996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought KK's car(long story...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I bought KK's car(long story...)

To end the suspense(not that most cared), I am the guy who bought the 2003 C4S from KK back in August '14. As a Porsche enthusiast and owner in the past I was well aware of the IMSB/RMS issues the '99-05 cars experienced. Previously owned a 1999 C4 and immediately after purchase replaced the IMS with the LN Engineering fix. Decide to upgrade to a 4S and begin searching with one of the criteria being the IMSB has either been addressed already or if not, use that as a bargaining tool. Find KK's car on Autotrader and notice how much preventive maintenance has been done, including IMSB and figure this is a great car. Make a phone call to him to discuss purchase and decide to send him a deposit and buy the car. I guess it's my fault for not asking about details concerning his IMSB fix as he never mentioned any specifics.

Car gets shipped with approximately 59K miles on the odometer and with the accompanying notes and receipts from KK I can see the bearing was changed at 58K miles. I drive the car a couple times a week, no track time or overrevs, and change the oil regularly. So since purchasing I have put around 7K miles on the car. Was out for a pleasure ride about a month ago doing 50mph and the engine just shut down. Had the stereo on at the time so I didn't hear anything unusual. Pulled over, tried to start it up and it would crank but not catch. Got it towed to my indy and after diagnosis-blown engine, failed IMSB. Emailed KK just to give him an update and told him I wasn't going to post the story on Rennlist because there are enough horror stories out there already. He responded with condolences and asked to be kept in the loop as things progressed.

A few days pass since I emailed him and I notice a thread on Rennlist concerning my car, posted by KK. Judging from the number of responses it appears he is not the most popular member and one of the posts actually puts up a link that details KK's attempt to address the IMSB issue with his own economical fix. This is news to me as there was never a mention of this experimental approach to the problem prior to my purchase. I do feel there should have been some discussion as this is a significant element to the car. Again, my bad for not asking for details. I do, however, think there is a moral and ethical obligation to be forthright about an untested attempt to fix something that can potentially lead to catastrophic results. I totally understand "buyer beware" and realize I don't have a leg to stand on as far as any kind of compensation for this extremely expensive repair. I did buy a rebuilt engine and am currently breaking it in.

I do have full documentation of the disassembly, complete with pictures, of the failed part which turned out to be a Pelican item(for which I have receipts from KK's paperwork included with the car). I have since emailed KK asking for his opinion and I do understand his attempted fix was not done with malice, he truly felt his solution was viable. As of today I have not received any response from him. At this point I am over-invested in this car and was seeking any advice you guys might have to offer....
Old 04-14-2016, 11:17 AM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is going to take me a while to process....
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4911 Do you mind sharing a quick rundown of that "economy fix". Which parts were used and , if any idea, what went wrong?
For informative purposes only, obviously.

Thank you
Old 04-14-2016, 11:26 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah unfortunately there is a lot of bad blood around here with KK and his views on the 996/m96 and our views on him and how he treated that car.

I'm sorry for your loss as that just sucks no matter what.

I guess the usual answers apply.

1) Sell it as a roller.
2) Have someone local rebuild it.
3) Find a used motor to swap in.
4) Talk to Flat 6 Innovations about what they might be able to do (though I believe I've read that Jake won't accept an already disassembled engine).

Regarding #3, Martin (MBMotorsports) just posted info yesterday about some motors he has in stock for reasonable prices. I didn't pay close attention, but I think the 3.6 blocks have his roller bearing IMSB (history and contention there so you'd have to read up and make your own decision).

Good luck with which ever option you go with.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:31 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Youri Ko
C4911 Do you mind sharing a quick rundown of that "economy fix". Which parts were used and , if any idea, what went wrong?
For informative purposes only, obviously.
In the idiot's (KK's) own words: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-and-pics.html

And KK's thread about this situation for those that missed it: https://rennlist.com/forums/the-abys...ine-story.html
Old 04-14-2016, 11:32 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Yeah, we are collectively done with KK and his act, but that sentiment did not transfer to the new owner with the car.

It sucks to hear a car went south, glad to hear that you have the will and the financial ability to keep the car moving. Best of luck.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

The important question, for me, is that did you purchase the car "as is, where is"? (what exactly did the bill of sale say?)

If so, your legal remedies are probably limited. At that point you're relying on (as the famous play "A Streetcar Named Desire" says): "the kindness of strangers"

A lawyer, even if your bill of sale says: "as is, where is" may tell you that if KK was negligent in updating your IMS, he could still be liable.

I hope you and KK can reach a mutually satisfying solution.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Yeah unfortunately there is a lot of bad blood around here with KK and his views on the 996/m96 and our views on him and how he treated that car.

I'm sorry for your loss as that just sucks no matter what.

I guess the usual answers apply.

1) Sell it as a roller.
2) Have someone local rebuild it.
3) Find a used motor to swap in.
4) Talk to Flat 6 Innovations about what they might be able to do (though I believe I've read that Jake won't accept an already disassembled engine).

Regarding #3, Martin (MBMotorsports) just posted info yesterday about some motors he has in stock for reasonable prices. I didn't pay close attention, but I think the 3.6 blocks have his roller bearing IMSB (history and contention there so you'd have to read up and make your own decision).

Good luck with which ever option you go with.

He already has a rebuilt motor.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sweet victory
He already has a rebuilt motor.
Well the implication was that he have it rebuilt by someone competent that doesn't cut corners on critical parts
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking for a "budget" fix of an IMSB is asinine. You'll likely read other posts about "upgraded" going Kaboom but if you peal back a layer or two probably find that the person with the issue either had an IMSB that was failing already leaving metallic fragments behind or was cheaping out trying to save a buck. That's why if you're buying a 996 you'd better confirm that it's an LN bearing and hopefully installed properly by one of their installers.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Went with Vertex rebuilt...
Old 04-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Youri Ko
Racer

Thanks gnat. Still can't understand clearly what bearing was used?

After some reading through that page you posted, ironic

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
KK's car is another example that the stock IMS was nowhere near failure when it was taken apart. How many cars have had these parts swapped out because of this stigma and nothing was wrong? I bet it is in the high 90 percent range....
Old 04-14-2016, 12:01 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Well the implication was that he have it rebuilt by someone competent that doesn't cut corners on critical parts
Please adjust your gold plated bifocals to where he said he already purchased a rebuilt motor and is currently breaking it in. And don't lead me on with that slutty emoji!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:06 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Whatever the rebuild cost you, I'd ask KK to pay for half. Although KK takes a lot of crap on here for being a troll, give him the opportunity to do the right thing.
I assume you're an E-2C Hawkeye guy. I think I asked you that in a previous post but don't remember if your responded. I'm a retired S-3 guy. If KK doesn't do the right thing and split the cost with you, then contact me via PM and we'll discuss the appropriate legal actions to take. There are plenty of smoking guns sitting around here on this forum to form a very viable fraud case given what he did to the IMSB and then apparently how that was presented to you, the buyer.
Elements of Civil Fraud in the State of Texas:

1. There was a material representation made that was false;
2. The person who made the representation knew the representation was false or made it recklessly as a positive assertion without any knowledge of its truth;
3. The person who made the representation intended to induce another to act upon the representation; and
4. The person to whom the material representation was made actually and justifiably relied on the representation, which caused the injury.
See Ernst & Young, L.L.P. v. Pac. Mut. Life Ins. Co., 51 S.W.3d 573, 577 (Tex. 2001)

Anybody on here think this situation doesn't meet the Supreme Court of Texas' elements of fraud?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Not that long of a story, but a sad story to be sure.

Too bad the IMSB upgrade was not divulged to be some homegrown upgrade of apparently, obviously now, insufficient robustness.

Hopefully all the posters to his thread regarding his homegrown IMSB upgrade who offered praise and I guess believed he had come up with some viable IMSB "solution" will now be made wise to the fact it is no solution and avoid following his example.

With used cars it is "caveat emptor" and unless KK makes some kind of goodwill gesture you are I think out of luck.

My advice then would be to focus on the future.

You have the car back on the road with a rebuilt engine. Follow the rebuilders guidelines regarding break in and oil changes.

Unless forbidden by the engine rebuilder I'd advise you do an early oil/filter service as rebuilt (and new) engines shed lots of trash/debris and contaminate the oil due to blowby new/rebuilt engines experience as they break in.

Then afterwards do regular oil/filter services on a reasonable schedule. With these steps and some luck you should experience a long and trouble free service life from the engine and the car.

Quick Reply: I bought KK's car(long story...)