996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023 | 02:12 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobyYoo

I played with the radio for 30min and it's also hot at the same location as yours. I don't think it's 100celsius as I can still touch it. But definitely hot. Not sure if I should complain to get a replacement like your mentioned with a fan
By hot, do you mean it is crazy hot, like you can't keep your fingers on it hot? Does it heat up right away?
Old 09-22-2023 | 02:15 PM
bobyYoo
AutoX

Originally Posted by jim010
By hot, do you mean it is crazy hot, like you can't keep your fingers on it hot? Does it heat up right away?
I can still keep my finger there. About 5min and it start to heat up. The weather is kind cool right now. But in hot summer, it might become very hot especially behind the dash. So I'm not sure what to do
Old 09-23-2023 | 02:18 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

I can still keep my finger there. About 5min and it start to heat up. The weather is kind cool right now. But in hot summer, it might become very hot especially behind the dash. So I'm not sure what to do
I would send it back.

Need others to check their units to make sure this isn't 'normal'
Old 09-23-2023 | 12:29 PM
bobyYoo
AutoX

Originally Posted by jim010
I would send it back.

Need others to check their units to make sure this isn't 'normal'
Did you bought from Sadocom store? They are telling me it's normal to be hot
Old 09-23-2023 | 03:37 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Did you bought from Sadocom store? They are telling me it's normal to be hot
If 100 degrees Celsius is normal, then that is awful. Need to get others who bought these to check. Nor would I wait guys, as these temps are hot enough to boil water!

Last edited by jim010; 09-23-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-24-2023 | 05:42 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

I bought this unit a month ago and what...a...pain. Definitely not plug n play like aliexpress seller advertised. I had to cut up some pvc shims and use padding and double sided tape to get it to fit into a PCM harness. Has anyone here wired up a backup camera? Im really confused about the wiring harness. Are folks using the reverse light wire/drivers seat wire (blk/blue) to power the camera and send signal into the unit via the RCA plug power wire? Or are has anyone figured out if the harness itself has a working backup signal wire (its in the aliexpress diagram, but I dont see how the factory harness had a signal wire that would feed into this harness).

Seller support hasnt been the greatest either. If I had to do it again I would wait for this to go through a few beta iterations until theres a more polished unit for the money (albeit cheap by porsche standards)
Old 09-24-2023 | 06:30 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Yes, I was able to get the reverse camera to work witout issue. Pin 5 on the radio harness is the reverse.

Are you able to go in back and see if yours is getting hot like mine is? I do recommend that you check.

Last edited by jim010; 09-24-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2023 | 06:36 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Thank you! My Pin 5 is brown and runs into the canbus decoder (aliexpress CDR harness). No idea how its receiving signal from factory harness, but Ill start with this and work my way through it. Much appreciated!
Old 09-24-2023 | 07:01 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by preppyr6
Thank you! My Pin 5 is brown and runs into the canbus decoder (aliexpress CDR harness). No idea how its receiving signal from factory harness, but Ill start with this and work my way through it. Much appreciated!
\CHeck the temperature of the back of your head unit!
Old 10-02-2023 | 09:08 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Anyone with one of these alixpress units install it into their car with MOST wiring? I've got everything plugged in, but unit does not power on (I hear the amplifier connect but nothing else). No sound, no power up.

For connections, I have the following:

MOST adapter wired into telephone harness (brown, grn/blk, red/blk for ground, switched 12v, unswitched 12v). When key is turned to accessory mode, MOST adapter's fiber optic light is on.
2 RCAs out of MOST adapter connect to units AUX IN
Yellow mini-harness is connected into the units harness adapter
Black main harness is connected into the units harness adapter
CANBUS adapter has 2 white wires that plug into the back of the unit

Checked all fuses, theyre fine.

Either this unit is DOA or the units harness is wired up incorrectly. From the diagram above (my unit's harness has a different pin layout perhaps because of the MOST), my black harness does not have switched 12v wire. The only wires between black harness and unit's harness are 1) ground 2) unswitched 12v and 3) power antenna (pins 4, 5, 8 above).

Anyone else run into this?
Old 10-02-2023 | 09:13 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Ill add more pics once Ive got a handle on this wiring nightmare

Old 10-02-2023 | 09:15 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Connect your avin unit to the stereo's AUX Out.
Old 10-02-2023 | 09:47 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Ugh, I tried that....no change. I can hear the speakers pop when I connect or disconnect the black harness OR the Aux IN RCA cables (doesnt seem to be every time, but I do hear the speakers pop which tells me the factory wiring probably isnt damaged. My OEM headunit worked fine. Will post up a few more pics once icloud downloads them to my pc in case others have any insight or also have this problem.

Old 10-02-2023 | 11:59 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Ok, a little more forum searching and I should clarify that I have an 03 C4S with Bose/MOST. Thank you @bobyYoo for the pin diagram above and @fazm for the headsup on AVIN's unit (probably the exact same as this aliexpress unit), I think I might have figured out the issue. Aliexpress instructions say to connect RCA to AUX IN, which I assumed was some bypass for switched 12v (maybe it still is, who knows), but AVIN has it the other way around where Audio Out sends signal to the MOST converter. Looking at the pin layout, my units #3 pin does not correspond to #7 on the adapter (switched 12v), it corresponds to pin #5 (powered antenna). So its possible the harness is just mis-wired, AND there is no switched 12v going to the unit. From what I found in previous posts, a line has to be run from switched 12v (either from fuse box or car phone plug) to the headunit. So, Ill run a line from the plug to the wire coming out of pin #3 from the unit (per above diagram). I'll report back on my findings. Either way, aliexpress fml .They should be paying me as their guinea pig.
Adding pic of aliexpress MOST converter instructions as a warning

Last edited by preppyr6; 10-03-2023 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2023 | 10:58 AM
preppyr6
Advanced

Update: I confirmed its a switched 12v problem. I applied switched 12v to Pin 5 above (power antenna) which sent power back into the canbus decoder and onto the unit, which powered the unit up. So Im stumped how this aliexpress harness with canbus decoder is supposed to draw switched 12v from the factory harness. I noticed this aliexpress harness has 2 pins for the yellow mini plug: #1 and #2 (LF R Out, Rt R Out). So not sure if thats correct or not.

Edit: on my MOST factory headunit, yellow connector pin #1 and #2 are for CAN Comfort High and Low. So Aliexpress harness is correct on wiring those pins to CAN decoder.

I still cant figure out why the CAN decoder isnt sending switched 12v signal to the headunit, UNLESS factory headunit (bose/MOST) relies on MOST for radio power on (switched 12v). Im going to attempt to bypass and feed switched 12v from the telephone plug.

Last edited by preppyr6; 10-03-2023 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here