Sponsored by:

99 C2 Code P1531 Variocam Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

If the valves open and close early that there will be no contact between the piston and them. That’s how you can have deviation and no bent valves. Happened to a friend of mine. When he put his engine back together, he missed the cam timing on Bank 2 (intake cam) and had it off by one tooth. Took use some time to finally be 100% sure that the issue was mechanical and not something sensor related. After pulling the valve cover and checking the cam timing it was clear that he missed it by 1 tooth. His intake valves on Bank2 were opening and closing too soon. Engine was misfiring in that bank but no bent valves. After he re set it, the engine ran perfect and has been ever since (since Christmas).
Old 04-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Great anecdote - And the key is it was both misfiring and showing excessive deviation on Durametric on the same Bank ?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Since I already hijacked the OP’s thread with my own, nearly identical issue, I dipped the car off today for repair. They are reporting cam deviation “the worst they’ve ever seen” at 27 degrees. “Cannot believe it even runs,” they said. Strange, since Durametric has always reported only about 2 degrees, maybe 3 worst case. They are going to have to investigate further, but have said not to be surprised if this becomes a can of worms at 60k miles and 20 years on the it.

They are going to remove & disassemble engine oil filter, replace engine filter & set oil level to spec. remove and replace cam plugs to verify camshaft timing is within spec, inspect cam solenoid for function/sticking. report results with recommendations.
Sounds like the little green o-ring has failed on the cam adjuster and stuck at full advance(25 degree crank).The extra 2 degrees was probably just initial setting. Schnell Gelb is an expert on this subject !!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,059 Posts

They need more time now to test. They pulled the oil filter and did not find metal (good). There was some tiny small debris, looking like silicon sealant, some chain guide material, and some other very hard dark black plastic bits. Very small. The was one big problem, though, the bypass control valve was missing from the canister. Oh my. That must mean that oil was not being filtered, and possibly why now the actuator for the cam could be stuck.

However, they are getting strange results or maybe a combination of things. They checked base timing to be good (crank to IMS, and ISM to camshafts). However, bank 1 solenoid showing 60 ohms compared to bank 2,which is 11.7 ohms. When they manually activate from the DME solenoid bank 1, from rest, there's 10V and 12.5V when activated. Bank 2 is 0V at rest and 12.5V when activated

Therefore, there are testing the DME, as someone already pointed out is a common issue.

The good news is that they are running a battery of tests instead of replacing parts.

EDIT: They just called me to tell me that it's either a bad wire or the ECU. After they removed the DME from the equation, all solenoids and timing are in good shape. So, mechanically, I think we are in good shape.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 04-24-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

I have my old OEM filter assembly if you want it. I am not sure if the bypass valve is in the plastic part that houses the filter or not, but I think it is.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

They should have tested the wiring for the solenoids a long time ago. The proper process is that you start at the solenoid (with a 9V battery) and work your way back. That’s how I did it.

Was the bypass valve in the filter housing removed? You can get a new one, comes with a filter, from your dealer for very cheap.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
They should have tested the wiring for the solenoids a long time ago. The proper process is that you start at the solenoid (with a 9V battery) and work your way back. That’s how I did it.

Was the bypass valve in the filter housing removed? You can get a new one, comes with a filter, from your dealer for very cheap.
I agree. I told my former mechanic (who quit and now drives a truck) exactly how to do it. Shame on me for using him I guess. But Midwest Performance Cars could have checked this, too, although I didn’t go an explain how to do it, for fear of appearing to know more than they do (that’s extremely annoying when a customer comes off as an expert). However, they only did a 1-hr initial test, so the 2nd time round, they are spending more time doing it properly. Maybe they won’t charge me for all the hours they consumed because they could have tested easier/quicker, we will see.

As for the bypass in the filter, they already reinstalled the filter and included the bypass valve.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
They are going to need to manual check timing now instead of going off the measured values from PIWIS...

For what it’s worth regarding Durametric, Al UscinskI who works for Chicago Performance and Tuning said that he never uses Durametric because he couldn’t trust it. He said this after I told him that I’ve check my cam deviations in the past and they were fine. He said he has been screwed before not using the right tools. This is the first I’ve heard the Durametric couldn’t be trusted. But if the DME is simply reporting to Durametric, how can we fault Durametric for this. I also wonder how the timing could be that far off with an interference engine and not have caused damage.
Going back to this, you did not check the cam deviations after you had the check engine light, so you don't know if Durametric has ever read them wrong before, especially based on Porschetech's post about the 24 degrees + the 2 previous degrees recorded. Just curious to see if this is correct, and if so, the Durametric most likely is reading correctly.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Going back to this, you did not check the cam deviations after you had the check engine light, so you don't know if Durametric has ever read them wrong before, especially based on Porschetech's post about the 24 degrees + the 2 previous degrees recorded. Just curious to see if this is correct, and if so, the Durametric most likely is reading correctly.
I actually did, thanks to you letting me borrow the Durametric. So yeah, Durametric appears to have read the correct values.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

So the most recent update from Chis and MPC is this:

- the mechanical base timing is correct- the resistance of each solenoid, spec = 13.6 ohm. Bank 1 = 15.4 ohm, B2 = 11.7 ohm- checking voltage with the solenoids connected and manually activating through the DME, B1 = 10.4v then up to 12.46 when activated. B2 = 0V then 12.46V when activatedWe believed the B1 solenoid was shorting in the wiring or at the DME, or the DME was attempting to activate the solenoid to compensate for an issue between the B1 exhaust and intake came.- measuring resistance, we found no short to ground in the wire from the DME to the B1 cam solenoid- with the solenoid disconnected, the engine seems to run a bit better- when manually jumping the solenoid, the solenoid activates correctly- with the timing okay & solenoid activating, we're pointing at the DME which is likely shorted internally causing the B1 cam solenoid to stay activated with 10.5V. 996 DMEs are no longer available new, only remanufactured by Porsche. Given the time and cost, we're looking at options to have your DME removed and sent out to be rebuilt. The risk is if the re-builder blows out any pertinent information or VIN specific information.We'll likely have some options and pricing for you tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

ECU Doctors in Florida may be a useful resource??
Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I may give them a try.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

So my bill to investigate all this stuff came to about 7 hrs of labor. Does that seem too high or normal? The DME for my cab has to have the service position access and all that tracing of wires and cam timing stuff took a lot of time they said.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:53 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I can't say it sounds unreasonable. If it took 3 hours I would say you are the luckiest person in the world. I know when I am troubleshooting something, it takes a lot longer than you think.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Mike: Did you ever resolve the issue? Let us know!

Quick Reply: 99 C2 Code P1531 Variocam Solenoid