Sponsored by:

High mileage 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like an amazing deal.

My only concern might be if the rep seats are a safety concern -- I don't know anything about them, though.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Greenking
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manimal
Congrats! Sounds like an amazing deal.

My only concern might be if the rep seats are a safety concern -- I don't know anything about them, though.
​​​​​​Thanks

The seats are from my understanding rottec gt rep seats. I have the oem seats but the are both ripped and show they're age. These seat really make the car feel more modern and hold you in place when taking corners.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Greenking
Intermediate

Thanks.

The seats are rottec gt rep seats. I have the oem seats but they are worn in and have rips in them. The gt seat make the car look more modern and really hug you when cornering.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenking
New to the Porsche world and jumped into a 02 turbo with 297k km ( 185k miles). I was looking for an E46 m3 convertible so I can go for rides with my wife and daughter on days we have time to hang out. I always had my eye on the 996 turbos but wasn't ready to spend $45k plus Canadian for a third car that would be driving periodically. But then I came across this high mileage turbo and once I drove it I fell in love. I payed $30k for the car. The car has some light mods including europipes exhaust, car is lowered but still haven't taken off the rims to see the suspension set. Short shifter. Gt2 clutch. 19 inch forged rims. Gt3 carbon fiber rep seats. Full Porsche carbon fiber interior trim. The car is so much fun and I have already put 3000 km with no issues... Except for the abs and psm light during on right after I purchased it. I purchased a durometric so I can checked the code and read right passenger sensor. The car is not perfect but for that many km I feel the car is great. Now that I own my first turbo I'm so glad I took the chance on the high km. Also reading this thread and seeing what T2 has accomplished. My car is just broken in.

02 turbo with 297 km
Nicely equipped.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, congrats. $30k cdn? If so, that might be the cheapest 996 Turbo ever bought, even if that's US, it's cheap . Start a new thread about your psm abs issue, we might be able to help.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Greenking
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Wow, congrats. $30k cdn? If so, that might be the cheapest 996 Turbo ever bought, even if that's US, it's cheap . Start a new thread about your psm abs issue, we might be able to help.

30k Canadian. I almost didn't get the car as I saw the add on the internet and contacted the seller but initially I was deterred by the high kms. I looked the next day to look at the add and it was gone. Then I realized I missed out on a great buy. So I contacted the seller as I had his contact info from the day before and ask if the car is still available. He informed me that there is a buyer coming at 3pm to look at the car. I don't him I can come take a look at the car before that as I was in the area the add was posted in. The seller had the car listed for 30k and advised me that he came to a verbal agreement for $ 26.5k with the potential buyer at 3pm. That even sounded better then 30k so I told him let me come take a look at the car and the rest is history. I know the buyer at 3 was not happy at all but I know sometimes you have to be first to the gate or you can loose out on a deal. The seller was the second owner and had all service records from the time he purchased it. He drove it as DD and took it to a very reputable shop here in Toronto. Had a PPi done and I was satisfied with it. Car came with new rear rotors and tires as that's what it need to pass certification. At the sellers expense. I have purchased some parts from other 996 turbo owners and it's really a pleasure to talk with them. Always willing to help and give advice. Great group of car enthusiast

I have checked some forms about the abs/psm issues and there is good write ups, I just have to get around to it.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:06 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

$26.5k CAD, jesus.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:38 PM
greencalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by manimal
$26.5k CAD, jesus.
Yow! That is a deal.

Given that my car needed a clutch job, and a lot of cosmetic clean-up, it handily beats what I paid for my 142k-mile example.

Good to see another seasoned car "dodge" being turned into a track-car...
Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Just looked at an 01' 996TT...Silver with black leather - 160k miles on the clock.

The Bad:
Interior is trashed more or less.
Spoiler is throwing a code, as is the brake sensor.
Front end was recently redone due to a light front end fender bender (still has original hood)...but received a new bumper/lip, headlights etc. Car was also keyed at one point, but was repaired...paint work was sloppy as I noticed some overspray.
Curbed Rims
160k miles on the motor and it does burn through quite a bit of oil...owner was transparent and estimated he puts in 2 quarts 2-3 times per year.
Sunroof is dropped a bit in one corner and does not close flush.
2nd gear popout

The Good:
Clean Title
Presents Well (Exterior)
New tires
New headlights
New brakes and refresh on suspension
996TT for $20k maybe a bit less
2 owner car with no major accidents
Gt2 turbos/diverter valves/chipped
Reputable shops have maintained the car to some degree, but as of the past several years a smaller indy mechanic cares for the car who does not have a reputation for better or worse...

Not sure what to do so I came to the gods seeking advice. Owner is at 20k maybe a touch less...but my fear is 5k on interior, 20k on a rebuild...and I still have a car with 160k on the clock that has had paint work etc...not sure its worth any amount of money or if it's even worth a PPI.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Some will say buy any 996TT for $20k that runs with a clean title...others say there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. I tend to lean towards the latter. I know I could snag the car and flip it and make some money, but that's not my style. I love these cars and I don't believe in inflating the market unnecessarily. I am just seeking sound advice as to what Rennlisters would do!?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

That's a tough one!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds rough as ****. I don't think you'd get a lot more than $20k at all.

Could make a good basis for a track car if that's your thing.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

I spoke with a few reputable shops and they all had the same reaction, "track car only" or "run away"

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Sounds rough as ****. I don't think you'd get a lot more than $20k at all.

Could make a good basis for a track car if that's your thing.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,536 Posts

It is a track car.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Seems to be the overwhelming consensus.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera