996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

#$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:47 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cuda, u sell ur car as a roller or part out & buy the 4CS u found on the other thread if it has records & checks out, that puts u back in the saddle around 8kish. not bad-

m
Old 12-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

I've thought about that lingpoen. Certainly a possibility, but I'd like to get my car brought back to life if possible.

Still, seems like a fantastic deal for someone. Of course, this is assuming we can believe the ad. But, there are TONS of filthy rich folks in Newport Beach, so it may just be a guy looking to quickly get rid of his car.

Regarding the LS swap... I haven't heard back yet from Renegade. I'll call them later today and see if the swap can be done for a Tip.

Regarding price: Their 996 kit is $3,900. I've been able to find a brand new crate LS-3 for $6,200. Then, there are all the ancillary parts needed, plus labor. A guy on RL PM'd me and says he can help with any questions, so I'm assuming he has done it.

I'm still in the early info. gathering stage....
Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2014, 02:51 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

You're missing a couple major things off the bat like wiring harness and ecu. You can do the standard ecu which maybe more trouble than it's worth or do a custom setup like FAST which is a bit more on the cost($1-2k depending on options and package). If you don't want to fab or mess around, you'll want the power steering and cooling kits too. As previously said, once you factor everything in, you'll be close to $8k for conversion parts not including motor/labor/ecu/etc.

Personally, I'd sacrifice having a old school whale tail to stuff one of these in.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...0165K/10002/-1
Old 12-12-2014, 02:57 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I've thought about that lingpoen. Certainly a possibility, but I'd like to get my car brought back to life if possible.

Still, seems like a fantastic deal for someone. Of course, this is assuming we can believe the ad. But, there are TONS of filthy rich folks in Newport Beach, so it may just be a guy looking to quickly get rid of his car.

Regarding the LS swap... I haven't heard back yet from Renegade. I'll call them later today and see if the swap can be done for a Tip.

Regarding price: Their 996 kit is $3,900. I've been able to find a brand new crate LS-3 for $6,200. Then, there are all the ancillary parts needed, plus labor. A guy on RL PM'd me and says he can help with any questions, so I'm assuming he has done it.

I'm still in the early info. gathering stage....
As far as the LS3 goes, Scott from Renegade recommended the "E-Rod" kit which has more of the stuff needed to make it work (ECU, exhaust manifolds, cats, sensors...). This is closer to $8K:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Perf...95009/10002/-1

You could still find a used LS1/LS2/LS3 for far less than the cost of a used M96 but then you'd have to deal with potential rebuilding issues, etc.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
You're missing a couple major things off the bat like wiring harness and ecu. You can do the standard ecu which maybe more trouble than it's worth or do a custom setup like FAST which is a bit more on the cost($1-2k depending on options and package). If you don't want to fab or mess around, you'll want the power steering and cooling kits too. As previously said, once you factor everything in, you'll be close to $8k for conversion parts not including motor/labor/ecu/etc.

Personally, I'd sacrifice having a old school whale tail to stuff one of these in.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...0165K/10002/-1
Man, that C4S up in Newport Beach is looking better and better. It would actually be a minor upgrade from your C2 to a C4S. If you didn't like the AWD, you could always disconnect it. It's a tip, which you obviously like. If it were me, I'd salvage the bits & pieces off the old car that I really liked (& the buyer probably won't care about anyway) and sell the carcass. You're back in the driver's seat at the minimal cost in the minimum time with the minimum amount of hassle.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Yeah, as I've been mentally adding up all the misc. stuff needed, I can see that the LS swap is about 8k, maybe 10k, for the engine plus misc stuff. So, that puts you at 14 - 16K in parts. As said by Alpine, looks like an easy 20K to do this conversion.

At Cars & Coffee last week I was talking to a guy that just finished doing an LS3 conversion on a 944. He was able to get it CARB certified, but it's quite a process. He did all of the work himself, though. Very impressive job. His car looked great.

KC, if I lived anywhere where it snowed (or even rained) I'd be all over a C4. I love 4WD/AWD, and that's why I have owned about 8 or 10 Subarus. For here, the C4 isn't really of value to me. I wouldn't mod it though, and remove the front drive from it. Plus, I already have a silver Porsche.

So far, it's still looking like the Texas motor is my best option. Of course, I still need to get some direct eyes on it once the car can be accessed.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:09 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told that the LS conversion can't be done with the tip.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:13 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I just landed in Charlotte...I have a project at the airport. Surely I can find a pair of yoga pants with some young thing poured into them. I'm here all day so I have plenty of time for research.
Airports are good for that. Ask me how I know...

TC
Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Man, that C4S up in Newport Beach is looking better and better. It would actually be a minor upgrade from your C2 to a C4S. If you didn't like the AWD, you could always disconnect it. It's a tip, which you obviously like. If it were me, I'd salvage the bits & pieces off the old car that I really liked (& the buyer probably won't care about anyway) and sell the carcass. You're back in the driver's seat at the minimal cost in the minimum time with the minimum amount of hassle.
I have the same feeling, or get the used motor like you intended and put that in if you are attached to your current car due to it's color/mods/condition/etc.

As for a 944 LS conversion, I cry when I see it as it's like 1/4 of the cost all added up including the car, considering you can find VGC 944S models around here for $2-3k, add that to the fact that 944 LS conversion kits are as low as $1500. So basically for well under $10k, you have a 944 LS car which includes the car itself.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AA717driver
Airports are good for that. Ask me how I know... TC
I've been on that same project for the last 2 hours!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
KC & Alpine, I'm totally with you on this. I would choose this route.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I think a 996 LS conversion has to be a labor of love... It will consume far more time and cash than you originally plan on, and there will always be 'one more thing' to do with it.

Makes sense to do if it's your dream to have an LS1 engine in a Porsche, not as a less expensive or easier way to deal with a failed engine. IMHO of course...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

duplicate
Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by pfbz
I think a 996 LS conversion has to be a labor of love... It will consume far more time and cash than you originally plan on, and there will always be 'one more thing' to do with it.

Makes sense to do if it's your dream to have an LS1 engine in a Porsche, not as a less expensive or easier way to deal with a failed engine. IMHO of course...
Yes, I am coming to that same conclusion, based on my early research.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Ouch. Seems like you would know if you tagged something under the car hard enough to break the case.

I'd think there's a wrecked 996 out there that could be a donor, to bring the car back to the living. Heck, buy a 996 that isn't wrecked, swap motor and part that car out, based on what you spent on this one.

I think you stressed the motor trying to follow me a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply: #$@! Blew my engine today #&*#@!