Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm? Equal to Boyer. Faster than me.

Originally Posted by 38D
I think I have a fairly low ego for this sport.
I don't think so!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 822 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hmmm? Equal to Boyer. Faster than me.

I don't think so!
I said fairly low
Old 07-21-2006, 11:06 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just couldn't resist chiming in, and this from an armchair racer ...

Larry - I've watched your GT3 video from WG several times. Very impressive!

38D - is fast and has become faster since he started racing the past year.

Boyer - He is fast!!! Yup, I was hoping that NobleGt3 would have raced against him in his "measly 260 hp 964" to find out just how fast.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:19 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we close this thread down now then? Btw, I never said "sub 1.30", I said I've seen him run 1.30 (flat). What I was wrong to say is "stock" GT3, given the many mods (ie RS-type mods) that the car had.

Greetings from Bangkok btw!
Old 07-22-2006, 09:20 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fryd
Can we close this thread down now then? Btw, I never said "sub 1.30", I said I've seen him run 1.30 (flat). What I was wrong to say is "stock" GT3, given the many mods (ie RS-type mods) that the car had.

Greetings from Bangkok btw!
We can put it to bed if you stop perpetuating unsubstantiated BS. I would think that after only posting a 1:38, you would realize that the 1:30 just ain't there. If Larry Herman ran 2:07s at the Glen in a stock GT3 on slicks, then he could roughly run low 1:33s/high 1:32s at Mosport. There is no way that Nobel is nearly 3 seconds faster than Larry, especially with Larry on slicks and Nobel on MPSCs. Heck, a legit pro (Murray, Henzler, Bergmeister, etc.) wouldn't be 3 seconds faster than Larry.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
We can put it to bed if you stop perpetuating unsubstantiated BS. I would think that after only posting a 1:38, you would realize that the 1:30 just ain't there. If Larry Herman ran 2:07s at the Glen in a stock GT3 on slicks, then he could roughly run low 1:33s/high 1:32s at Mosport. There is no way that Nobel is nearly 3 seconds faster than Larry, especially with Larry on slicks and Nobel on MPSCs. Heck, a legit pro (Murray, Henzler, Bergmeister, etc.) wouldn't be 3 seconds faster than Larry.
how does 1.38 in a street car at a track day with 3 passing zones equal anything?? and lap times at watkins dont mean anything at any other track....this shows how silly you PCA lovers are if that is what you believe...just PM me when at mosport ( not some gayass PCA boring wrinkly *** old fart club event) and i will come out to settle it.until then go find another man to flirt with
Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
and lap times at watkins dont mean anything at any other track....this shows how silly you PCA lovers are if that is what you believe...
Noble, it means everything. Do the analysis and you might be surprised how consistent laptime comparisons are between tracks. Take for example the following data points:

Scotto (one of the best drivers in PCA)
Burger (near equal of Scotto)
Boyer (me)
Brensinger (one of the top 2 PCA B class GT3 racers I'm a aware of)
Mazzola (your nemesis in this thread)

When comparing their own personal times between tracks you see there are distinct trends:

% of time between Mosport best lap and Watkins Glen best lap:
Scotto: 73%
Burger: 73%
Boyer: 73%
Mazzola: 73%

How about, Lime Rock to Watkins Glen:
Scotto: 215%
Burger: 216%
Mazzola: 215%

How about Watkins Glen to Road America:
Boyer: 119%
Brensinger: 119%

Now, keep in mind that across this group we are running on Hoosiers, MPSCs, and Yoko slicks. Cars range in power from 260hp to 390hp. Basically regardless of car type and setup, relative times are meaningful. Fact is, the relative times between the same drivers in the same cars at different tracks is extremely consistent. It is so consistent that I think it is an accurate predictor of laptimes.

So, for that reason, I can predict that Brensinger would run a 1:34.85 at Mosport. That is in his B stock prepared (basically free suspension, wheels, etc) GT3 on Hoosiers (debatedly better than MPSCs). Are you 4-5 seconds faster than Brensinger and his car? Highly unlikely, thus my contention with the sub 1:30's (or 1:30s) prediction without proof. Perhaps it is remotely possible you're that fast, but show me the proof.

Btw, based on my modeling, your 1:38 would be a 2:14 at Watkins Glen. That is a great time on street tires. I should know, as I ran in the 2:14s when driving my Turbo 3.6 on stock suspension and crappy Dunlop tires also in a DE environment with limited passing (similar power in the Turbo (355hp), but heavier, less aero, inferior gearing, etc., to the 997S)...

As for putting down PCA events, particularly PCA Club Races, let me know what driving schools/open track sessions you're at where you can mix it up with pros like Wolf Henzler and Leh Keen and perhaps I'll come participate.

Oh, and my modeling suggests that I will run in the 1:34s in my Porsche-rated 260hp 964 when I'm at Mosport next weekend (first time there with this car). 1:34 < 1:38...
Old 07-22-2006, 06:29 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
As for putting down PCA events, particularly PCA Club Races, let me know what driving schools/open track sessions you're at where you can mix it up with pros like Wolf Henzler and Leh Keen and perhaps I'll come participate.
...and Kevin Buckler and Cory Friedman. Not to mention amatures that also race in pro series like Gary Grisby, Terry Heath, Mike Bavaro, and Michael Vong.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
When comparing their own personal times between tracks you see there are distinct trends:

% of time between Mosport best lap and Watkins Glen best lap:
Scotto: 73%
Burger: 73%
Boyer: 73%
Mazzola: 73%

How about, Lime Rock to Watkins Glen:
Scotto: 215%
Burger: 216%
Mazzola: 215%

How about Watkins Glen to Road America:
Boyer: 119%
Brensinger: 119%
Using these same ratios, a person that does run 1:30.0 at Mosport would run the following times at other tracks:

Lime Rock: 57.5
Watkins Glen: 2:04.5
Road America: 2:27.5

until then go find another man to flirt with
You might want to consider some therapy, as nearly every post of yours seems to end in some homoerotic theme.

Last edited by 38D; 07-22-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:10 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
...and Kevin Buckler and Cory Friedman. Not to mention amatures that also race in pro series like Gary Grisby, Terry Heath, Mike Bavaro, and Michael Vong.
..and Jon Groom, Ricardo Imery, Randy Pobst
Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

[QUOTE=DrJupeman]Noble, it means everything. Do the analysis and you might be surprised how consistent laptime comparisons are between tracks. Take for example the following data points:

[QUOTE]

any true racer will tell you lap times at one track mean nothing at another..if you are fast you are fast but everyone has their favorite tracks or track they will excel at and others they suck at.
i put down PCA events because the DE sessions are geared towards beginners primarily and after hearing silly lectures for hours with low track time, being told that helmets are dangerous because they make you feel safe so you go to fast on track by PCA instructors, and seeing Botho von Bose run over at a skid pad event because he thought standing in the way of a speeding car on wet tarmac was a good training tool ( PCA covered that up and now botho is on the board)...im convinced PCA is a waste of time for the most part. as far as top events where pro racers are...www.dexterautosport.com and www.6thgear.ca
both offer all day open track with all kinds at the events but mostly decent or better drivers. PM or email when you guys are at the track it should be fun to drive together
Old 07-24-2006, 11:07 AM
guykoken
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason:

Bartling Group 88, of which Michael Vong is the principal owner, has Mosport on August 4, 5, 6 and 9. You will be welcome to attend on any day . Contact info is:

Bartling Group 88 – 905-707-1167

Perhaps you can arrange a match race, just you and one other car. The race, including qualifying, would take not more than an hour. Fifteen minutes for each car, alone on the track, to qualify, with the winner getting the pole position; a ten minute rest period; a one lap warm up and a twenty minute race, with an early finish if one car leads the other by more than half a lap. The cars can be rented from Barling Group 88. I'm sure the other participants that day would be willing to take an hour off to witness the spectacle. You should try to rustle up a competitor, and let us know at this post if it's going to happen and when. If so, I'll be there, to watch.

Richard Bain.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

any true racer will tell you lap times at one track mean nothing at another..if you are fast you are fast but everyone has their favorite tracks or track they will excel at and others they suck at.
Wrong. Only inconsistent racers are good at some tracks and suck at others. Legitimately good racers are fast everywhere.

i put down PCA events because the DE sessions are geared towards beginners primarily and after hearing silly lectures for hours with low track time, being told that helmets are dangerous because they make you feel safe so you go to fast on track by PCA instructors, and seeing Botho von Bose run over at a skid pad event because he thought standing in the way of a speeding car on wet tarmac was a good training tool ( PCA covered that up and now botho is on the board)...im convinced PCA is a waste of time for the most part. as far as top events where pro racers are...www.dexterautosport.com and www.6thgear.ca both offer all day open track with all kinds at the events but mostly decent or better drivers. PM or email when you guys are at the track it should be fun to drive together
We have been talking about PCA Club Racing not PCA Drivers Education. I will be the first to agree that most PCA DEs are not filled with very fast people, even in the instructor run groups. But come to a PCA race and I think you will find things just a wee bit different. I personally find all Des to be pathetically slow, PCA or otherwise. Even when “pros” show up, they never seem to be very fast. Maybe DrJupeman can upload his video of chasing down 3 GrandAm series cars in his Boxster S from a couple of years ago (a BMW, a Caddy and a Nissan 350Z if memory serves).

I will PM you to find out your schedule for the rest of the year. I can’t do Mosport, as it is just too far for me to haul my butt up there more than 1x per year.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by guykoken
Jason:

Bartling Group 88, of which Michael Vong is the principal owner, has Mosport on August 4, 5, 6 and 9. You will be welcome to attend on any day . Contact info is:

Bartling Group 88 – 905-707-1167

Perhaps you can arrange a match race, just you and one other car. The race, including qualifying, would take not more than an hour. Fifteen minutes for each car, alone on the track, to qualify, with the winner getting the pole position; a ten minute rest period; a one lap warm up and a twenty minute race, with an early finish if one car leads the other by more than half a lap. The cars can be rented from Barling Group 88. I'm sure the other participants that day would be willing to take an hour off to witness the spectacle. You should try to rustle up a competitor, and let us know at this post if it's going to happen and when. If so, I'll be there, to watch.

Richard Bain.
sounds good i will contact him

Quick Reply: Re-gearing for Mosport