWEVER there are cars (for who knows how long) that are available for $45k ish with half the miles.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
it "reads" like a well modded car if thats what you want and "freed'" is fairly "known" and buying a shop owners car is *usually* a good idea when possible.. but i'd want some clarification on the motor, as the seller says the motor is "stock" but the ad copy said "3.8", but beyond that, could well be a terrific sunday/track car. but not a DD. as to miles, i just hit 145k miles in mine, without a care in the world.
Not a good Daily Driver...why? And where in the ad did you read 3.8? His signature shows 3.8L, but thats an 03' which I believe is the seller's car, not the one that is for sale.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:02 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I like the car - I would daily it as well however I wouldn't pay more than 30k for it simply because resale is going to suck...if you end up keeping it for a bit I think 30k is the right price even if you put 15k miles on it you won't lose too much on it. Just my opinion
Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Not a good Daily Driver...why? And where in the ad did you read 3.8? His signature shows 3.8L, but thats an 03' which I believe is the seller's car, not the one that is for sale.
my bad, and you're right, its a 3.6 motor w bolt on's.. the seller just replied to clarify the same for me in his FS thread. i was reading on a phone and inadvertently posted even in the fs thread. clickbait lol. was an easy mistake to make ( for me

but i say "not a dd" - which you could interpret as a gt3 isn't an optimal DD, which hasn't stopped my neighbor "caitlin" nee, bruce jenner in his/her gt3rs,.. so to each their own - but from appearances and mod list? most of the features that make a 996 turbo a suitable dd have been "modded out". so, to me, that FS listed car, is a weekend toy/track car. but that wouldn't deter me in the least if i were looking to buy an inexpensive example, and the mods would be a value added plus for me..

..and all that said, i'm sure it would start every time, if one wanted to dd it, and in point of fact, is probably a well maintained and worthwhile car. at least, on ( internet ) paper.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:34 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Daily Driving a 996 TT; may I suggest investing in oil stocks?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes
they burn a lot of ⛽️
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Freeds car wrapped in orange. This car was heavily modded in 15. If its stock now i would want to see vin matching #. Trans was blown at one point i know this car was raced in ga and fl for at least 3 yrs

https://youtu.be/qzhlodFEBTk
Old 08-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Indiana Jones
Pro

And on that note...I'm out. Thanks for this video!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Originally Posted by champignon
Daily Driving a 996 TT; may I suggest investing in oil stocks?

It wouldn't be my daily as I already have one, but I was wondering why it wouldn't be. City living...never driving more than say 5-10 miles, which takes about 45 min
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Q's911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wouldn't be my daily as I already have one, but I was wondering why it wouldn't be. City living...never driving more than say 5-10 miles, which takes about 45 min
I use my '02 996 TT as my daily driver & my love grows for this car every day! In my eyes this is the best damn vehicle ever made. These cars are made to be driven… I say drive the Sh*t out of it and they will reward you every day

Quick Reply: High mileage 996 TT?