996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought KK's car(long story...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C4911, a bit off-topic man....but you were on the 996 forum for a long time. And simple cross-referencing shows that you posted/were on the board on the same days as KK was posting his "fix" suggestions.

You had a 99 996 and you posted quiet a lot on this forum. How did you miss KrazyKs posts and not know who he is? You didn't bother researching his "history" on the forum? You posted in his "car sold" thread that you bought it from him, so I assume you did some due diligence on his "engine drops"?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...or-sale-3.html
Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 AM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Why do lawyers in the US have to sue everybody for everything? It's a used car for god's sake!
Disagree ... Would you be willing to allow buyers to perform invasive inspections to your car (as a seller) to discover deceptions like this, ie. dropping a tranny?
Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
C4911, a bit off-topic man....but you were on the 996 forum for a long time. And simple cross-referencing shows that you posted/were on the board on the same days as KK was posting his "fix" suggestions. You had a 99 996 and you posted quiet a lot on this forum. How did you miss KrazyKs posts and not know who he is? You didn't bother researching his "history" on the forum? You posted in his "car sold" thread that you bought it from him, so I assume you did some due diligence on his "engine drops"? https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...or-sale-3.html
Wow! The plot thickens! Canceling my donation to the lawsuit fund. Nothing to see here folks, move along.You just can't make this stuff up!... Or can you? Do you think this is a collaborating troll?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

To answer your question it would start by looking a little closer at all my postings since becoming a member. Most are greetings for new members, complimenting another members car and a few concerning cosmetic issues. You won't find a single post in any mechanical/technical thread as I don't read those. I am not mechanically oriented so knowing of KK's reputation prior to purchase is definitely a stretch. I saw his ad first on Autotrader even though he was also listing it on this site. I didn't learn he was a Rennlist member until after deposit given. At the time I didn't consider doing a background check and I'm not sure how many others would. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and next time I am in the car market I'll have to be more careful.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:15 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Sorry, my apologies. That was inappropriate. I got carried away.

You've got a great car that was very well maintained except for one bad decision made by the PO. It just as easily could have been the AOS. Truthfully, we all know an engine may be in our future at some point and that's OK. We didn't buy them for their TCO.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow! You really just can't make this stuff up.

To the OP - I feel your pain, having gone through an engine failure after doing what I thought was the right thing. I lost my engine about 20K miles after replacing the original IMSB with the LNE ceramic bearing. After much soul searching, I spent about the same amount as you for an upgraded Porsche crate engine with the larger diameter bearing. IMO it's an awesome car and it was worth it.

Best of luck with your new engine and I hope you are enjoying your 996 as much as I am!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:15 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C4911
To answer your question it would start by looking a little closer at all my postings since becoming a member. Most are greetings for new members, complimenting another members car and a few concerning cosmetic issues. You won't find a single post in any mechanical/technical thread as I don't read those. I am not mechanically oriented so knowing of KK's reputation prior to purchase is definitely a stretch. I saw his ad first on Autotrader even though he was also listing it on this site. I didn't learn he was a Rennlist member until after deposit given. At the time I didn't consider doing a background check and I'm not sure how many others would. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and next time I am in the car market I'll have to be more careful.
/agree. You were posting mostly greetings. And since you are not mechanically inclined, this makes sense man. Just a very bad situation for you. And unfortunately you walked into the ****show that KK was running on 996 forum. I am glad you are getting the new motor and moving past this.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:29 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black

To the OP - I feel your pain, having gone through an engine failure after doing what I thought was the right thing. I lost my engine about 20K miles after replacing the original IMSB with the LNE ceramic bearing. After much soul searching, I spent about the same amount as you for an upgraded Porsche crate engine with the larger diameter bearing. IMO it's an awesome car and it was worth it.

Best of luck with your new engine and I hope you are enjoying your 996 as much as I am!
I can relate.

OP, read through this for some fun:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...today-and.html
Old 04-15-2016, 03:37 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Now I see why KK never wanted to drive it.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:58 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black

Sorry to have to ask this, but did the LNE bearing fail, or was it something else?
How many miles on the car before the bearing change?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 AM
stasha
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't believe all this talk about demanding a refund or suing KK.

While I definitely commiserate with the buyer to whom this happened, blaming the seller for the problem, JUST BECAUSE HE IS A KNOWN FACTOR ON RL, is totally misplaced.

If you bought this car from "Joe Blow" in Sassquatch, and this same thing happened, you would not expect or get a reimbursement.

In fact, I don't even think a used car dealer would be held liable for the failure. Their usual defense is that this was a Porsche, and the buyer drove the car too recklessly, causing the failure.

Furthermore, any half-intelligent defense lawyer would find, within 3 minutes, the considerable volumes of literature documenting stories about IMSB's failing, even after recent replacement.

Personal dislike for the seller could never be a factor in a legal settlement.

So, there should be no surprises that this falls flat.

Without knowing KK at all, I can say that while I greatly commiserate with the buyer, I also commiserate with KK for the hatred that will be heaped on him to follow.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't say for certain because the engine hasn't been taken apart yet. It's still sitting on a shelf at my indie's shop waiting to get rebuilt. I'll update when I know for sure.

I had the bearing changed, along with RMS, clutch and flywheel just after I got the car, at about 25K miles.

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Sorry to have to ask this, but did the LNE bearing fail, or was it something else?
How many miles on the car before the bearing change?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
IMO said:
"When I removed the bearing flange, noticed the experimental bearing was on it's last leg (luckily it hasn't come apart yet)."
You are one of the brightest (& bluntest :-} ) Rennlisters for mechanical issues so your experience with a self-specified IMSB is particularly valuable. It is unlikely(?) you failed to do the pre-qualification checks or bungled the installation. So what do you think caused your first replacement Ceramic Hybrid bearing to fail ?
I understand that BOCA disapproved of this application for the bearing - but why? Do you have the specs on the bearing?
My interest is just the engineering an wanting to understand more about this issue.
Grateful for any ideas you care to share here. Thank you.
Could have failed for many different reasons. The engine wasn't sheding metal when I picked it up as a non-runner. The cam tensioner pad wore through, broke off and jammes in the cam sprocket.This caused the timing to jump and wipe out 6 exhaust valves and that's why it stopped running for the PO. It had very high mileage too so there were other issues too but mechanically it was sound enough for me to get it going again. You see, the bearing hype got me to change the original part. The bearing that came out of the engine was still in good condition but because I was new to these guess engines and all the fear on the net about the bearing, I looked for a replacement that didn't cost a fortune. It was still not a cheap bearing (my dual row ceramic hybrid was $100USD + shipping and customs). I'm very confident the bearing was installed correctly because the custom made shim didn't allow to install it snap ring unless the bearing sat square in the back of the shaft. My main concern was maximum operating temperature and after talking to Boca, I was confident enough the 325F limit was good for me.

Unlike KK, I left the seals on my bearing because the factory did too so figured, let's try this combination first. I had no signs of bearing surfing metal until I came back from the drag strip and decided to change the oil. The oil pressure dropped at the track after running 2 back to back runs with one non functioning radiator fan. So it is entirely possible the oil temperature went far above the maximum limit for the bearing but there are so many bad ables, I just don't know. The real reason the oil pressure loss was that the main bearings on the crankshaft were falling apart from lack of lubrication (I think this was caused by the over heated oil too).

So when I pulled the filter to change the oil, it was full of glitter (more glitter than a cheap stripper ). This is when I realized the bearing is probably coming apart. I rinced out the filter housing, popped a new filter in, filled the engine with regular 10w30 and drove it from the driveway, into the garage for engine removal. I think this last step actually helped flushing out the engine a bit. Once the engine was pulled and then transmission separated from the block, I pulled the bearing flange and sure enough, the bearing was extremely loose.

So to sum it up, I don't know what really happens but the overheated oil probably didn't help. I was very dissapointed that this experiment didn't work the way I was hoping it would but now it's time to try something different. In all fairness the specs on this bearing looked better than the one it replaced but clearly it didn't last in my case. Maybe the next one will fair better.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stasha
Furthermore, any half-intelligent defense lawyer would find, within 3 minutes, the considerable volumes of literature documenting stories about IMSB's failing, even after recent replacement.
That could actually work against him as it would also show that there are well known and accepted options to mitigate the issue. It is also easy to show that KK (with no proof of formal training or experience in the pertinent fields) felt he knew better than everyone else and was going to do something else.

It can also then be shown that the bearing manufacture said it was an inappropriate application and we now know that the only other person that tried this bearing sent him a warning about the bearing failing.

Finally we also know he sold the car as having it's IMSB replaced, included the receipt for the Pelican bearing which he only used the mounting hardware from, and did not disclose his experimental use of a non-accepted bearing.

Personal dislike for the seller could never be a factor in a legal settlement.
Our thoughts on him are indeed irrelevant, that doesn't change that he publicly documented this fiasco.

As I've already said, while I would love to see KK get ruined to the point where he can't afford Internet access ever again, I'm not a proponent of a lawsuit over this. I think it can be shown he misrepresented the state of the car in a manner that the buyer could not reasonably verify, but I think the cost and headaches of a lawsuit on top of what he has already gone through just aren't worth it. At least it's not to me.

Without knowing KK at all
There is your problem and why you should have done some research before posting on the subject. He has a long and antagonistic reputation. He has also (as shown in links provided in this thread so you don't even have to search) documented his culpability in this matter. The guy is an egotistical *** that believes his own hype that he is somehow the greatest m96 mechanic in the world.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when KK was selling and there were many comments about what a well maintained car this was, all I thought at the time is that this was the last car I'd be interested in buying as wouldn't want a car that some **** had been consistently taking apart and reassembling!!

Quick Reply: I bought KK's car(long story...)