996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Icelia
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

I was able to install the system over the weekend.

I used the Bluetooth receiver that I referenced before (it is built into a **** that I installed in the cigarette lighter hole)

search NVX receiver on Amazon if you want to find it. it connects correctly to the stock amp, and works great.
These photos aren't the greatest, but I made a plate out of Lexan and covered it with Vinyl, and mounted a magnetic phone charger, and a USB power plug. Works great!

The following 2 users liked this post by Icelia:
cqhall (05-01-2024), PBradz (11-07-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:37 PM
preppyr6
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

@jim010 , do you by chance have any pics of your wiring harness for the ali unit? Im trying to install a unit in my 986 HiFi M490. Unit came with 2 harnesses (one for PCM and one for CDR presumably). I think the non-CANBUS harness is correct. I figured out how to connect the front speakers, but I dont see how to connect the rears. Im also not sure if I need a LOC here.

Was yours HiFi? Can you share more on your setup?

Nevermind! Followed your earlier LOC advise and BOOM I have sound coming from front, door, and rear speakers. I just happened to have a LOC leftover from a Continental radio install. Worked like a charm. Thank you Jim!

Last edited by preppyr6; 11-07-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:01 AM
Sscottbutler
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metro kit

Originally Posted by allcool
Just installed a android ATOTO head unit in my 2002_996.2.

Definitely not a most system in 02.

Got a Metra install kit from amazon and a wiring kit from some other Amazon china company.
Plugged in the connectors including the rca for subs, all rca outs to all available inputs and all speaker wires to corresponding speaker connections(paying particular attention to the +/- on the wires/plugs. There were no rear speaker wires coming from the car adapter plug, but the head had all 8 speaker wires. So not using the rear outputs from the head unit.

Started it up and even without the rears, its sound great. OEM Amp is working good, and the door speakers seem to be the woofers. Was going to change out the speakers but it sounds so good not going to touch them.

Will try to get the rear/fader to work, might have to find the rear wires at the amp and patch in the head rear speaker wires..? But for now, just plug and play,,, surprising how clear and clean it sounds, not clipping, no distortion at all, I'm truly amazed as the 996.1 I did was terrible till I changed out the speakers.

Amazed how powerful the ATOTO android A6pf, with 996.2 2002 oem amp is. Can't turn up the volume more than 1/3 or its ear shattering. and the door speakers boom bass amazingly well for there size. Atoto seems fast, responds instantly, wireless connects to my s22android auto immediately and my girls iphone car play fast. And was half the money my other slooow head unit was in the 996.1

Now take all this with a grain of salt as I'm not a audiohead, or media system install expert at all.

jmo

hello, I am trying to install an Aliexpress unit from Ekiy with the same metra kit but the head unit is just a little too big. Did you have to cut away any of the metra kit for the Atoto to fit?
Old 11-08-2023, 10:55 AM
allcool
Pro

Received 250 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sscottbutler
hello, I am trying to install an Aliexpress unit from Ekiy with the same metra kit but the head unit is just a little too big. Did you have to cut away any of the metra kit for the Atoto to fit?
Is this on a 996.2..?

After living with my 02/metra kit Atoto install on my 2002 996.2 for a month or so now, I've determined that metra kit is the wrong kit for an 02> with the upper cup holders.

Yes, did have to sand off material to get the head unit in the metra bracket. But thats not the big problem.

Even once you sand the bracket too perfectly fit the head unit, the cup holder makes the fit very tight and whole unit sticks out on top and on the sides a little. The top bracket lip doesn't integrate right with the cup holder.
I can live with it but its not right.
IMO, this metra kit is not for 996.2>, its for 996.1 <2001. As far as I can see there is no 2002> and up metra bracket that fits the latter cars. Or maybe I just can't find 1.?

My 2001 996.1 I've used the metra kit on fits perfect, looks great, is flush everywhere, and goes right in nice. Big difference from the 996.1 to the 996.2 as far as the metra kit goes.

Might change out my 996.2 head unit for this one everyone has been using lately. The head unit that doesn't need the metra kit, its made for the 2002> cars and looks to fit right in and integrate perfectly. they offer so many different configurations of this unit, not sure what one is best. not sure I'd need the big memory and cpu..? The Atoto with same specs as the unit I linked above, is fast and responsive for me.

Whatever I do, will never go back to regular head units. As the android tablet type head units are far superior from my limited non audio head anecdotal experience. the ability to install apps like Torque pro, tpms, Browsers, 2second boot up, lightning fast response time, instant wireless AA & CP, etc, make these android units transform older cars into the modern times...

jmo

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

Old 11-08-2023, 12:37 PM
Sscottbutler
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this on a 996.2..?

After living with my 02/metra kit Atoto install on my 2002 996.2 for a month or so now, I've determined that metra kit is the wrong kit for an 02> with the upper cup holders.

Yes, did have to sand off material to get the head unit in the metra bracket. But thats not the big problem.

Even once you sand the bracket too perfectly fit the head unit, the cup holder makes the fit very tight and whole unit sticks out on top and on the sides a little. The top bracket lip doesn't integrate right with the cup holder.
I can live with it but its not right.
IMO, this metra kit is not for 996.2>, its for 996.1 <2001. As far as I can see there is no 2002> and up metra bracket that fits the latter cars. Or maybe I just can't find 1.?

My 2001 996.1 I've used the metra kit on fits perfect, looks great, is flush everywhere, and goes right in nice. Big difference from the 996.1 to the 996.2 as far as the metra kit goes.

Might change out my 996.2 head unit for this one everyone has been using lately. The head unit that doesn't need the metra kit, its made for the 2002> cars and looks to fit right in and integrate perfectly. they offer so many different configurations of this unit, not sure what one is best. not sure I'd need the big memory and cpu..? The Atoto with same specs as the unit I linked above, is fast and responsive for me.

Whatever I do, will never go back to regular head units. As the android tablet type head units are far superior from my limited non audio head anecdotal experience. the ability to install apps like Torque pro, tpms, Browsers, 2second boot up, lightning fast response time, instant wireless AA & CP, etc, make these android units transform older cars into the modern times...

jmo

Allcool, thanks for the feedback and I understand the difference now.

I have an 02 turbo with the 2 cupholders and the Metra kit. As you mentioned the Metra not fitting perfect but it was acceptable and worked with the Boss double DIN unit I have in there now. The EKIY T7 i just got seems really nice and sounds great too. Unfortunately it seems about 3-5 mm. larger than the Metra cradle and opening and, like you, I can't find anything other than the Metra for 996.2. I may have to go with the Atoto like you show here. It's just much more expensive than the Ekiy and I don't think it has all the features.

Thanks again for your feedback and additional information. If I ever get this finished, I'll have a unit with 360 view camera, TPMS, ECU, 5 channel aftermarket amp and replaced speakers.
Old 11-08-2023, 01:27 PM
PBradz
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Metra kit option from Scosche

I think the Scosche had less of a bow/curve to it than the Metra kit. I’d ordered one last year, but after getting the Metra sanded down to fit my ATOTO S8 I don’t think I ever opened it to compare.

https://www.scosche.com/car-audio/in...ation-kit-7654

It is listed as ‘99-‘04 compatible so maybe there’s some curve to it…can’t really tell from pics.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:23 PM
allcool
Pro

Originally Posted by Sscottbutler
Allcool, thanks for the feedback and I understand the difference now.

I have an 02 turbo with the 2 cupholders and the Metra kit. As you mentioned the Metra not fitting perfect but it was acceptable and worked with the Boss double DIN unit I have in there now. The EKIY T7 i just got seems really nice and sounds great too. Unfortunately it seems about 3-5 mm. larger than the Metra cradle and opening and, like you, I can't find anything other than the Metra for 996.2. I may have to go with the Atoto like you show here. It's just much more expensive than the Ekiy and I don't think it has all the features.

Thanks again for your feedback and additional information. If I ever get this finished, I'll have a unit with 360 view camera, TPMS, ECU, 5 channel aftermarket amp and replaced speakers.
Probably I didn't make myself clear, my point was not to go with a standard head android unit (like Atoto) that needs a bracket/cradle.

Go with the new units that don't need any cradle and have its own face plate mount built right in made for the 2002+ cars dash to fit perfect and look kind of like the PCCM Porsche radio unit, like in my link below... They are made for the 2002> 996.2. Cost on sale now, $185. So, only have found these on AliExpress but maybe they are for sale elsewhere, idk.... Many right on this thread have gotten these successfully from AliExpress. Same units seem to have many rebranded names, not sure any of that matters as they all seem to work and fit great.

I will probably be taking out the sloow Jensen head unit now in the 2001 that cost twice as much. And then remove my Atoto from my 2002 and install it in my 2001 since the metra kit fits perfect in the 2001. Then Installing /getting the AliExpess unit that fits perfect in a 2002>.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:41 PM
allcool
Pro

Originally Posted by PBradz
I think the Scosche had less of a bow/curve to it than the Metra kit. I’d ordered one last year, but after getting the Metra sanded down to fit my ATOTO S8 I don’t think I ever opened it to compare.

https://www.scosche.com/car-audio/in...ation-kit-7654

It is listed as ‘99-‘04 compatible so maybe there’s some curve to it…can’t really tell from pics.
Just checked it out, think you're right on the better fitting Scosche kit.

But for $185 instead of the $50 for the Scosche kit, can get a AliExpress android head that needs no kit/faceplate as its built perfect to fit only the 996.2 and looks a little like a Porsche Pccm.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:57 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by preppyr6
@jim010 , do you by chance have any pics of your wiring harness for the ali unit? Im trying to install a unit in my 986 HiFi M490. Unit came with 2 harnesses (one for PCM and one for CDR presumably). I think the non-CANBUS harness is correct. I figured out how to connect the front speakers, but I dont see how to connect the rears. Im also not sure if I need a LOC here.

Was yours HiFi? Can you share more on your setup?

Nevermind! Followed your earlier LOC advise and BOOM I have sound coming from front, door, and rear speakers. I just happened to have a LOC leftover from a Continental radio install. Worked like a charm. Thank you Jim!
Lol! Glad my posts helped. Took alot of begging for answers on the car audio forums, and lots of different answers from everyone. Finally got one guy that knew what he was talking about and was able to pick his brain for solutions.

Now I can enjoy the Aliexpress Android, and it works pretty well! Much better than the PCCM+ and looks very similar to it.

For those that are concerned it doesn't lok right in a 99 - 01 car, don't worry. Mine is a 1999, and it looks good.

Here is who I bought mine from:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...738%21im%21%21

They even installed a cooling fan at my request.

Last edited by jim010; 11-08-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 225 Posts

there are lots of variants on this page. Is there a preferred model?
Old 11-08-2023, 07:12 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Just checked it out, think you're right on the better fitting Scosche kit.

But for $185 instead of the $50 for the Scosche kit, can get a AliExpress android head that needs no kit/faceplate as its built perfect to fit only the 996.2 and looks a little like a Porsche Pccm.
I put this into my 1999 car, it it looks good. I was worried the curve wouldn't look right, but it blends in just fine. You can see the previous photos I posted to see for yourself.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:16 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
Depends. Are you going to have lots of apps running? Store lots of music and pictures? The more expensive ones may be overkill depending on how you will use it.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:39 PM
allcool
Pro

Jim010, your post about LOC also helped me get my back speakers working, thanks. Used the 2 LOC that came with the Atoto I just overlooked at first.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:42 PM
allcool
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
Ya, its confusing. Not sure,,, probably go with what Jim said about lots of installed apps need more resources... For me, I'm going with the base unit for $185 on a slow boat from China...
Old 11-08-2023, 09:31 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Ya, its confusing. Not sure,,, probably go with what Jim said about lots of installed apps need more resources... For me, I'm going with the base unit for $185 on a slow boat from China...
I got mine in about a week. I was very surprised at how fast shipping was from my vendor.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...257b1802ZikabR

Last edited by jim010; 11-08-2023 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here