Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 11:58 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
I have iphone 12 mini. My holder in the Macan is up high on the dash. I dont have carplay in the Mcan so I need it up high for WAZE!
here you go
https://www.proclipusa.com/collectio...one-car-mounts
they also have suction cup mounts
https://www.proclipusa.com/collectio...p-phone-mounts
Old 05-10-2022, 03:26 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts

Thats the exact mount I have in the Macan!
Old 05-22-2022, 06:33 PM
LarryAnderson
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default metra instructions

Originally Posted by Makoto0406
So I did some quick digging. On the crutchfield site when I entered in all my info it says it fits with mods. I did not need to mod anything other than connect the wiring harness. Whatever you do get the installation kit. It comes with the harness, Metra trim adapter and radio adapter and instructions. Its totally worth the $$.

If you don't have Nav you may need to do some mods.
1. You will need the AC controls in a lower compartment (mine were already on the bottom)
2. The metra installation instructions say you need to remove a crosspiece in the horseshoe, but several people have reported that you don't so take it with a grain of salt. Below are the metra isructions

You may or may not need to make this cut

for a double DIN instalation the HVAC controls need to go to the bottom

Makoto0406 - I have a 2000 996 with DSP, and I am trying to figure out what to do with the DSP. In your pic, it shows instructions for "With DSP", and then "continue to kit preparation"., but you didn't include that page. I went to the Metra site to try to get the instruction set, but I couldn't find it. Could you shoot those as well? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2022, 06:43 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryAnderson
Makoto0406 - I have a 2000 996 with DSP, and I am trying to figure out what to do with the DSP. In your pic, it shows instructions for "With DSP", and then "continue to kit preparation"., but you didn't include that page. I went to the Metra site to try to get the instruction set, but I couldn't find it. Could you shoot those as well? Thanks!
I have a 1999 with a DSP. FWIW I wrapped it in a T-shirt and velcro'd it to the carpet near the floor behind the HVAC, etc. It's only about 1" thick and there's room for it. Just make sure all the options on it are turned off. One of the buttons got pressed when I was doing this and it took me weeks to figure out why Siri and phone calls sounded like they were in a canyon.
The following users liked this post:
PBradz (01-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2022, 06:59 PM
LarryAnderson
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how do you like it?

Originally Posted by Quaz
I decided to go a different route on my car and replaced the double din I had with an Atoto A6. This is a full Android Auto head unit that can be customized like any Android tablet, but also runs carplay. One draw to it was the ability to run torque for OBD stats realtime. Also the interface is completely customizable. If I wanted I could add TPMS sensors as well. This brings my 99 up to having all the features of a new car.

Quaz - now that you have had it for awhile, how do you like it?
The following 2 users liked this post by LarryAnderson:
EVOMMM (05-22-2022), PBradz (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:31 PM
RobertM525
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

@LarryAnderson FWIW, we straight up removed it on my car. There was some messing around with the amp that we had to do, and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with removing the DSP module, but once we fixed that, we haven't had any further issues with it.

Now it lives in the same cardboard box that my old tape deck does, in case some future owner decides they really want that dumb thing back (along with the tape deck).
Old 05-24-2022, 09:43 AM
MBH911
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 137 Posts
Default The OP is a Deadhead so he’ll understand

Stereo upgrades recently done and it sounds fantastic while adding the many benefits of Apple Play.

If you’re a music lover I don’t know why you would spend any money upgrading the head unit but leave the factory amp and speakers in a 996. They were mediocre when new, and now they are 20 years old. This is only aftermarket modification that interests me.

I got the following installed, and the sound scape I am able to create in the cabin is extraordinary. The Pioneer double DIN allows me to adjust the mid in so many ways, the Alpine 4 channel amp is compact, clean, and far more powerful than I’ll ever need, the JL Audio 4” speakers in the dash and the rear are the highest quality-lowest priced I found, the Kicker 5 1/4 in the door but with the tweeter mounted inside the dash with the JLs give the sound separation and purity I hoped for, and the self-powered Nakamichi subwoofer was small enough to mount behind the passenger seat without limiting the movement of the seat and also provide inputs on the side rather than the bottom of the unit. And the bass reproduction is deep, clean, and more than the cabin will ever need.

The only thing I don’t love is not having a volume ****, but the Pioneer is lightning fast, has a high quality display, and as mentioned almost unlimited sound adjustments that let me optimize each component. The Sony Double DIN was too much of a compromise just to have a ****, and I’m used to tapping the screen now.

Last edited by MBH911; 05-24-2022 at 09:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBH911:
Breakthru (07-17-2022), Csuggi (08-01-2023), peterp (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:39 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 779 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MBH911
Stereo upgrades recently done and it sounds fantastic while adding the many benefits of Apple Play.

If you’re a music lover I don’t know why you would spend any money upgrading the head unit but leave the factory amp and speakers in a 996. They were mediocre when new, and now they are 20 years old. This is only aftermarket modification that interests me.

I got the following installed, and the sound scape I am able to create in the cabin is extraordinary. The Pioneer double DIN allows me to adjust the mid in so many ways, the Alpine 4 channel amp is compact, clean, and far more powerful than I’ll ever need, the JL Audio 4” speakers in the dash and the rear are the highest quality-lowest priced I found, the Kicker 5 1/4 in the door but with the tweeter mounted inside the dash with the JLs give the sound separation and purity I hoped for, and the self-powered Nakamichi subwoofer was small enough to mount behind the passenger seat without limiting the movement of the seat and also provide inputs on the side rather than the bottom of the unit. And the bass reproduction is deep, clean, and more than the cabin will ever need.

The only thing I don’t love is not having a volume ****, but the Pioneer is lightning fast, has a high quality display, and as mentioned almost unlimited sound adjustments that let me optimize each component. The Sony Double DIN was too much of a compromise just to have a ****, and I’m used to tapping the screen now.
Great info. How are you driving the front/rear/door speakers with only a 4-channel amp (would have thought you need 6-channel).

Also would be great to see how you have the Nakamichi sub mounted. I've used similar active "under seat" style car subs in my basement system when I had space constraints, and it's amazing how much bass those small and very shallow subs can produce. I haven't seen anyone put them in a 996 before (I think I recall someone on RL trying to fit one under the seat on a 996, but it didn't fit).
TheUnscented (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 02:18 PM
MBH911
Pro

Originally Posted by peterp
Great info. How are you driving the front/rear/door speakers with only a 4-channel amp (would have thought you need 6-channel).

Also would be great to see how you have the Nakamichi sub mounted. I've used similar active "under seat" style car subs in my basement system when I had space constraints, and it's amazing how much bass those small and very shallow subs can produce. I haven't seen anyone put them in a 996 before (I think I recall someone on RL trying to fit one under the seat on a 996, but it didn't fit).
- The front four speakers are being driven by two channels and the rear speakers are driven by the other two. I would have preferred to run all four 4” speakers on one and the 5 1/4 mid range speakers and tweeters on the other two, but it would have cost a bunch more to run more wire. It sounds great as is.

- I didn’t want a 5 channel amp because I knew I didn’t want to put a subwoofer box anywhere in the car. I’m a minimalist, I didn’t want to compromise the interior, and I also didn’t want something that people would see in the back. And tinting the windows on my 996 is not my style.

- The self-powered sub would not fit under the seat. And yes, the sound is very impressive.

Here are pics

the sub fit just fine.

I connected an accordion USB cable so it tucks in nicely without having a cord hanging down. And my iPhone 13 rests at an angle inside the shelf while plugged in, and does not get in the way of shifting gears.

Also like that the pioneer lets me change the display colors to orange to match the interior.

Last edited by MBH911; 05-24-2022 at 02:21 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MBH911:
Boff (05-24-2022), Breakthru (01-23-2023), peterp (05-24-2022), TheUnscented (05-25-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 04:19 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

OMG I’m totally going to do a sub that way! How did you attach it?

EDIT what’s the model number on that sub? There are 2 that are slightly different in size but look similar. Width and length would be the limiting thing Ka and the bigger one is 11.5” (290 mm) x 8.25” (210 mm). All other similar units are wider and taller.

Last edited by Boff; 05-24-2022 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:30 PM
peterp
Drifting

Nakamichi apparently makes a crazy number of low-profile/underseat subs -- 8 + a 15 "tire" sub. It's difficult to see why they need so many variations, but the more the merrier. It's too bad they don't put the dimensions in the high level description so it's easy to see which one fits whatever you're trying to use it for: https://nakamichicaraudio.com/collec...ive-subwoofers
Old 05-24-2022, 06:37 PM
MBH911
Pro

Originally Posted by Boff

EDIT what’s the model number on that sub? There are 2 that are slightly different in size but look similar. Width and length would be the limiting thing Ka and the bigger one is 11.5” (290 mm) x 8.25” (210 mm). All other similar units are wider and taller.

I didn’t do the installation so I’m afraid I can’t offer more details than to say that they put a piece of plywood between the Subwoofer and the car. Same as they did with my 4 channel Alpine amp.

Last edited by MBH911; 05-24-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Boff (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:43 PM
MBH911
Pro

And of course some people end up putting one of these subs on the driver side and one on the passenger side. I don’t think our car needs it, but hey.

On a side note, back in the 80’s and 90’s during my audiophile heyday Nakamichi, NAD, Denon, and ADS (speakers) were my home audio obsessions. So although I know nothing is what it once was, I wasn’t thinking Nakamichi for a subwoofer but I still trust Nakamichi. If they decided to make this product, I’m in.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:39 PM
peterp
Drifting

These are all the models: https://nakamichicaraudio.com/collec...ive-subwoofers

There's only one with a 6x9 driver, so it must be the NBF618s-II. It's 290mm x 210 x 73mm. The shallowest model is 69mm tall (2.7") and the smallest is 260 x 195 x 72mm. Not sure if either of those smaller ones would make enough difference to actually fit under a 996 seat.
Boff (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 09:59 PM
MBH911
Pro

Originally Posted by peterp
These are all the models: https://nakamichicaraudio.com/collec...ive-subwoofers

There's only one with a 6x9 driver, so it must be the NBF618s-II. It's 290mm x 210 x 73mm.
Correct. The picture I posted was of the actual box.
The following 3 users liked this post by MBH911:
Boff (05-24-2022), peterp (05-24-2022), TheUnscented (05-25-2022)

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here