Sponsored by:

99 C2 Code P1531 Variocam Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 01:54 PM
thebutterson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You are 100% that is what is happening or are you making a guess?
The actuator was diagnosed by two local Porsche shops. The explanation of what's happening came from the first. No, I am not 100% sure if an internal component of the engine is bleeding down oil pressure when it sits.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by thebutterson
Pelican has a good diy for this job. Doing the solenoid doesn't seem too bad. I just picked up a '99 throwing the same code, but this car has been diagnosed as having a bad actuator/tensioner which is a lot more work and more costly. My car has a bit of a rattle on startup and I'm told the actuator is bleeding down when the car is off, so the dme sees the cam timing off on startup very shortly until oil pressure builds back up.
My car also rattles/knocks on cold start. A lot of 99s do that. I can almost eliminate the noise if I drive off immediately. The longer you wait after start, the longer it takes for heat and oil pressure to build up. The tensioner are at the end of the oil circuit, so it will take time to get the pressure at the tensioner. I’ll let you know if my tensioner pads are a problem for my code (P1530), but I’m expecting pads that look OK.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

In theory leaking lifters may also contribute some noise.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
So I had them do this, and here’s what they found: “the culprit is an internal short in bank 1 cam solenoid”

They want $2600 to fix it. This is after the $1500 I already spent on the other work that led up to this. How did they not find this short a long time ago?
Glad my suggestion accurately confirmed what the culprit is. Hope you can now get it resolved for a reasonable amount of $$$ ...

PS:Edit: Why would anyone assume that this will not fix the problem??? The 10v residual voltage moved to the other bank after swapping the pins at the DME, and the wiring was already confirmed/tested. Unless you have absolutely no faith in their troubleshooting/testing ability, this should be case closed (except for the actual repair)..
Old 06-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

No, no! Make sure it is crystal clear with the mechanic what happens if the part and labour doesn't fix the problem. You will not have the leverage at that point but the shop will since they have the car and can easily slap a mechanic's lean on it if things go sideways.
They are not going to give me an answer to a question like this, other than ‘it depends on why’ the solenoid didn’t fix it. Their approach all along on this is to pay by the hour for services rendered. They are eating 8 hours already. If this doesn’t fix the issue, then they have 2 misdiagnoses, or else it’s the pads or tensioner itself. None of these results is terribly bad. I would have to pay for the tensioner or pads. They would have to eat a 2nd misdiagnosis.

I get what you are saying, but if it comes to things being held hostage, that’s not good for anyone, but especially not good for them. I have documented this whole process and they are being reasonable.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:59 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

They are working with me on this.

^^ That's fair on their part - good luck, I hope it works out for you. You must be dying to drive your car...
Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Glad my suggestion accurately confirmed what the culprit is. Hope you can now get it resolved for a reasonable amount of $$$ ...

PS:Edit: Why would anyone assume that this will not fix the problem??? The 10v residual voltage moved to the other bank after swapping the pins at the DME, and the wiring was already confirmed/tested. Unless you have absolutely no faith in their troubleshooting/testing ability, this should be case closed (except for the actual repair)..
I appreciate it - thanks. I agree this should resolve it, but sometimes basket case situations just get worse and worse and worse. My car is pretty clean, though, so a I don’t expect surprises, even though they do. They said, you’d be surprised what we find once we open it up. They even suggested the exhaust bolts will likely break when they take the header off. While this is true, I have a suspicion mine won’t. The car just doesn’t have rust or any other issues. We shall see.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

They are not going to give me an answer to a question like this, other than ‘it depends on why’ the solenoid didn’t fix it. Their approach all along on this is to pay by the hour for services rendered. They are eating 8 hours already. If this doesn’t fix the issue, then they have 2 misdiagnoses, or else it’s the pads or tensioner itself. None of these results is terribly bad. I would have to pay for the tensioner or pads. They would have to eat a 2nd misdiagnosis.

I get what you are saying, but if it comes to things being held hostage, that’s not good for anyone, but especially not good for them. I have documented this whole process and they are being reasonable.
I really do wish you good luck as seems that you have anything but, with this car.....for now. There is a systematic way to diagnose something like this and if the proper steps are not followed or if they start jumping around and guessing then things like this happen. Doesn't help when the customer starts calling the shots either, I know you meant well but this can confuse even the best mechanics. This is an electrical circuit issue so someone that is really good with circuits should be looking at this using an accurate wiring diagram and and a very good understanding how to check them.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:33 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Just letting everyone know that my car is fixed. The P1530 code, after all, was a bad solenoid on the bank 1 actuator.

The mechanic said that the tensioner pads looked good, too.

The exhaust bolts all came out fine without breaking - what I consider to be a testament to the previous 18 years of garage queen ownership. No rain, no salt, no winter, driving.

They didn’t think much about the cold start rattle and said that a lot of these cars do that.

The engine purrs like a kitten smoothly now and seems to have full power as before.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 07-01-2019 at 06:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
jasmanjr (01-26-2021), Porschetech3 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Mike-

That is awesome to hear! Too bad it took so long and $$$$. What's this no winter driving? I see you driving around all the time!

Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Just letting everyone know that my car is fixed. The P1530 code, after all, was a bad solenoid on the bank 1 actuator.

The mechanic said that the tensioner pads looked good, too.

The exhaust bolts all came out fine without breaking - what I consider to be a testament to the previous 20 years of garage queen ownership. No rain, no salt, no winter, driving.

They didn’t think much about the cold start rattle and said that a lot of these cars do that.

The engine purrs like a kitten smoothly now and seems to have full power as before.
Excellent !! Glad you got it fixed and posted the conclusion, so many threads are left hanging it's good to see some conclusions.. !!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Mike-

That is awesome to hear! Too bad it took so long and $$$$. What's this no winter driving? I see you driving around all the time!

Yeah, I kinda feel bad for the people who owned the car and ‘saved it’ by not driving it in the winter, only for me to say forget that noise - I’m driving it in all weather conditions!

Then again, it’s a 911, it’s meant to be driven
Old 07-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I'm glad they finally found what they were supposed to find on the first day of diagnosis. Did they leave the old pads in?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I'm glad they finally found what they were supposed to find on the first day of diagnosis. Did they leave the old pads in?
Yes, they left the tensioner pads alone. I would not have wanted to spend the money on preventative replacement anyway.

To be honest, I know some 911s need to have the tensioner pads replaced on different models over the years, but to me, this is an unacceptable design problem that no engine should have. So I’m glad to hear that mine was just fine. I didn’t ask them to look at the other side or the pads further down into the engine.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Yes, they left the tensioner pads alone. I would not have wanted to spend the money on preventative replacement anyway.

To be honest, I know some 911s need to have the tensioner pads replaced on different models over the years, but to me, this is an unacceptable design problem that no engine should have. So I’m glad to hear that mine was just fine. I didn’t ask them to look at the other side or the pads further down into the engine.
Every engine ever made with chain pads sooner or later will have a problem as they are a wear item.The way the pads exert pressure, one wears faster than the other so just because the top one looks good doesn't mean the bottom one does too. I can't remember if the top or the bottom wears faster in your case but next time, have a look at both.

Quick Reply: 99 C2 Code P1531 Variocam Solenoid