Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-gearing for Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006 | 02:50 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

A 996 GT3 with MPSC is not 8 seconds faster than a 997S with MPS2 on a 90 secs course. At least not in this planet.
Old 07-20-2006 | 03:19 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Totally agree db_gt3 except for a few points...we Canucks did not get much snow last year so I could not drive the sleds at 200kph at the lake...hence need the track for speed. I hear you yankees have the same need for speed (water, snow or asphalt). Are you guys different in Malibu?
Going as fast as one can (ie within your limits and the vehicles) is absolutely what DE lapping events are for and not necessariliy a sure fire way to shunt it. So given what I saw, and the courteous and skilled drivers who participate at these events, the only shunts were a Comp Coupe owner who had his o mile car on the track for set up.

Actually, the only think to prove is that when you are accused of being blatent liar, you may be motivated to actually put your money and humility up for scrutiny - I think Noble did that and was honest about his result.
Also, I do not recall that Noble said he was ever faster than a pro. However, others suggested that he should take up racing.
One thing we all agree on: Our porsches is there are to have fun - my now "converted" friend was just levelled by the feed back, naturalness in which Noble's 997s behaved - a new Porsche owner and believer was born.
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:21 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by LVDell
Brass ones Noble, brass ones
thats nice thanks!!
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Welcome
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:27 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A 996 GT3 with MPSC is not 8 seconds faster than a 997S with MPS2 on a 90 secs course. At least not in this planet.

true....how much time is made up with MPSC,lighter weight,lighter wheels,bigger brakes,higher redline, More power, taller gearing,more downforce, agressive alignment, limited slip diff,seats and harnesses and an extra 30 KMH down the big straight?? lots...
i think that is the fair question not just tires...it aint even the same car....and it aint a 90 second course depending on what car and what driver..
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:45 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
true....how much time is made up with MPSC,lighter weight,lighter wheels,bigger brakes,higher redline, More power, taller gearing,more downforce, agressive alignment, limited slip diff,seats and harnesses and an extra 30 KMH down the big straight?? lots...
i think that is the fair question not just tires...it aint even the same car....and it aint a 90 second course depending on what car and what driver..
Let's play with estimates. You ran 1:38 with traffic, with a possible 1:36 (as posted by you) without traffic.

At Pocono North (60 secs course), the track I've driven the most, MPSC are 1.5 sec faster than MPS2 in my GT3. A theoretical 2.25 secs difference on a 90 secs course, so the 997S you drove could have been running highs 1:33s on MPSC.

That's fast for a stock 997S, but dropping 3 extra secs by driving a GT3? naah....
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:50 PM
mdex
Racer

I hate to be sucked in here, and for what it is worth having beet at a few track days with NobleGT3, I would like to interject the following;

1. Noble never claimed a 1:30… that was left to well meaning others. The original point on this thread was that his thoughts on gear selection were valid because he is quick.

2. Noble may be a bit of an *** in the forums, but is a stand up guy unlike most people we meet.

3. I would think that a 1:30 is possible in a set up street GT3 at Mosport… I seem to remember that Goodbody was turning 1:32’s in his GT3.

4. 1:38’s??? You woman, get your head outta your horses ***… you are slipping…. I think there are Boxsters turning those times!

Marc
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:53 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Right on brother; trust me we are all about going fast out here. I just don't like it when there is someone with something to prove on the the track with me. Usually leads to stupidity. Lets not beat this one to death; just trying to have fun with you guys at what is hopefully the end of a much belabored post.

Thoase ice sleds look fun. Ever do the traction kite/snowboard thing?
Old 07-20-2006 | 04:55 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

There was definately more time out of that car. Donno if there was 8 seconds, but I bet there was 4ish.

Ive seen stockish S2000s do 1:39 lap after lap.

Regardless, sounds like a wickedly fun day. I was there on Tuesday for open lapping ($300 with only 10 cars!!! No one showed!!!) but I was wishing that Id hit the Wednesday day instead....
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Bio....what's with that avitar pic? poor judgement.
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:11 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by mdex
I hate to be sucked in here, and for what it is worth having beet at a few track days with NobleGT3, I would like to interject the following;

1. Noble never claimed a 1:30… that was left to well meaning others. The original point on this thread was that his thoughts on gear selection were valid because he is quick.

2. Noble may be a bit of an *** in the forums, but is a stand up guy unlike most people we meet.

3. I would think that a 1:30 is possible in a set up street GT3 at Mosport… I seem to remember that Goodbody was turning 1:32’s in his GT3.

4. 1:38’s??? You woman, get your head outta your horses ***… you are slipping…. I think there are Boxsters turning those times!

Marc

hahahaha....i have some excuses...i havent been on track a year...there was traffic...i had a hangnail.....my thong was riding up.....there was traffic!!!!

and now that you quoted 1.32 you better get ready for the naysayers....
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:17 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Let's play with estimates. You ran 1:38 with traffic, with a possible 1:36 (as posted by you) without traffic.

At Pocono North (60 secs course), the track I've driven the most, MPSC are 1.5 sec faster than MPS2 in my GT3. A theoretical 2.25 secs difference on a 90 secs course, so the 997S you drove could have been running highs 1:33s on MPSC.

That's fast for a stock 997S, but dropping 3 extra secs by driving a GT3? naah....
mosport is a huge wide open high speed track if you dont already know....30 KMH on the straight alone would make a huge difference and the braking points were so much longer on the S...my brakes are screwed today too and in the GT3 they never were. on a tight track like pocono north you would be right...at mosport it would be a bigger gap...and yes i have been on pocono north...**** it i have to buy another GT3...MDEX likes being passed with cat and muffler bypass...his brain melted last year when i did that
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:19 PM
mdex
Racer

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
hahahaha....i have some excuses...i havent been on track a year...there was traffic...i had a hangnail.....my thong was riding up.....there was traffic!!!!

and now that you quoted 1.32 you better get ready for the naysayers....
Well, guess I will have all the experts after me now... The horror

By my calculations you couldnt have done better then a 2:38.. you arent a club racer... it was a wednesday... i bet that the thong wasnt nomex... put it all together, you are obviously slow and just tryin to be a big man in here!
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:27 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
Bio....what's with that avitar pic? poor judgement.
Im hooked on the "Go Fast Crack Pipe". Common saying for when you add forced induction to a car.
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ah, makes sense. But at first look it doesn't say that which is what I was referring to. Just comes across as a very innaproriate pic.

Quick Reply: Re-gearing for Mosport